Overall rating and opinion of the "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Overall rating and opinion of the "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by melissy370 »

I have only read the sample and won't be reading the full book. For me the narrative did flow well and at times seemed choppy. The author gave excess information in parts and I really wanted him to get on with the story. I love this genre but hate when it is written poorly. I did enjoy the pear of wisdom where Brimstone realizes people view him differently because he was a mage now. So true in how people's opinion can be fickle. Overall I give this book a 2 out of 4 stars. A great concept but needs to be developed more.
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

I’m deciding whether to read this book or not. I appreciate reading all your comments and varied views. It seems fairly consistent that if you like this genre this would be a good choice. Thank you.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I enjoyed the book a lot because I really like these kind of genres. Really a fan of other worlds and kingdoms. The way the author introduced this magical world is also superb! Overall, it's a 4/4 rating! I'd recommend it to anyone who also likes Harry Potter and such.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

The book was for the most part enjoyable. I typically am not a reader of fantasy novels of this kind, but I did find elements of the book that are very interesting. The author did a great job paying attention to detail when describing the worlds and battle scenes. I will say that it was a bit graphic for my own taste, but for readers who enjoy the attention to detail, this book hits the nail on the head.I would recommend this book to those who take interest in this specific genre, as they would be able to appreciate the content more. The book gets 3 out of 4 stars from me because of the minor errors it has, but none the less it is a great book.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
PriyaRD
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by PriyaRD »

I am yet to read the book. I can see some of them relating this book to the Harry Potter and Games of Thrones.So I think I can give a try :)
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I have not read neither of the two books but the comments above has motivated me to read as early as possible. I will read and come back here to comments. Thanks for such great comments.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Crazy wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 14:28 what a great book!! i do not really like reading but this book here got me hooked..love it
If you don't like reading, what did you find so compelling about this book in particular?
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Palfree wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 16:19 I found this book exciting. I couldn't wait to keep reading to see what would happen next. I was frustrated that due to an error during download my kindle left off the last eight pages of the book. I look forward to the next book.
The last eight pages were missing?! That stinks!
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

PriyaRD wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 16:11 I am yet to read the book. I can see some of them relating this book to the Harry Potter and Games of Thrones. So I think I can give a try :)
Have you started it yet? I've heard it compared to those two series a lot and that seems like a very strange mix to me.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I haven't read this book yet. Hoping one day I can read it too. But as I've read some of the reviews I found it very interesting book to read. I cannot compare the highlight of the book from Harry Potter, though it has a similarity context. But I really admire the braveness of the Character (Leaf) that he was able to win the trial combat and give him a respectful name 'Brimstone.'
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
HOSEANYATU
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 94

Post by HOSEANYATU »

most i like the book that talk about kingdoms.Also reflect the system of ruling today. so i enjoyed that book
HOSEANYATU
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 94

Post by HOSEANYATU »

most i like the book that talk about kingdoms.Also reflect the system of ruling today. so i enjoyed that book
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I haven’t finished the book, but so far I like the fast-paced plot and compelling characters. Not a big fan of all the violence.
Chiara_fernando
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiara-fernando.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Chiara_fernando »

I'm a huge fan of fantasy books! Although I haven't read the book yet, base on what you guys are saying, I think I will surely love this one. This might be the second book I'm going to review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Overall, I enjoyed this book. As the book progressed, I found myself wishing Rose had given a bit more time developing the characters. He could have really had them personify their chosen elements by adding to their speech patterns, eating habits, clothing etc.

I was also let down by his jumps from dialogue to narrator at inopportune times. That seemed his chosen style when divulging long explanations.

I would categorize myself as a fantasy reader before any other genre and I was both sad and glad to find so many other books represented in this one. I found myself looking for a bit more originality out of Rose. I am understandably late to the game on this book's discussion but I created a forum topic to discuss the ideas in this book that mirror those in other books.
Last edited by Gravy on 28 Jan 2018, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to review
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”