Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Best/Not-so-Great Book-to-Movie Adaptation Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

We know that this is pretty accurate when it comes to Book-to-Movie adaptations:

The Movie, The Book.jpg
The Movie, The Book.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
(image was found on google)

But, this doesn't mean that there aren't good movie adaptations of books. So, I thought it would be fun to discuss which movies we thought were the best book-to-movie adaptations and maybe those that were not-so-great book-to-movie adaptations.

Here some guiding questions to begin (feel free to add more to this discussion):
  • What book-to-movie will you be discussing?
  • What made the movie the best or not-so-great?
  • Were there scenes you missed? Why do you think they were cut out?
  • Did the changes affect the movie in a positive light?
  • Would you say the movie stayed true to the core message of the book? If not, why not?
Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well as I went on about on another of these topics, I found a great adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. It's the mini series version featuring Colin firth. It is about 6 hours and really does the book justice.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 20:05 Well as I went on about on another of these topics, I found a great adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. It's the mini series version featuring Colin firth. It is about 6 hours and really does the book justice.
Seconding that! The TV series brought the book to life. It's interesting how well Austen adapts to a medium that didn't exist when she was writing. Same with Dickens, though those books were the TV of their day of course.

I recently saw the film Paddington, an adaptation of classic books from my childhood. It had some merits as an up-to-date version of the story. They made the most of Paddington's talent for creating havoc and Mrs Bird's ability to fix things was a nice touch. However, the attempts at creating tension by introducing a foe for Paddington fell flat for me. Overall, some of the quirky charm of the original was lost. One of the most disappointing aspects was the reduction of Mr Gruber to a cameo :( .
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 20:05 Well as I went on about on another of these topics, I found a great adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. It's the mini series version featuring Colin firth. It is about 6 hours and really does the book justice.
I definitely will be looking for this! I am absolutely obsessed with Pride and Prejudice, and I have yet to see an adaptation that I have truly enjoyed.

Return to “January 2018 Genre Discussion”