Can young adults identify with the main characters?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Can young adults identify with the main characters?

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Young adults are still in that phase of their lives questing for discoveries. Let them discover this book, relate to it, and maybe, discover themselves in the process.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that young adults could relate to Brimstone especially because of the theme of bullying. I also believe that the background of Brimstone being an orphan who is discovering himself appeals to teenagers who are trying to figure out who they are. I like that Brimstone is not a stereotypical hero. He has his flaws and his struggles which make him a more realistic character.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

It seems so sad to me that the theme of bullying is one of the biggest reasons we think young adults will identify with the main characters. Do you think they can learn better ways to handle bullying from reading this book? On the other hand, do you think that kids who are guilty of being bullies might start to see the err of their ways because of this story?
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Katherine Smith wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 14:13 I think that young adults could relate to Brimstone especially because of the theme of bullying. I also believe that the background of Brimstone being an orphan who is discovering himself appeals to teenagers who are trying to figure out who they are. I like that Brimstone is not a stereotypical hero. He has his flaws and his struggles which make him a more realistic character.
I like that about Brimstone, as well. He’s an underdog who had to work really hard in his rise to the top.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I think most young adults can relate to the general themes of insecurities faced by a teenager, awkwardness in social settings, obsessing about their looks, dealing with bullying and generally finding their way into the world. So yes, I think the main characters are relatable.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

CommMayo wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 22:57 It seems so sad to me that the theme of bullying is one of the biggest reasons we think young adults will identify with the main characters. Do you think they can learn better ways to handle bullying from reading this book? On the other hand, do you think that kids who are guilty of being bullies might start to see the err of their ways because of this story?
I agree with you. My immediate thought when considering whether or not young adults could relate, was that it is highly unfortunate that the reason I think they can isn’t a positive one. As far as whether or not a book can change the mindset of a bully, I can’t really say. I know people change over time, but unless they were already on their way to seeing the effects they have in those they bully, then I’m not convinced a book could change anything right away. It would certainly be nice if it helped, though.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I think that young adults would be able to relate to the characters. They are very compelling and relatable, which is very important.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

I have a hard time putting books in the Young Adult genre. I am 50 years old this year, and when I read books categorized as YA, I find that I enjoy the stories that are well written, with good/great character development, and that don't spend the entire story emphasizing the differences between 'adults' and 'children'.

This book does that right off by placing Brimstone as Nova's apprentice. The apprentice position puts Brimstone in a category of respect, therefore Brimstone isn't expected to behave in the typically portrayed schoolboy manner. This is a teacher/student relationship that could include people of any age in either position; skill is the decision maker, not age.

As people, when we can look beyond age, we can treat others as humans based on their character and skill. This is what will make our society a better place.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Perhaps the question should have be: Can the reader identify with the main characters?
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Acwoolet wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 20:49 I think that young adults would be able to relate to the characters. They are very compelling and relatable, which is very important.
I agree with you on the importance of relatable characters. I usually can’t move forward with a book or series if the characters are not, in some way, relatable.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

ktrae910 wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 09:01 I have a hard time putting books in the Young Adult genre. I am 50 years old this year, and when I read books categorized as YA, I find that I enjoy the stories that are well written, with good/great character development, and that don't spend the entire story emphasizing the differences between 'adults' and 'children'.

This book does that right off by placing Brimstone as Nova's apprentice. The apprentice position puts Brimstone in a category of respect, therefore Brimstone isn't expected to behave in the typically portrayed schoolboy manner. This is a teacher/student relationship that could include people of any age in either position; skill is the decision maker, not age.

As people, when we can look beyond age, we can treat others as humans based on their character and skill. This is what will make our society a better place.
I agree that we should look beyond age, as the manners of Brimstone and the other Crimson members do foster respect. However, I also think it’s important to remember their ages. While experiencing the mature obligations of heroic mages, these Crimson members are also dealing with the inner turmoils of their respective ages.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

I agree with Dhwanis here... young adults are definitely drawn to stories like this! Going through that awkward stage can be, well, awkward. Having characters to relate to in stories makes a young adult not feel so alone; thus empowering them along the way. They can gather a sense of belonging and empowerment leading over into other areas of their life. Another reason (among millions!) of why books are phenomenal!

Happy reading!
Jebolina
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jebolina.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jebolina »

Yes I believe young adults would be able to easily relate to this. The rhetorics are their thing. Am a young adult and I relate to such in my own way.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I think this book has many things that young adults could relate to, chief among them bullying as well as having insecurities.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
CoffeeQueen91
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CoffeeQueen91 »

I mean it's kind of fantastical, so no in that sense, but if you really think about their struggles inherent of human nature..the fear, the faith, all of the other emotions that people must learn to live with, I think young adults can definitely relate, even if the scenario is different!

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”