Favorite Childhood Picture Book(s)

For November 2017, we will be reading picture books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Favorite Childhood Picture Book(s)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Reflecting back, that are so many good picture books out there. What picture books come to mind as you were growing up? Why were these so important to you?

I remember growing up with some of the Little Golden Books! The one that comes to mind more is The Poky Little Puppy. What I liked most about this book were the illustrations. I wasn't a very strong reader growing up, so the illustrations were key for me to even open a book.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

I think of that book about the hungry caterpillar. I also had a lot of those little golden books when I was little! I was obsessed with the Little Critter books, mostly.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

The Gruffalo!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Are you my mother. Loved that book
Elena Marianne
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-marianne.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Elena Marianne »

I still remember very clearly the images of my favorite childhood picture book, a book about a teddy bear that got lost in the forest and his quest to find his home. Although it didn't have any text, the pictures were so beautiful and narrating that I didn't realize there was no text until I was old enough to read it myself and I couldn't find any word to read. Sadly I forgot the name, but in my imagination it's called "The adventures of Teddy".
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Lincolnshirelass

I also always loved pop-up books and books with tabs you pulled out and lifted up. I had a wonderful Christmas one where you could make Santa pop in and out of the chimney.

Mahatma Gandhi
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

“Hatty Batty, the Bookworm Witch”

I’m pretty sure it was the book that started my love of both books and fantasy.
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

hsimone wrote:Reflecting back, that are so many good picture books out there. What picture books come to mind as you were growing up? Why were these so important to you?

I remember growing up with some of the Little Golden Books! The one that comes to mind more is The Poky Little Puppy. What I liked most about this book were the illustrations. I wasn't a very strong reader growing up, so the illustrations were key for me to even open a book.
I also remember little golden books! There were always a few available in my grandma's car in case her errands were taking too long and I was getting impatient (this was the time before tablets).

I remember quite a few picture books from when I was a child. The ones that I remember the most clearly had vivid illustrations that inspired me to create my own pictures and stories. Some of my favorites were Animalia by Graeme Base, Dinotopia by James Gurney, Stellaluna by Janelle Cannon, Good Dog Carl by Alexandra Day, and so many more I cannot remember the titles or authors but I would recognize the cover and illustrations.

I also loved the books by Eric Carle (The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and so many more), Shel Silverstein (The Giving Tree, and Where the Sidewalk Ends),If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff and Felicia Bond, Life Doesn't Frighten Me by Maya Angelou and Jean-Michel Basquiat and I think I could just keep listing books but I'll stop there.

Many of these books shared messages of encouragement, how to overcome obstacles or problems, others were more shapes and colors oriented (camouflaged animals you have to find), and other things. Someday I plan to have a bookshelf full of books that I loved as a child that I could share with my own children. For now, I settle for a bankers box and a wishlist.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
tlynnduhart

Post by tlynnduhart »

Stone Soup, from my elementary school days. It was basically my first cook book haha. 20 years pass, and now I read it to my neice. It always makes me hungry.
Ariana sandhu

Post by Ariana sandhu »

Stone soup was my favorite book too.
Lincolnshirelass

I have to admit - btw I live in the UK - that until very recently I thought that Stone Soup was only a story that Ma made up in 'Little House on the Prairie' to teach a lesson about help and co-operation! I will certainly look out the original.

On another topic, though this isn't about picture books as such, I love Quentin Blake's illustrations for Roald Dahl's books.

Mahatma Gandhi
Melee3
Currently Reading: Alien in the Delta
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melee3.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Melee3 »

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein was my favorite picture book as a child.
The message of the book has changed over the years because I’ve grown, but it’s still one of the best.

-- 26 Nov 2017, 22:22 --

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein was my favorite picture book as a child.
The message of the book has changed over the years because I’ve grown, but it’s still one of the best.
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

Dr. Suess books have always been my favorite. The outlandish characters and fake words always kept my interest as a kid. Going into Suesslandia in Universal Islands of Adventure as an adult was definitely a childhood dream come true.

Return to “November 2017 Genre Discussion”