Official Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chubby Wubbles" by M. J. Abrams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With its weasel relatives and a penchant for sleeping most of the day, a ferret isn’t exactly the pet every child dreams of raising, but M. J. Abrams’ book Chubby Wubbles: A Ferret’s Tale is trying to change that fact. A short book illustrated by photographs, this children’s tale tells the story of the ferret, Chubby.

Just before Chubby the ferret moves into a new home, his lifelong friend and fellow ferret, Coco, mysteriously goes missing. Chubby is distressed by her absence, but he is soon distracted by his transition into a new home. As the reader peruses the book, he or she will learn what kinds of trouble Chubby will find as he explores his new surroundings and whether he will ever meet up with his dear friend Coco again.

The photograph illustrations in this book made it special. In children’s books, pictures are especially important because they keep nonreaders and beginning readers engaged in the story and bring the characters to life. Especially for children who may never have encountered a ferret before, the photographs will make the story feel very real. Some readers might prefer to have the human characters Mark and Jeffrey included in the photographs, but others might use their absence to imagine themselves in the humans’ places.

The writing itself was adequate, but it could be improved. There were no obvious spelling or grammar errors, and the story stayed away from difficult words, for the most part. However, the writing seems hastily put together and focuses more on telling the story than showing it. The point of view is unclear, as sometimes the storytelling seems to emanate from the humans’ perspective while at other times it seems to switch to Chubby’s perspective. The author glosses over details and small events that potentially could have been excellent plot points. The initial search for Coco in the very beginning, for example, could have been drawn out a bit in order to show Chubby’s love for his friend.

The dual plot-line would also be a debatable detail. In a book that is only 24 pages long (including photographs), there is a lot of ground to cover. This means that plot developments happen rapidly with little contemplation ahead of time or reflection after the fact. There were plenty of spaces where it seemed like the material begged for elaboration so as to explore a feeling or a phenomenon. It feels like Chubby could be a feature character in a series of books derived from this one if the plot were thoroughly explored.

As the book stands, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Chubby Wubbles: A Ferret’s Tale is unique among children’s books by virtue of the photographic illustrations and the species of its main character. The lack of errors also contributes to its high rating. With that acknowledged, the book could still be improved, and I hope the author does revisit the text in order to draw out its full potential as a story. Maybe there will be some children who start hoping for their own pet ferrets just like in the book.

Chubby Wubbles
View: on Bookshelves

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ngelangela
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ngelangela »

This book need to improve in term of its content. To cover the need of nowdays children
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Personally, I LIKE ferrets. I think they are cute. I have yet to have one as a pet, but I would definitely consider it. I love the actual photographs as well. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I would love to read the book to my 5 year old niece. The photograph illustrations are helpful in enhancing the reader's understanding of and engagement with the book.

-- 05 Nov 2017, 19:56 --
However, the writing seems hastily put together and focuses more on telling the story than showing it
It can be really challenging to not be able to see the bigger picture of the story that you are reading... :roll:
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Beautiful review! Thank you for writing this. It really helped me. :D
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I would love to read this book to the kids. This is the first time I have read about ferret as a pet.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

My daughter loves animals, so this would probably be a book she would enjoy!
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love the title of this book! As you were discussing some of your critiques, I too was thinking "Oh, the author should have turned this story into several books." Thanks for the well thought out review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for your review. Because children's books tend to be short, it gives the author more credit if they are superbly edited.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I think I might peruse this book just for the photos alone. I love ferrets as well. Nice review, L_Therese.
Wawira254

Post by Wawira254 »

I love this book. However, there is need to improve the content in it for purposes of the children.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

You mention dual plot-lines. I'm only getting a sense of one real plot from your review, the search for Coco. What is the other plot? I like how you mentioned the importance of the photographs; for children's novels especially, I absolutely agree with this sentiment.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

This book looks SO cute! Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Michael Davids daudi

Post by Michael Davids daudi »

Loved it
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Having photographs instead of drawings makes the book more real to kids. I like the idea of having a ferret as a main character. I think kids, as well as adults, can learn more about them throughout the story. Too bad the author didn't develop the plot more profoundly. Perhaps this can be arranged for the next edition. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”