First Stephen King book to read?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
MichelleP1708
Currently Reading: Night Stand
Bookshelf Size: 0

First Stephen King book to read?

Post by MichelleP1708 »

As an avid reader, I can't believe I haven't delved into King's work yet! However I am committed to reading one of his novels. However, there are so many to chose from it's difficult to know where to start. Looking for recommendations for where to start..
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would start with one of his compilations of stories. That way you can get several stories. If you don't like one, you might like another. Night Shift was his first collection of short stories and it includes many of his most famous ones (including ones movies were made from...) You might try that.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MichelleP1708
Currently Reading: Night Stand

Post by MichelleP1708 »

Thanks for the recommendation. I was actually thinking that one of his compilations might be a good place to start.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I have not read all of his books. Some I dont think I will read because woah. I would start with The Dome or The Shining.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I agree a compilation is a great place to start. Some of his books that were made into movies would be a good starting place to, like Carrie, the Shining, or the Green Mile. 11/23/63 and Mr. Mercedes are two of his more recent books that are very popular. I would recommend them.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

Rose Madder was my first Stephen King book and I highly recommend it.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
HermitReviewer

Post by HermitReviewer »

My first Stephen King book was Carrie but I recommend The Green Mile to start out as Carrie nearly put me off
Howeread56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Howeread56 »

Try reading Everything's Eventual. Very good book.
Pat Cooper

Post by Pat Cooper »

We listened to this book on a trip. It was entralling. In some parts of the book we set in the car to listen to the story. Would recomend to anyone.
tummi-
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele

Post by tummi- »

My first Stephen King book to read was Carrie. It was my first timer to read a horror/thriller book and I was fascinated my it. The second book was IT and I was hooked. Since then I can't pass a Stephen King book without buying. Would recommend to anyone .
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

My first Stephen King book was It. The Shining would be a good introduction... But it really depends on what you'd be interested in. He's nearly universally labeled horror but the scare factor in his books take a wide variety of forms. The Shining, Carrie, Firestarter, Pet Sematary are in the supernatural/paranormal genre. He does some very mortal horror, for instance, Cujo, and I'd count Under the Dome too. Monsters: It, Salem's Lot. And he also does some weird twisty turny fantasy: Insomnia, Rose Madder, Lisey's Story. And Dreamcatcher which I put in a genre all of its own called "Oh hell no"
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I would start with IT. There are so many references and strange little hints in his other books that refer to that one. It's scary as all get out and it will prepare you to enter the darkness.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Rukiya Hatcher
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Rukiya Hatcher »

Hi! I've been reading Stephen King since I was young (probably too young), and I started with Cujo. However, if you'd like to be horrified beyond belief, right off the bat, can't go wrong with Pet Sematary. If you have time, I also think The Stand is a good jumping off point. It's a perfect balance between his two big strengths: utterly terrifying you with the supernatural and utterly terrifying you with human nature.

I have mixed feelings about his work after his motorcycle accident, I think it's way less scary and more thoughtful, but if you want to ease yourself into it, maybe start there.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

MichelleP1708 wrote: 12 Sep 2017, 13:32 As an avid reader, I can't believe I haven't delved into King's work yet! However I am committed to reading one of his novels. However, there are so many to chose from it's difficult to know where to start. Looking for recommendations for where to start..
I recommend that you start with Carrie or The Shining. You can't go wrong with a classic.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I guess it all depends on how "out there" you want to get. Some are very far-fetched - others more down to earth. My favorite was The Stand so I would have to recommend that. Enjoy...they are all great.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”