I am vs. I'm

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

I am vs. I'm

Post by Pm7lucas »

Did anyone else notice that in this book, the author had a tendency to use the phrase "I am" instead of the contraction "I'm"? I found this to be slightly annoying when reading the book.

If the character in a novel is foreign and English is his/her second language, then using "I am" makes perfect sense, but if the character is a native English speaker, the use of "I am" seems unlikely...

Any thoughts on this?

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I actually prefer the phrase 'I am' to the contraction 'I'm.' It just seems more professional to me.
Ljessup
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

Christina Rose wrote:I actually prefer the phrase 'I am' to the contraction 'I'm.' It just seems more professional to me.
I agree with you! I enjoy using "I am" whether I am speaking or writing. I too, think it sounds more professional and I also think that it makes a paper stronger to use less contractions.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Ljessup wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:I actually prefer the phrase 'I am' to the contraction 'I'm.' It just seems more professional to me.
I agree with you! I enjoy using "I am" whether I am speaking or writing. I too, think it sounds more professional and I also think that it makes a paper stronger to use less contractions.
While reading, I will sometimes even catch myself thinking out the phrase 'I am' even when the contraction was actually used in the sentence, if that makes sense.
I agree with your opinion on a paper being stronger when less contractions are used.
Ljessup
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html

Post by Ljessup »

Christina Rose wrote:
Ljessup wrote:
While reading, I will sometimes even catch myself thinking out the phrase 'I am' even when the contraction was actually used in the sentence, if that makes sense.
I agree with your opinion on a paper being stronger when less contractions are used.
[
I do the same thing, so it does to make sense to me. I also sometimes say it aloud because my thoughts will get stuck on the contraction used instead of continuing to read on and critique whatever it is I am reading. I do use contractions when I am in a hurry though and every so often when I am texting it will autocorrect to contractions, which has always confused me, but nonetheless I just prefer to write most everything out. :D
michiness
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michiness.html
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz

Post by michiness »

It does sound more formal and less casual... because it is.
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz
May-an Tinangag
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by May-an Tinangag »

For me, it is just the same whether you will use I'm or I am in a sentence because 'I'm' is a contraction in which the apostrophe takes the place of the 'a' which is taken out to shorten the sound of the word.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Pm7lucas wrote:Did anyone else notice that in this book, the author had a tendency to use the phrase "I am" instead of the contraction "I'm"? I found this to be slightly annoying when reading the book.

If the character in a novel is foreign and English is his/her second language, then using "I am" makes perfect sense, but if the character is a native English speaker, the use of "I am" seems unlikely...

Any thoughts on this?

Paula :D
I think that it's a matter of preference, either are fine in my opinion at least.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I agree with you Paola. Both are grammatically correct and mean the same thing. "I am" is more formal and used rarely so it's more impactful for me when it is used. "I'm" is more casual and flows better.
EmSwan
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emswan.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by EmSwan »

I would use them differently depending on the context, I feel as though 'I'm' is more informal and less declarative, for example 'I'm friends with my sister' whilst 'I Am' feels more decisive and formal, for example, the quote "I think therefore I Am'
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
riazziea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riazziea.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by riazziea »

I believe that it has to do with how the writer and narrorator are speaking. If the book is in first person and is more towards the conversational side of things, then I'm would seem appropriate. If it's more of a general telling or explanation I am seems to fit. Also when writing dialogue, I'm should be used because that is the normal vernacular and having someone say "I am" would sound strange. It really all depends on the context of the phrases.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)" by Victor Rose
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I was taught to avoid using contractions because they are informal. Therefore, I tend to write 'I am' most of the time. However, when speaking I use 'I'm'.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

I am seems to make a more of a point of something and maybe hints at higher education and clear diction.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

In a book, I think "I am" should be used, except for speech. At least that's what I was taught.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Since the book is written in the first person, I'd say you're right and the use of the contracted form would add more credibility to the character's speech.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”