Man as servant of technology

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Man as servant of technology

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

In this story, Alex Fine used Technology to improve his life and to reach out to people in need. In reality, is technology the servant of man or the other way?
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

It could be either, depending on the individual. If a person lets themselves be tied to their smartphone or other device, that is a choice to be a servant of technology. I think we would collectively be better off if each of us individually "unplugged" on a regular basis-which is what I'm going to do now!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

As the mobile phone becomes smarter, it also becomes more and more indispensable. It is now phone, radio, camera, tv, book, diary, computer, map, clock, flashlight, dictionary, and who knows what else. (In Japan, phones are swiped at train stations and stores to pay for purchases.) Will the day come when people will no longer need to meet other people in person? I dread the day when one's need for companionship will be met by a lifeless phone.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I always found it interesting how in the movie Matrix they never really explained how the machines took over. Looking at the modern world, I'm not surprised if it would be a slow boil and at some point in effect slavery to machines is just the latest must-have fad.
Donnavila Marie01

Spirit Wandering wrote:It could be either, depending on the individual. If a person lets themselves be tied to their smartphone or other device, that is a choice to be a servant of technology. I think we would collectively be better off if each of us individually "unplugged" on a regular basis-which is what I'm going to do now!
Nice one. I hope we would really comment to unplugging our gadgets once a day to be with ourselves and our family.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

We are servants to technology. People are constantly on their devices. People spend more time with electronics than they do anything else!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
Spirit Wandering wrote:It could be either, depending on the individual. If a person lets themselves be tied to their smartphone or other device, that is a choice to be a servant of technology. I think we would collectively be better off if each of us individually "unplugged" on a regular basis-which is what I'm going to do now!
Nice one. I hope we would really comment to unplugging our gadgets once a day to be with ourselves and our family.
Thanks!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

People can choose to use their technology like the tools they are, which is what I do. I'm on my computer a lot because it's where my work is, but I limit time on my phone to once a day to keep myself productive. Others, unfortunately, respond to every noise their phone makes and I find that slavish.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think technology SHOULD be the tool of the user, but it does turn out to be the other way around sometimes. Technology has made our life easier in some ways, but in other ways, it keeps us from being closer together.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

From an employee perspective, I would say it goes both ways. For example, where I work computers are used to track patient care, and to cull information from our patient population. In that regard, technology is at the mercy of human beings. On the other hand, when the computers go down, or when there are glitches that impede our progress, we are definitely at technology's mercy!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Donnavila Marie01

The irony of technology is that it connects people from all over the world but at times, it separates people who are physically near each other.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I do think we've become a servant of technology. It takes a conscious effort to make it be the other way around, keeping it as a tool that we are not glued to.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Donnavila Marie01

e-tasana-williams wrote:From an employee perspective, I would say it goes both ways. For example, where I work computers are used to track patient care, and to cull information from our patient population. In that regard, technology is at the mercy of human beings. On the other hand, when the computers go down, or when there are glitches that impede our progress, we are definitely at technology's mercy!
I agree. If I need to prepare for my lessons in the university, I need the aid of technology. In some instances, I can still prepare my lessons even without technology because we have the printed materials.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote:I think technology SHOULD be the tool of the user, but it does turn out to be the other way around sometimes. Technology has made our life easier in some ways, but in other ways, it keeps us from being closer together.
This is exactly how I feel. It is so irritating when we are out for dinner with other people and someone whips out their phone. For what? I'm not really sure, but I feel like when we purposely are trying to spend time with people, then that's what we should be doing, not being on phones. Unless there is an emergency, there really isn't a need to pull out phones when out to dinner.

Of course, this happens more than just going out to dinner. Even at home, when we should be trying to spend quality time with our loved ones, sometimes that gets pushed aside for some electronic device.

Being technically connected has its benefits, but there definitely should be a balance of using it versus connecting with loved ones.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I think, generally speaking, technology is still a servant of man. Even those of us glued to our screens all day are still utilizing those screens to do productive things (at least some of the time) or to waste time in the way that we see fit. Technology simply gives us a gateway to many things we did not previously have easy access to.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”