Thoughts on the possibility of a female God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Krystagbelen
Posts: 20
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 18:39
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krystagbelen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Thoughts on the possibility of a female God?

Post by Krystagbelen »

In the book, God is often referred to as She. What are your thoughts on the possibility of there being a female God? What would be some key differences between a female God and a male God?
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

User avatar
Swara Sangeet
Posts: 771
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 04:28
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 7
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Currently Reading: E M P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swara-sangeet.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Swara Sangeet »

Actually in Hindu mythology, there ARE female Gods. I believe it is the same in Roman, Greek and Egyptian mythology as well. I do not believe in God, but I do believe in gender equality!

User avatar
arnohmata
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Jun 2017, 04:48
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by arnohmata »

I agree with that

User avatar
jemgirl202
Posts: 1211
Joined: 17 Feb 2016, 15:33
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 849
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: A Civil War by Lee Field

Post by jemgirl202 »

I think in the context of the book, it is a definite possibility. As for in reality, it can go both ways. I don't think anyone knows. I think people are constantly trying to make sense of God and that can be limiting.

User avatar
khusnick
Posts: 82
Joined: 25 May 2017, 17:20
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

I don't believe in any form of god, but I don't see why there couldn't be a female god. Obviously that wouldn't be in any current major organized religion because they have their beliefs spelled out already. Goddesses were a thing in ancient times, and for people who still practice forms of paganism, that is still believed.

The only difference I would expect is what you would call her: a goddess instead of a god.

User avatar
Swara Sangeet
Posts: 771
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 04:28
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 7
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Currently Reading: E M P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swara-sangeet.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Swara Sangeet »

khusnick wrote:I don't believe in any form of god, but I don't see why there couldn't be a female god. Obviously that wouldn't be in any current major organized religion because they have their beliefs spelled out already. Goddesses were a thing in ancient times, and for people who still practice forms of paganism, that is still believed.

The only difference I would expect is what you would call her: a goddess instead of a god.
I agree with this!

rhiza021
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Jun 2017, 04:41
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by rhiza021 »

I think that depends on one's religion and culture. In Roman and Greek mythology, there are female Gods. However, does God (Gods for others) have a gender in the first place? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I don't think it's really the same thing as for us humans and other animals.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

User avatar
Swara Sangeet
Posts: 771
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 04:28
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 7
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Currently Reading: E M P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swara-sangeet.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Swara Sangeet »

rhiza021 wrote:I think that depends on one's religion and culture. In Roman and Greek mythology, there are female Gods. However, does God (Gods for others) have a gender in the first place? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I don't think it's really the same thing as for us humans and other animals.
It's true that in Hinduism, God is known to be 'niraakara' i.e., without any shape. So I guess we can't decide the gender if there is no shape at all.

rhiza021
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Jun 2017, 04:41
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by rhiza021 »

Swara Sangeet wrote:
rhiza021 wrote:I think that depends on one's religion and culture. In Roman and Greek mythology, there are female Gods. However, does God (Gods for others) have a gender in the first place? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I don't think it's really the same thing as for us humans and other animals.
It's true that in Hinduism, God is known to be 'niraakara' i.e., without any shape. So I guess we can't decide the gender if there is no shape at all.
Indeed.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

User avatar
masterhawk88
Posts: 49
Joined: 19 May 2017, 23:50
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masterhawk88.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by masterhawk88 »

In Christianity God is referred to as He. This has a lot to do with Jesus being male, and the ways of the time I think (fathers were seen as the protector and lord of the home). There are holy texts outside of the Bible that suggest God is neither male or female, that He exists in a form our minds can't comprehend.

Many other religions mostly older pagan ones had hundreds or even thousands of deities (the last existing polytheistic religion that's widely practiced is Hinduism if I'm not mistaken) some of whom were indeed female. Usually being goddesses related to nature, mothering, and beauty.
Through books, I have lived not just one life but thousands.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Anugo
Posts: 11
Joined: 08 Jun 2017, 16:58
Currently Reading: Missing Danny
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Anugo »

Of course there are female gods. Even in Africa, so many gods are referred to as she. The book will be a blast.

User avatar
EMoffat
Posts: 279
Joined: 24 Apr 2017, 15:50
2017 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 102
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I see no reason, if there is a God, why that God could not be female. I like that in literature, God is sometimes portrayed as female - in-powering the female race (which is so often needed).

User avatar
HunaHuna
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Jun 2017, 20:38
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HunaHuna »

For me there is a big possibility of God, but I do not think of God as male or female. Humans were created by his image according to Christianity. And Adam was first made before Eve. But you could argue that Eve was made from Adams rib who is an image of God. Therefore God has no gender because both male and female came from God. Besides an image does not necessarily depict God in his entirety because an image is perceived by us and all of us has different perspectives.

User avatar
masterhawk88
Posts: 49
Joined: 19 May 2017, 23:50
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masterhawk88.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by masterhawk88 »

EMoffat wrote:I see no reason, if there is a God, why that God could not be female. I like that in literature, God is sometimes portrayed as female - in-powering the female race (which is so often needed).
Females aren't a race they're a biological sex. Race itself is an artificial construct to differentiate varying amounts of melanin content. We're not even subspecies of each other like you see in many other mammals. To conclude this expository and contrarily minded onslaught, I also don't see where females need empowering in a world where males and females are equal under the law. (In countries where this isn't the case I see your point.)
Through books, I have lived not just one life but thousands.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

User avatar
TobiOrNotTobi
Posts: 50
Joined: 08 Jun 2017, 18:56
2017 Reading Goal: 46
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

I mean, there are goddesses (female gods), but if you're talking about who Christians worship, that will most likely not be true. In the Bible, God is referred to as a "he," so there is no possibility of God (if that's who you were referring to) being a female.

I believe if God was a female, there would be a major difference on views on men and women. Just think if females were supposed to be the head of households, the rulers, the politicians, etc. before they had any kind of role in society.
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”