Having syfy fantasy withdraws

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Having syfy fantasy withdraws

Post by NerdGirl91 »

First off I'm very new here so hello everyone! I'm Roxanna and am a book lover that no one in my immediate family understands. I'm not surrounded by other book lovers at home so it was wonderful to find you all.

So my favorite series currently are, The Anita Blake Series by Laurell K Hamilton, The League by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Dark-Hunters Also by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I'm looking for another author similar to them, with or without the erotic nature. I'm drawn more by the plots, adventure, and syfy themes of the books.

The science fiction fantasy books have always been my favorite. The way an author can take you into this entirely new world and suck you into it to the point you feel it could be real is the best! After reading a Dark-Hunter novel I'm looking for demi-gods in my neighborhood. After reading a League book I can imagine the other worlds in the galaxy. After I read about Anita and her sexy vampires and werewolves, every attractive man becomes one too. That's the type of books I love, the ones that make you believe.

So any recommendation of similar, books, authors, or series would be appreciated!

THANKS! :D
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Maybe you could give The Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, and White) by Ted Dekker a try. I loved all three of them myself.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
NerdGirl91

Post by NerdGirl91 »

rssllue wrote:Maybe you could give The Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, and White) by Ted Dekker a try. I loved all three of them myself.
I Loved that series! It's on my bookshelf. I recently bought another series by Ted Dekker that I haven't started yet! Great suggestion though and anyone who reads this forum should give The Circle Trilogy a try. Well worth the read.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very cool! 8)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Try Linnea Sinclair. One of my favourite authors in that genre. Also Alexandra Ivy.
NerdGirl91

Post by NerdGirl91 »

Thanks!
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live.
-Annie Dillard
Beautyandtheblog
Currently Reading: The Silence of the Lambs
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautyandtheblog.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Beautyandtheblog »

Tried the Black Dagger Brotherhood series? JR Ward is an amazing author!! Also, try Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones. Good female lead and a lot of great humor in it too!!
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
NerdGirl91

Post by NerdGirl91 »

I will look them up! Thanks!
-Annie Dillard
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

Have you read Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs, Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) by Keri Arthur or The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter?
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
NerdGirl91

Post by NerdGirl91 »

ylisa7 wrote:Have you read Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs, Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) by Keri Arthur or The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter?
Moon Called sounds familiar. I'll have to see if I read it or not but the rest I have not. I'll add them to my list to check out! Thanks!
-Annie Dillard
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

NerdGirl91 wrote:
ylisa7 wrote:Have you read Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs, Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) by Keri Arthur or The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter?
Moon Called sounds familiar. I'll have to see if I read it or not but the rest I have not. I'll add them to my list to check out! Thanks!

You're welcome. Glad to help. :)
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Major »

The thing you should know is that Fantasy is one genre, while Science Fiction is a different one.
The two are quite distinct.
Science fiction deals with the possible, the science being explained by it's future setting. The details must be possible within the realms of physics at the very least, eventually.
Fantasy fiction deals with the never possible, flights of fancy that have no place in the world of science.
So which is it that you want recommendations for?
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
NerdGirl91

Post by NerdGirl91 »

I disagree with you but in your terms I would say I have a love for the science fiction.

-- 10 May 2017, 10:08 --

So maybe you have recommendations for both categories.
-Annie Dillard
Major
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Galaxy</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Resurrection
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-major.html

Post by Major »

NerdGirl91 wrote:I disagree with you but in your terms I would say I have a love for the science fiction.

-- 10 May 2017, 10:08 --

So maybe you have recommendations for both categories.

There are no such things as werewolves, vampires and other monsters, they are flights of fantasy.
If you want a good Science Fiction book try one of Asimov's robot series they are great
'the wind of time is blowing through me and it's all relative, to me, it's all a figment of my mind, in a world that I've designed, I'm charged with cosmic energy, has the world gone mad or is it me?'
fidelarmus
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by fidelarmus »

NerdGirl91 wrote:First off I'm very new here so hello everyone! I'm Roxanna and am a book lover that no one in my immediate family understands. I'm not surrounded by other book lovers at home so it was wonderful to find you all.

So my favorite series currently are, The Anita Blake Series by Laurell K Hamilton, The League by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Dark-Hunters Also by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I'm looking for another author similar to them, with or without the erotic nature. I'm drawn more by the plots, adventure, and syfy themes of the books.

The science fiction fantasy books have always been my favorite. The way an author can take you into this entirely new world and suck you into it to the point you feel it could be real is the best! After reading a Dark-Hunter novel I'm looking for demi-gods in my neighborhood. After reading a League book I can imagine the other worlds in the galaxy. After I read about Anita and her sexy vampires and werewolves, every attractive man becomes one too. That's the type of books I love, the ones that make you believe.

So any recommendation of similar, books, authors, or series would be appreciated!

THANKS! :D
Love the sci fi genre theme especially stemming from such Genesis focused originity. I'm at work upon the ideal list that will expand internal mind theory. Fiction branch of this vein takes many slots per such unique effort. Heinlein's endeavor through dystopic platform has held most memorative imprintation for me.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”