The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

Post by bluegreenmarina »

This is my favorite book of all time. I've read it 4 or 5 times in 2 different languages. I had such a crush on the count when I was younger hahah :lol:
TrishVincent80
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 966
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishvincent80.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by TrishVincent80 »

This is on my to read list. I have seen the movie, I thought it was great, but as I said I have not read the book so I have nothing to compare it to.

I originally became interested in this book because it was featured on the show "Wishbone". I absolutely loved that show as a kid. It was a great way to get kids interested in classic books.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

The Count of Monte Cristo is also one of my favorites. I really wanted to read the unabridged version as well and bought a copy, but I lost it before I got to read it. :cry2: I really liked Dante and felt sorry for him. I rooted for him and hoped that he would get his revenge. What really made the book powerful for me was the ending and the moral of the story. It was the first classic book that I really connected with. The plot was so intense and the subplots were so intricately woven in. Plus, the writing was so eloquent and lyrical.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Jretting wrote:I had to read this book when I was a sophmore in high school, and I'm glad I did, it's my favorite book. The lengths Dantes has to go to to fully gain his revenge is at times painful. I read the unabridged version, and I still have it in my closet.
So did I! At that time, I wasn't interested in classics and dreaded having to read it. I was surprised to find that I actually really enjoyed the book. I loved the details and how every part of it seemed so well thought out. I'm glad my school had us read this.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

I love The Count of Monte Cristo. I read the book in 4th grade and loved it. I have reread it many times. I do like the movie that came out. It might not have been by the book but it was still good.
razain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by razain »

It is the great book I read this one year ago
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I really love The Count of Monte Cristo, it's one of my favorite books. I also really love the latest film adaptation. It's tough to decide which I like more. I do think the film treats Mercedes kinder than the book,
Rattusv
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rattusv »

One of my all time favorite stories. The Count of Monte Cristo was originally published in the Journal des Débats in eighteen parts. What a great way to generate sales and keep the audience begging for more!

If you like Japanese anime check out Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (Japanese: 巌窟王 Hepburn: Gankutsuō?, literally The King of the Cavern) is an anime series loosely based on Alexandre Dumas's classic French novel, Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.
Mar Watercolor
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-watercolor.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Mar Watercolor »

This book is a masterpiece. I read it many years ago and then I read the original version. Like three times. I still have it always close. And underlined, written down and marked everywhere, all together with Cyrano, some of Umberto Eco and of course, Dracula VO. Thank you for this post, I loved reading it :)
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I cannot describe my love for Dumas! The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorites! I first read it when I was 14, visiting my Grandparents house. Everyday I would go outside and read and at lunch my Grandfather would ask me about it. I would be so excited and just go into a long rant about the section I just read.

I just recently read The Black Count by Tom Reiss which is a biography of Alexander Dumas' father who greatly inspired many parts of his works. I found it fascinating and if you are a fan of Dumas I suggest you check it out!
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

When I first encountered this book, I was in my highschool library and amongst the stacks they had an unabridged version. Upon checkout all the students there looked at me as if I was crazy for wanting to read a book with more than 200 pages. Says a lot about our school system, but that's another topic. So here I was trying to read through this monstrous book constantly feeling like I'm in the deep end of the pool and trying to touch the bottom but I couldn't.
I swam to page 600 or so and stopped. I had to finish my school year and sadly the book was put aside. I waited several years and again started and stopped at about page 600. Then two years later for the third time I picked it up and finally finished. Let me tell you ..WOW!! This book was worth the three tries.
Someone earlier made a comment about each time you read it you see another side of the story you hadn't before. This is so true of the book. Not only with Edmund but with Mercedes as well and most of the other characters too.
Dumas masterfully intertwined each complex person, relationship, circumstance, and action to give even JRR Tolkien a run for his money. The only thing I wish was for a better knowledge of the French language. I know I lost so much of the story as I struggled with the names, places, and French idioms.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
vilana74
Currently Reading: Sandy's Story
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by vilana74 »

Well, if you are like me and grew up in the USSR, you absolutely must have read all of Dumas (father and son) book. No way out of it.
I've read Count after I've read all the Musketeers' adventures. I was about 12 by then. I loved it. I loved it till the end. The revenge and what to do with it are the themes of the story. I remember I 'swallowed' the book within a few days.
However, much later, when trying to persuade my daughter to read Dumas I picked up the book again... and could not go beyond page 1 (be it in English or in Russian)... I found it extremely tagging and difficult to read.
I guess, each book has to happen at the right time.
bluegreenmarina
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

The first time I read this book, I was 11 and I read it in Russian... it was actually broken up into 2 books because of its length in that language. I read it again at age 15 or 16 in English and then again in my early 20s. At age 30 I listened to it on audiobook... it is my favorite novel by far and the level of detail and the twists and characters are just... unmatched. I haven't ever found anything else like it and I read so much.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

RuqeeD wrote:
Va_treehugger wrote:Have not read the book yet but I love, Love, LOVE the movie that came out in 2002. My entire family loved it. I got the feeling that it stayed true to the book. Anyone know how true it was?
I actually thought the movie was rubbish and barely kept with the greatness of the book. It's because I read the book first and then I watched the movie and thought....what the hell are they playing at? Sorry to be so blunt but it just bugged me how awful the movie was but that's just me. :D
I just tried to watch this movie the other day, and just could not get into it. The book was amazing, and I had high hopes for the film, but was instead disappointed. Normally, I enjoy the movie even though the book will always be a better version, but with The Count of Monte Cristo, the movie lacked so much!
Rey Juaton
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rey Juaton »

I really loved this classic! I have ready this book when I was in high school. What I loved most in the book is that it is full of adventure and events that are unpredictable that every time you read it, you are filled with excitement to move forward because you want to know what's next.

I have to agree, that there is no better experience than reading it by yourself. Those portrayed in the movies are ridiculously different in many aspects.

Return to “Classic Books”