First-Person, Second-Person, Third-Person

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
tstaf4d
Favorite Book: My Name is Memory
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tstaf4d.html

Re: First-Person, Second-Person, Third-Person

Post by tstaf4d »

I actually thoroughly enjoy second POV, if it is done well. That's the trick. In second person there still has to be the feeling of having a choice in action as the reader. First and third POV are easy to accomplish.
"Words are heavy" The Book Thief
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

CassieXO wrote:Well when I write horror, I generally write third.
Romance, first.
and Fiction, third.

I know, darastic differences in genres, I'm still experimenting with writing!
I wouldn't worry about differences in genre. Don't limit yourself or make yourself settle on just one - you can write in as many genres as you feel comfortable in.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've written in 1st and 3rd person before. I want to try my hand at 2nd. It would probably be the most challenging one of all writing in the form of "you." It would also probably be fun.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I instinctively go for 1st, because I like playing with unreliable narrators and setting characters' assumptions against each other.

Sometimes I'll fight it and go for 3rd, because, otherwise, none of my narrators would have names or genders, because I write too deeply in their head
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
lucyislucidity
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lucyislucidity »

I usually write in first-person but kind of have a problem with the whole "I" sentence structuring. Like for example, if I'm about to let events happen, "I"s are usually there, and I feel that I've been heavily abusing the word. :(
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by katiestardis »

I really enjoy writing in the first-person. Originally, I tried writing in third-person, but it didn't work for me. Obviously, there are pros and cons to each, but even though you miss some perspective from other characters, I like how you can use that as an advantage in first-person. You can have your character confused or guessing what is happening in their heads. I think it creates more intrigue. Just my personal opinion.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

Third person all the way for me. I have written some first, but those are mostly short stream of consciousness type stories. For me, third person just feels more comfortable. I've never tried second person, but that might be an interesting challenge to try some time.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I use first person most times because it makes it flow and is much easier to relate to, even for the writer. But then, sometimes, when I have a number of interesting characters and will like to explore their thoughts and internal battles, I opt for the third person. I'm thinking of combining both first person and third person one of these days. About second person, I've tried it once. It's a bit difficult. I think it's really nice in thrillers though.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I prefer to write in third person because writing in first person view has to be much involved with personal thoughts

Anyway, can you actually write a fiction totally in second person view ? :eusa-think:
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I prefer to write in the third person. I find it easier to keep secrets from the reader that way and to choose what I want to communicate.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I like to write in third-person, because my story usually is about a group of people solving mysteries. It can be a bit limiting if I just write in one character's perspective. And it can be confusing to keep switching perspective from one character to another.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

I’ve written in all of the above. 1st person strikes me as the best for focusing on a single character. 3rd works really well with multiple characters, especially the mysterious character in the background. 2nd person is unique, but I feel you need a story that justifies its use. I think it works best for a foreign world, like a sci-fi, where you want the person to feel totally experiencing it.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I mostly write story in 3rd person. I do songs in 1st. It can be hard to write in 1st when you have to think about the confines of perspective. How the character views the world vs what aspects of the story you want told. If they aren't present, you can't tell it without flipping back and forth. I don't think I've ever written in 2nd person.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I like to write as third person, because I like to be able to control the narrative distance from the protagonist, and it's fun to give the narrator a voice as well, although I can appreciate first person for its directness (and it's opportunities for subversion and the unreliable narrator). I've never tried second person, but I've read it in more contemporary books and short fiction, and I'd love to be able to pull that off.
Amanda Majors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-majors.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Amanda Majors »

I tend to flip-flop between first person and third person when writing fiction, not knowing if I want the story to feel more personal or distant. Sometimes I use second person when writing non-fiction, as I am typically talking to an audience.

Return to “Writing Discussion”