Young Adult Book Discussion

For March 2017 we will be reading Young Adult books.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Young Adult Book Discussion

Post by Amagine »

Right now the YA books that I keep rereading are any books by Jenny Han. I think she's my favorite YA author at the moment. I like reading YA romance and all of her books fall under that category and are wonderfully written.

To All The Boys I Loved Before
P.S I Still Love You
The Summer I Turned Pretty
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:I really wish there was a sequel to the host, I wasn't ready to let go of the characters or the world. Is it YA though? The characters are adult and it deals with difficult issues, I've no idea what defines YA anymore.

With regards to Sabriel, I think the two newer novels are prequels to the original trilogy.

From what I read, back when I finished The Host, Stephenie Meyer, was going to do a second one and then changed her mind. I didn't love the book as written, but I did love the idea behind the book. I was hoping there would be a second one to kind of expand on her story. I do not feel as though it was great as a standalone.

While reading the book, the ideas kind of had a adult feel, but the writing behind it felt very much like a YA.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
ollesternberg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ollesternberg »

Sabriel is such an amazing book to read, i enjoyed reading it :D
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

kio wrote:What genre did your read fall under? What made it different than other adult books you read in that genre? Would you recommend it? Why or Why Not?
Last month and this month I am re-reading two books with my students:
Out of My Mind by Sharon M Draper and We Beat the Street by The Three Doctors with Sharon M Draper

Out of My Mind follows Melody who is 11 and has cerebral palsy. The book is told from her point of view so we can see her struggles as she tries to live a normal-ish life. She finally gets a special computer that helps her to communicate better. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it because if you don't know what it is like to have special needs, this books gives you insights.

We Beat the Street follows the three authors from when they were young kids in Newark and their struggles with their school and in their neighborhood and the pact they made to help each other get through it all and succeed. I like this book because it reminds me of the area I grew up in. It can also help let you see what others go through when they live in rough areas.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

I did not read any books in March but most of the books I read are from this genre so I would like to recommend a series for anyone interested. Goddess Test by Aimee Carter is an amazing series that blends today's modern world and Greek mythology perfectly.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

The plot sounds pretty cool and I like that the girl is the hero of the novel. The concept of a magical island also sounds very enchanting.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

One of my favorite authors for YA novels is without a doubt Sarah Dessen. I have read all of her books, and rereading them is a trip down memory lane every time.

Return to “March 2017 Genre Discussion”