Favorite/Least Favorite Aspect(s) of the Book?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Aspect(s) of the Book?

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

hsimone wrote:While reading, there were some definite parts that I really enjoyed and kept me at the edge of my seat while others not so much.

What were your favorite and least favorite aspect(s) of Raven's Peak? How could your least favorite part(s) improve in order for you to have enjoyed the story even more?
I wanted to know more of Arthur's back story. I enjoyed the beginning of the book very much but was frustrated with questions about why Arthur was in jail and why he castigated himself so terribly. Also, it is mentioned several times how Abigail had something to do with Arthur's incarceration. Is there another book out there in which this part of the story is found? It seems like this was mentioned in another thread?
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I enjoy the openning of each book because Lincoln uses powerful sayings. I also enjoyed the prologues because each prologue gives another twist to the story.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

ashley_claire wrote:My favorite parts were also the prologue and when they actually get to Raven's Peak. My least favorite would probably just be Haatim and his inability to get with the program faster. I get that hunting demons is something he never expected to do, but sometimes I just wanted to shake him for being so inexperienced with things that seem like common sense.

I liked this response and agree.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Vermont Reviews wrote:
ashley_claire wrote:My favorite parts were also the prologue and when they actually get to Raven's Peak. My least favorite would probably just be Haatim and his inability to get with the program faster. I get that hunting demons is something he never expected to do, but sometimes I just wanted to shake him for being so inexperienced with things that seem like common sense.

I liked this response and agree.
Vermont Reviews
Haha, yeah sometimes Haatim was a little frustrating.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

gali wrote:
AliceofX wrote:
CarrieMe wrote:Favorite: The prologue and Arthur's character. I thought he seemed really interesting and the prologue made me excited to read the rest of the book.

Least Favorite: I thought that Abigail and Haatim were pretty flat characters overall. I just couldn't find much about them that seemed really believable. Yeah, they did all the surface-level things that made sense, but it didn't feel like it went any deeper than that.
I agree with everything that CarrieMe said. Also, the parts where the demon was taking over the town (especially with the little boy) were really well done. Those scenes were legitimately creepy.
Indeed! The scene with the boy was really well done. It gave me the chills as well.
I'm glad that at least a few others felt the same way I did! And I definitely agree about the boy being well done. I always feel like kids and dolls are the most surefire ways to creep me out.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Sci-fi Fan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sci-fi-fan.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Sci-fi Fan »

I think that the prologue was my least favorite part. Don't get me wrong, it drew me in once Arthur got to the field, but before that I was losing interest. After that I was hooked. I didn't mind that it took a while to get to Raven's Peak. Anticipation makes you want to get there, but the journey makes the destination worthwhile. I definitely want to read the next book. I liked Haatim, but Abigail's reluctance to talk about anything made her difficult to like, and Frieda just rubbed me the wrong way (kudos for character development there).
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

My favorite part was the introduction to Raven's Peak. My least favorite was some parts of the plot and the ending to book one.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

So far my favourite parts were the beginning prologue with Arthur, and the creepy scenes such as the woods and the cabin and the town of Raven's peak. My least favourite would maybe be struggling to connect with the characters til over halfway through the book, some more back story or "fleshing out" earlier on might have helped.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

CarrieMe wrote:
gali wrote:
AliceofX wrote: I agree with everything that CarrieMe said. Also, the parts where the demon was taking over the town (especially with the little boy) were really well done. Those scenes were legitimately creepy.
Indeed! The scene with the boy was really well done. It gave me the chills as well.
I'm glad that at least a few others felt the same way I did! And I definitely agree about the boy being well done. I always feel like kids and dolls are the most surefire ways to creep me out.
I agree about using kids and dolls are easiest ways to creep me out, too. Chuckie? I can't...I tried and it's just way too creepy. I'm getting the shivers just thinking about this. :shock:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

kandscreeley wrote:
I enjoyed the old town of Ravens Peak. I wish the author had drawn that out more. Developed the scene and had more actin taking place there. So that was my most and least favorite art the same time.
I agree! Raven's Peak old town can be made more terrifying and this should have been made part of the prologue with Arthur who is the most interesting part of the story.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

In the story, I loved all the action scenes and the element of mystery.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

My favorite aspect of the book was Arthur and wondering if Abigail was going to get Arthur back.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

I liked the setting, I think the Author did really well in the terms of explaining things. I liked Arthur's character, it was intriguing. I'm not sure is this is a problem only I faced, but the story line seemed quite predictable in some places. I like a story that keeps me guessing.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

angelbeats1 wrote:I liked the setting, I think the Author did really well in the terms of explaining things. I liked Arthur's character, it was intriguing. I'm not sure is this is a problem only I faced, but the story line seemed quite predictable in some places. I like a story that keeps me guessing.
I agree. There were some parts that I kind of knew what was going to happen. It was still entertaining though.

13Vulpes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-13vulpes.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by 13Vulpes »

I am interested in Arthur (Reverend) character and I would like to know more about him. I really apreciate scenes where the demon possessed the small boy and where he influenced others by few words or only by a sight. It was creepy. I read them at night and I was very scared.

But I don´t like action scenes in this book and predictability of the plot. I also don´t like author´s urge to explain everything. When I started to be afraid of something, he explained it and my fear faded. I think that the fear of unknown and hopelessness would be better and there could be still space for good managed action.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”