AMA with the author (Lincoln Cole)

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: AMA with the author (Lincoln Cole)

Post by Lincoln »

-What is your favorite book of all time?

That's a tough question. One of my favorite books is certainly The Count of Monte Cristo because I love the redemption/revenge story, but I love a lot of different books. Anything Stephen King or Isaac Asimov. It is so hard to decide!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Is there anything that might make you ever decide to become a full-time writer?
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lincoln wrote:- When did you start writing?

I started writing when I was about eight to ten years old and finished my first novel when I was thirteen. It was terrible. For me, writing has been a lifelong passion and something I do just because I enjoy it.

- What inspired you to become an author?

I love telling stories and falling into fictional worlds. I would read great stories and want to make my own (decent) stories.

- As an author, how do you keep yourself motivated to continue writing?

It has nothing to do with motivation, at least not for me. I write because I enjoy it, and if it stopped being fun I would stop doing it. I don't write to make money or pay the bills, so the reward is in the process itself. I actually don't think I would enjoy writing if it was something I had to do for any reason except that I love it.
These are great answers. Thank you for sharing!

- Wow! You wrote your first novel at thirteen? Do you still have it?
- Did your own faith/religion or lack of impact Raven's Peak?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

- Is there anything that might make you ever decide to become a full-time writer?

For me it would be monetary, but even with success I'm not 100% sure I would go full-time with it. The thing is, I like to write off-the-wall and crazy stories, and when I get tired of one genre I switch to something new. If I had to write to make money I wouldn't have that flexibility/freedom. As soon as it became a 'job' it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

- Wow! You wrote your first novel at thirteen? Do you still have it?

Thanks! I don't, but my dad still has a lot of copies in his basement. I think he printed five-hundred and sold like three. I think they serve as a makeshift table in their original box in the basement. And trust me, it's as bad as I said it was! I can't even read it, and when I look at it I'm say to myself: 'What was I thinking?'

- Did your own faith/religion or lack of impact Raven's Peak?

Maybe a little bit. I really love exorcisms and ritual and things like that, but I am not a huge fan of any particular religion being an answer to life and death. I think that's what influenced Haatim's character and personality, and it ended up making the book more confusing and ambiguous, but for me it was important to not be like 'the Western God is where this power comes from' or anything like that. I don't know if that explains the justification (and it certainly doesn't explain reasons he is a confusing and in many ways oddly written character) but it led to many decisions I made while writing.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Lincoln wrote:- Is there anything that might make you ever decide to become a full-time writer?

For me it would be monetary, but even with success I'm not 100% sure I would go full-time with it. The thing is, I like to write off-the-wall and crazy stories, and when I get tired of one genre I switch to something new. If I had to write to make money I wouldn't have that flexibility/freedom. As soon as it became a 'job' it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
I totally get that. Thanks for the answer! :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

If the book was to be turned into a movie, what actors would you choose to portray your characters?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

-If the book was to be turned into a movie, what actors would you choose to portray your characters?

I like the idea of Zoe Saldana being cast in the lead role, but I'm not really sure about the other main characters. I'm torn between the idea of having a major celebrity playing a lead role and wanting some Hollywood unknown who might actually do more justice to the character. Do you have any ideas of good actors who might fit? Another person for Abigail might be Nathalie Joanne Emmanuel (Missandei from Game of Thrones) because I think she would fit the personality really well.

James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

- Who designed your book cover?
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lincoln wrote: - Wow! You wrote your first novel at thirteen? Do you still have it?

Thanks! I don't, but my dad still has a lot of copies in his basement. I think he printed five-hundred and sold like three. I think they serve as a makeshift table in their original box in the basement. And trust me, it's as bad as I said it was! I can't even read it, and when I look at it I'm say to myself: 'What was I thinking?'
That's kind of funny and sweet that your dad printed so many. :) I think it's amazing that you had so much ambition at such a young age to write a story, even if it wasn't that great.
Lincoln wrote:- Did your own faith/religion or lack of impact Raven's Peak?

Maybe a little bit. I really love exorcisms and ritual and things like that, but I am not a huge fan of any particular religion being an answer to life and death. I think that's what influenced Haatim's character and personality, and it ended up making the book more confusing and ambiguous, but for me it was important to not be like 'the Western God is where this power comes from' or anything like that. I don't know if that explains the justification (and it certainly doesn't explain reasons he is a confusing and in many ways oddly written character) but it led to many decisions I made while writing.
I think it definitely added more to Haatim's character when he questions his own beliefs. Thank you for sharing!

I was looking at another discussion question here, and someone brought up the fact that some characters refer to God as a "She". Was this because of what you have said - "it was important to not be like 'the Western God is where this power comes from'" - or is there more to the story in making God a female in Raven's Peak?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

- Who designed your book cover?

MN Arzu. She is also an author of a lot of books and is a professional graphic designer! She actually did all of my books and made some amazing covers! They are on my site in the link below, as well as links back out to her website!
hsimone wrote: That's kind of funny and sweet that your dad printed so many. :) I think it's amazing that you had so much ambition at such a young age to write a story, even if it wasn't that great.

I think it definitely added more to Haatim's character when he questions his own beliefs. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you so much for your comments! I'm glad you thought it made Haatim a stronger character. I wanted him to be conflicted and sort of find himself, so it is awesome to see that it works a little bit.

I was looking at another discussion question here, and someone brought up the fact that some characters refer to God as a "She". Was this because of what you have said - "it was important to not be like 'the Western God is where this power comes from'" - or is there more to the story in making God a female in Raven's Peak?

I am personally not a big fan of the misogyny in many religions and the way in which leaders use pronouns and identity as a tool in oppression, and I liked the idea that some of the characters in this book might feel that way, too. I wanted for Arthur, in particular, to have sort of formed his own idea of God on his own and for that to have rubbed off on the people around him (like Abigail and Frieda), but I also wanted for the idea to exist in a believable setting (not everyone would refer to God as a 'She' because that's not how most people define God in Western Culture).

Personally, I tend to view God as something that wouldn't have a gender identity and I like the idea that people would define God (or Gods) however best suits them. Hence why Arthur became that kind of character in this book and it sort of stems outward from him. So, in general, there was no major 'story' reason behind the way God is referred to, just a conscious choice to hopefully make the characters unique.

Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Did you outline your book before you wrote the chapters?
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

- Did you outline your book before you wrote the chapters?

I did, but after only a few chapters into the book I ended up scrapping them almost completely. The story took a left-hand turn on me and I ended up changing almost every detail of the ending I originally planned for. That's one of the fun things about writing, because I like to plan things out, but I also like to see how wild things can get while I'm writing.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I admire you for writing on the side. I think this allows you to do more of whatever you want instead of getting caught up in what's popular. So what do you do for a "real" job?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

- I admire you for writing on the side. I think this allows you to do more of whatever you want instead of getting caught up in what's popular. So what do you do for a "real" job?

I am a software developer, and I work for a retail company in their stock and inventory systems. Basically, this means I troubleshoot and write applications in Java, HTML, and Android and build phone and computer applications to make sure the stores are able to stay up and running. I'm not exactly IT support (the people that get called for help and blamed for things not working...the support team are the ones that blame us and ask us to fix things lol) so at least I don't have to deal with the inane: "did you plug the printer in before trying to turn it on?" problems!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Lincoln wrote:- I admire you for writing on the side. I think this allows you to do more of whatever you want instead of getting caught up in what's popular. So what do you do for a "real" job?

I am a software developer, and I work for a retail company in their stock and inventory systems. Basically, this means I troubleshoot and write applications in Java, HTML, and Android and build phone and computer applications to make sure the stores are able to stay up and running. I'm not exactly IT support (the people that get called for help and blamed for things not working...the support team are the ones that blame us and ask us to fix things lol) so at least I don't have to deal with the inane: "did you plug the printer in before trying to turn it on?" problems!
Ha! Or the iconic my cupholder is broken???
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”