Book Blogs vs. Twitter

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
kstumpp
Currently Reading: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Book Blogs vs. Twitter

Post by kstumpp »

I've just recently started using Twitter seriously myself, I have paid for advertisement (which was disappointing) and tried to gain followers in other various ways. I am finding that the majority of followers I gain are bot accounts or advertising upcoming bands...

I am interested to try a blog, which is why I recently bought a website - so I will give that a try and update.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I think that both are a good idea. Also, while some people will follow both, some people will follow one and not the other, so with both you reach more people.

However, the original question was about popular book review blogs.

As a follower of several book review blogs I can say that I love them. Once I get to know a reviewer (comparing their opinion about certain books/tropes/whatnot to my own) I can tell a lot about a book, and whether I'll like it or not, from their review.

As for author blogs, I'm a fan of some, but not many.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Leslie_79
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leslie_79 »

Personally, I cannot stand Twitter but it may be my age. I'm 37. However, my children do not use Twitter either. We google the name of the book and go from there while researching books. I would definitely choose book blogs over Twitter any day.
ReadDear

Post by ReadDear »

I used Twitter (40 accounts), blogs (several), sites for readers (20-25) and facebook grops (60). I think facebook - most effectively.
"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." – Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
mari_maria

Post by mari_maria »

hi there! :)
it's absolyutly correct: book blogs, twitter and other networks are very important for writers!

-- 28 Mar 2016, 03:16 --

I think all networks are important and must be used! but you should not forget about boom promotion sites! :)
it's not expensive and bring results)
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

bookowlie wrote:Although I am not a writer, I know book blogs have become popular over the past few years. The use of Twitter for authors to promote their books is mentioned in Scott's book. I am curious - is Twitter a better way for an author to promote their book vs. marketing a book by contacting book bloggers with a large following?
Twitter can be really useful for sure in generating clicks, but for making your book promotion last book bloggers are way better. To build up long term sustainability you need to build up a network, and twitter won't do that nearly as well.

With my own blog, I just automatically post to twitter whenever I write a blog post, so I know twitter is being updated and getting news and updates without needing to do a lot of work, but reaching out to bloggers generally gets me more traction.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Billy Pro

Post by Billy Pro »

I know many young writters they consider Social networks as a channel to promote their books.
jennyjfoy

Post by jennyjfoy »

Yeah its true, Book Blogs have a good response for promoters.
Last edited by gali on 17 May 2017, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I prefer Instagram and link it to my tumblr blog. Instagram has a great book community and you can write as much or a little as you like and some followers just prefer pictures.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

Book blogs with large followings are better but it doesn't hurt to equally use twitter and then build up your followers.
Nina Rose
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nina Rose »

Book blog is more in depth about promoring your book.Twitter is for connecting with many readers.Both are important for these purposes.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 468
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

In a cyber space that is ruled by the hashtag (#), I would give twitter the first priority before seeking assistance from the blogs and other social networks.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
WendyH
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyh.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WendyH »

I don't really use Twitter so I would have to say i prefer book blogs.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I wouldn't know much but twitter seems like the in thing right now with all people you know retweeting your posts I believe a book can gain a lot of publicity.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I like Twitter for communicating with people but blogging and Instagram is better for your own thoughts and work.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”