Review by Katherine Smith -- The 11.05 Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Review by Katherine Smith -- The 11.05 Murders

Post by Katherine Smith »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

11.05 Murders is a thrilling crime novel written by Dr. Brain O’Hare and this is the second book in the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries. The novel begins with a sexual assault at a local university party, but unfolds into a murder mystery decades later. The main character of the story is Detective Sergeant Denise Stewart of the Police Service of Northern Ireland. She has recently transferred from a prior post in Lisbon, where she was subjected to sexual harassment and witnessed corruption. As she begins work at a new post as a Detective in Strandtown’s Serious Crimes Division, she tries to reassemble her life and continue her career as a police officer. At first, Detective Stewart is viewed as “prickly” among many of her colleagues due to her abrasive personality and defensiveness. Slowly, her walls begin to come down as she reevaluates her ideas about her male teammates and learns to heal from her prior traumatic experiences.

The main character of the book was believable and the struggles that she faced while investigating the murders was evident throughout the book. The description of Detective Stewart was well-researched and her background perfectly fit into our current times. She was a complex and hardworking woman which made her a realistic representation as a female officer in a largely male dominated job sector.

The book examines the different forms that love can take and the ways in which it can turn bad. I loved this book from the moment that I started it because of the author’s suspense. As I was reading, I developed many hypotheses, but I could never accurately guess what was going to happen. While reading the book, I could picture the interrogation rooms and the hours that were spent trying to find the killer. My favorite part was the author’s description of the beauty of Northern Ireland, including the endless green hills. I could see this book being adapted into a movie or as an episode for a crime series.

The author used his knowledge as a professor to highlight the complexities of the human mind. The plot and the uniqueness of each character made the story appear as if it was a telling of an actual crime. Dr. O’Hare created multiple storylines and subplots to enhance the books believably. It was only at the end did I realize that these stories connected to the theme of the book.

I rate 11.05 Murders 4 out of 4 stars because of the book’s realistic depiction of human emotions and thought processes. I would recommend this book to any adult readers who enjoy crime and mystery novels. I hope to read more of the author’s books in the future, including the other Inspector Sheehan Mysteries novels.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Katherine Smith's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

When I first started reading the book I quite disliked Denise. She seemed unnecessarily rude and combative about ridiculously small things. However, looking at the book as a whole, there is something refreshing about a main character that doesn't start out as your standard good guy/girl.

Nice review, Katherine Smith. I also liked this book but rated it one star lower because the slow first half dragged it down for me.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I am with you on the multiple possible suspects. I was wrong on my guess on the killer though. I rated the novel two out of four stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”