What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
deana
Currently Reading: The Perfect Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 74

Re: What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Post by deana »

I have not read a vampire book yet. I almost got Twilight from the library yesterday. I am currently reading a book about wolves and bears with magic. Vampires will be on my list.
Moondove
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moondove.html

Post by Moondove »

I love vampire stories that have the right mixture of chills and thrills.
Marcy43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcy43.html

Post by Marcy43 »

I love vampire stories. I have read different books and I have to say that my favorite author ,so far, is Laurell K. Hamilton and her Anita Blake series.
Bayn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bayn.html

Post by Bayn »

I feel like Twilight has really saturated the genre with a lot of similar books that are not of consistent quality (Twilight included, not the same caliber as what has come before). I love Anne Rice era stuff, but growing up I had some good series that didn't get a ton of attention from mainstream readers. For romance Ellen Schreiber's Vampire Kisses series was pretty awesome, and that was something that some of my other female friends were reading. I also really enjoyed Meredith Anne Pierce's Darkangel Trilogy, a good blend of fantasy, romance, and a good dose of scary tortured vampires. And of course Cirque Du Freak! I was the only one in my school who read them, but he's still going strong with writing long teen series books so they must be popular with more people.

There have always been good and innovative vampire books, they just haven't always been in the spotlight. There's definitely more territory to explore, we'll eventually see a fall off in the Twilight clones.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think that because Vampires have been written about so much, it is hard to find a new angle or a new spin to make things interesting. The most recent book that I read about vampires that I really thought was interesting was the Hive trilogy by Leia Stone and Jaymin Eve. This talks about a kind of hybrid vampire that is born more than made. This is something I would highly recommend you check out if you are into vampire stories!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wyoreader_61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyoreader-61.html

Post by Wyoreader_61 »

If it's well written, and the story line is good, then I don't mind a good vampire story - although I'm not a fan of 'horror', I would read a vampire story if the story line and characters were well-developed.
Jhoffman1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhoffman1015.html

Post by Jhoffman1015 »

Louis and Lestat started my love for the Vampire Genre....Lestat continued to make me fall in love...Anne Rice knew how to write about vampires...that is for sure. But with all the vampire novels/series' out there...I feel that they have been overdone. I have heard a little about Nightlord (is this correct??) And I may give that a try. But the Twilight series, I couldn't stomach.
AbbyScuito1414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyscuito1414.html

Post by AbbyScuito1414 »

I do think some vampire stories are redundant, but I have seen others that put a great twist on the old stories and made them new. Even in Twilight, though maybe not well received everywhere, the vampires "sparkling" added a twist. I haven't read any other books before the Twilight series that had vampires sparkling, have you? So yes, I think the vampire stories can be redundant, but they still have room to be unique.
phoenmoon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenmoon.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by phoenmoon »

So far I have not been impressed with te new vampire stories. They are either overly romanticized or just don't make any logical sense. One of my biggest pet peeves is when you have these vampires who are supposedly hundreds are years old and they act like nieve children or pedophiles.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Lili_Ferrero

Post by Lili_Ferrero »

My opinion varies. It depends on the story. For instance, Twilight? Sparkles? Really? Why?
Plus does every vampire story need to he about 'romance'. But I'm sure there are good ones out there. I just haven't had exposure to any.
Crystalolson714
Currently Reading: The Year We Disappeared
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystalolson714.html

Post by Crystalolson714 »

I think all vampire stories are good in their own way. It always appeals to someone even if it's twilight. Twilight might suck to most people but others love it and I don't see anything wrong with it. But yea, vampire stories will never be repundent because there are always different ways people could go with the books
BarefootButrfly
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Sandman</a>
Currently Reading: The Duck Springs Affair
Bookshelf Size: 4225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barefootbutrfly.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BarefootButrfly »

I think they are as timeless as their subjects! I LOVE them!!!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
ajohnson8611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajohnson8611.html

Post by ajohnson8611 »

Honestly, the twilight series kind of turned me off from vampires for a while. Vampires got really popular and they were everywhere so I got extremely picky about which vampire books I would read. I'm not a big fan of love triangles or a weak willed character. I like strong decisive characters and when I think of vampires I think of strong immortal beings who have experienced a lot of life and know what they want or are seeking in their existence. Obviously some don't realize what they may have been missing until they find it and that is always a fun twist, to grow with each character.
DEELITE703
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deelite703.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill

Post by DEELITE703 »

Although stories about vampires have become a bit played out, they are classic stories that started with Bram Stroker's Dracula. There are certain certain types of horror characters have been redone over and over again, such as vampires and werewolves. I doubt that they will stop any time soon.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
comeunsanto
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comeunsanto.html

Post by comeunsanto »

I don't necessarily prefer vampire stories. However, I do believe that every once in a while there are fresh takes on vampires. When a vampire or their stories are not conventional or overly fantastic then I think it can be fun.

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”