4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amandabbeck
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandabbeck.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: 4 Great Classic Books

Post by amandabbeck »

I haven't read but one of those. I have read the Ray Bradbury one. I am saving these at the library so I can read them.
sedmontson

Post by sedmontson »

Thanks Scott, nice job reviewing and comparing. Three of the books mentioned I have read. I enjoyed Nineteen Eighty Four, Of Mice and Men , and Farenheit 401.

Three weeks ago my grandson, a junior in high school, suggested I read The Catcher in the Rye. Though I was considering his request, reading your review has helped me make the decision to read this classic that I have missed.

I appreciate the OnLine BookClub though I do not sign in frequently. I am trying to use this forum more often and am grateful for the time and effort you put into the BookClub itself.
:)
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I just finished reading The Catcher in the Rye last night! My sister recommended it to me and I thought I might as well since it was a classic. But I really enjoyed it. I loved Holden's manner of talking, how he always got depressed for everything and how he could overthink the simplest things.I really liked him as a character.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Theresa cahill
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-cahill.html

Post by Theresa cahill »

We read all quiet on the western front for school and I love it
literarychemist

Post by literarychemist »

I have always loved Ray Bradbury, so thanks for the thread!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Theresa cahill wrote:We read all quiet on the western front for school and I love it
I share your opinion. All quiet On The Western Front was one of the best novels I've ever read.

A bit of trivia:

The story, of course, is about a German soldier, but many have come to believe that the author, as a result of the spelling of his last name (Remarque), was French. He was actually German, served in WWI on the western front and was injured in action.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
munkitkat

Post by munkitkat »

I think Pride and Prejudice should have made the list. None of the books you mentioned involved a woman protagonist. This shows how much the male patriarchy affects us in all spheres. I'm not saying you HAVE to mention certain books, I'm talking about how constricted women were to write or even be literate. Pride and Prejudice is a very beautiful and profound book and it deserves more attention.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I am embarrassed to say that I have read only one of these books, and even then that was so long ago. I greatly need to include these to my summer reading list and continue to enjoy some of the other wonderful classics beyond just these. Thank you for the brief reviews!
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Happy to say that I have read and recommended all four, as they are all very great stories! I actually read 3 of the 4 while in high school, and even enjoyed them at that young age.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
lfcmaker

Post by lfcmaker »

'Of mice and men' is used in a lot of schools in the UK for GCSE English. A good book
Yelitzag08
Currently Reading: DIABLO NIGHTS
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yelitzag08.html
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary

Post by Yelitzag08 »

I read all of these back in high school, I enjoyed them. My favorite was Catcher in the Rye, I read it two or three times. I was also an angsty teenager so I related a bit with the main character. I do mean to read it again, I wonder if I will enjoy it as much as I did in high school. I also read Candide by Voltaire in high school which is a classic I highly recommend. My friend and I liked it so much that we would use the phrase 'it's the best of all possible worlds' when something crappy happened to us in real life. I found the book quite funny, but it's also thought provoking!
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary
cnag9604
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnag9604.html

Post by cnag9604 »

Ha, these were all required reads in high school!
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I read the book of mice and men in high school. I couldn't get into it.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I've read all but the third one. Personally I find 1984 disturbing because of the torture scenes and think Animal Farm is much better and less extreme and more believable. Fahrenheit 451 I also find hard to believe in imo. I guess these just aren't my cup of tea.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Arthur Muthee
Currently Reading: One Last Lie
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-muthee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arthur Muthee »

This classic by Ray Bradbury's brings into reality the innocence of young children as portrayed by the young girl teaching him not to fear and the complexities of the universe that bring in the need for a knowledge worker as displayed by the professor who shows the way by bringing to light the importance of thinking in order to solve mankinds challenges.

A great read, well thought out and timeless...........

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”