Is anyone else uncomfortable with romance?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Is anyone else uncomfortable with romance?

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Okay, so I love love stories! I love all the sappy moments and the characters falling in love. I don't like, however, all of the graphic scenes that come with romance. I always feel uncomfortable when I get to those parts of the book, but I enjoy the rest of it. Does anyone else feel that way, or am I the only one? Does anyone know of good love stories that don't have those scenes?
Rhymis
Currently Reading: Creep
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhymis.html

Post by Rhymis »

I think I've read some romance (rom-com) books without the more explicit scenes. Lynda Renham and Janet Evanovich's books always make me laugh and feel giddy, and they don't usually have scenes that show the, uh, kinky stuff.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Try the Amish romance or traditional Christian romance. The books are just as satisfying, well written, and true to life. Also, the books don't push religion and every other word isn't religious. It may or may not float your boat
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The only contemporary romance I read is Nicholas Sparks, but I can say that they (at least the ones I've read) aren't like that.

I read whatever I enjoy, and if they have "those" scenes I don't really think much of it. I do however get a little tired of them if they crop up all the time :roll:
It's one reason I prefer to read urban fantasy that has a little romance in it. You get the romance, and the action of whatever's going on, but (usually) not the explicitness.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I personally am okay with all the hot and steamy scenes in a romance book but there are books out there that don't have them...check out Delaine Christine, she has some goos stuff.
Kimberly288
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kimberly288 »

Rhymis wrote:I think I've read some romance (rom-com) books without the more explicit scenes. Lynda Renham and Janet Evanovich's books always make me laugh and feel giddy, and they don't usually have scenes that show the, uh, kinky stuff.
The Stephanie Plum series is my guilty pleasure! They're such quick and light hearted reads.
clairesthilaire
Currently Reading: Bloods
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clairesthilaire.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 10

Post by clairesthilaire »

I am totally with you on this one. I love the relationship side of romance, but detailed descriptions of the physical aspect make me squirm. I think for me it is the intimacy of reading that makes it awkward. In a movie, you can shut your eyes or at least feel the distance between you and the screen. In a book it's all taking place in your head. Very uncomfortable.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I don't have problem you mentioned, but I think you could read all the classic love stories as they will certainly not have very intimate scenes, there are so many of them. Or you could simply skip them while reading as I usualy skip other things (mostly boring ones).
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Thanks for all of the great book advice everyone! I'm going to have to look into all of the books you mentioned!
Hawgangel67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawgangel67.html

Post by Hawgangel67 »

I grew up reading Harlequins, and I love them! Now, however, if I were to have to read one, I am pretty sure that it would have me in a state of giggles. The names that they give the male love interest in the stories are hilarious. The authors think they are nice, strong, hunky names, but really....Stone Carter was a handsome devil, with eyes of steel and muscles that could shred paper in one fell swoop. Haha. Maybe they write them better now? If so, please give me a good example of one and I will gladly read it.
Platinumpusheen

Post by Platinumpusheen »

Yes I absolutely understand. I can dig in to the build up, where there's all the cheesiness, but in some books when it refers to(yes THAT subject) I just want to skip it. Sometimes I feel like the one girl that people always look at the inside cover and give me a pitiful look afterwards, but for those people who enjoy the gross bits, I feel sorry for YOU.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I find some romances quite cute and romances can really liven up a book. However, I have to agree with you - when the scenes get too detailed, I lose some interest in the book and I feel a little sick. Reading about people having, uh, intercourse, isn't always very fun.
Romances that move too fast are also not my cup of tea. It's similar to proposing on the first date before even getting to know the person. I feel that my ideal romance moves quite slowly - letting the relationship slowly build up over time.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

I have never allowed myself a romance until I selected my latest book to review...now I am asking where have they been my whole life?!?!

Romances rule! :wink:
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

I think we can thank the "Fifty Shades of Grey" for the demise of decent romances. I've been reading and writing romances for as long as I can remember. That series definitely lowered the bar. As a matter of fact, I think the "Crossfire" series by Sylvia Day may have even been worse. The actual emotion of love was overshadowed by rough, untimely, and lewd sex. It overtook every aspect of the books in both series. The love got lost.

I like a little steam and spice in my romances, but these just crossed the line. Subsequently, everyone thinks they need to mimick the sex scenes or make the act of love appalling and somewhat disgusting. There's little-to-no emotion in some of these tawdry books.

When I read or write a romance, I want to fall in love with the characters. I want to see the world through their eyes, feel what their hearts are feeling, not what their body parts are doing.

I think a lot of these romance writers should step up their game. It doesn't take a whole lot of talent to write a sordid love scene. The art is in drawing the reader into the emotion of it. Make the reader feel the love, you know. Let's face it; a lot of romance can happen after the characters close the bedroom door and you aren't invited in to watch.

Okay. I'm stepping off my soapbox now.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

It is not my first choice when choosing a novel. But sometimes I like to read something different. I do like a good romance. But it has to have a story and ending that is believable. It also needs to keep the hot, steamy stuff to a reasonable amount and not too graphic.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”