Guest Post: Learning to Love a Man's Best Friend by Hsimone

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Guest Post: Learning to Love a Man's Best Friend by Hsimone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Learning to Love a Man's (and Woman's) Best Friend by Hsimone

Three years ago if someone were to tell me that I could not imagine a life without a dog, I would have told them that they were crazy. 'A dog?' I would have said, 'yeah, right!' I would have walked away, laughed, and shook my head. However, on February 16, 2013, I would find that my pessimistic attitude would change.

From when I started dating my boyfriend (now husband), he had always told me that he so desperately wanted to own a dog. I, absolutely in love with him, agreed. 'Sure, a dog would be a great addition to our household.' While in the inside all I kept thinking was, 'dogs are smelly, gross, leave fur everywhere...which all in all means, more cleaning. Great…can't wait!' If dogs weren't licking themselves, they were smelling one another's behinds. And what's worse is they don't even clean themselves when they use the bathroom or bathe themselves from time to time. The idea was repulsive.

Growing up, we had one dog, an enormous, rough, and wild rottweiler. It was such a horrifying experience. To put quite frankly, he scared the bejeezus out of me. When trying to be a kid and run around in the backyard, all I could see was this dark, maniac shape chasing after me. This ended up with me running more frantically to take cover inside the house. He did not end up staying with us very long, and I was convinced dogs were not only disgusting, but they were also part evil.

However, my boyfriend really wanted one, and I thought if my dear, loving, sweet guy wanted something so badly, then it can't be that terrible, right? We started looking at the local animal shelter. As I peered inside the cages at all the different types of puppies, I started to think 'hmm...that one is pretty cute, maybe.' Not finding the one, which I wasn't quite sure what that meant at the time, we kept returning week after week.

More persistent than ever, my boyfriend researched online, while I took somewhat of a backseat. After what seemed like years, which really was only a few weeks, he had found a Labrador rescue organization online. When he told me to look at the computer screen, a wave came crashing down on me. I was looking at a picture of the most adorable, sweet, and innocent looking puppy I had ever seen. I felt the wall I had built up break a little.

She was perfect. Her coloring, a mix of dark and light browns with some white, and her eyes! Oh her small confused eyes, my heart couldn't help but melt a little. I looked at my boyfriend and I could see he was head over heels for this little pup. We tried so very hard to resist since she was coming from Indiana, so very far, and we wouldn't have the chance to meet her before adopting. But as the days progressed, we couldn't resist any longer, afraid of someone else adopting her, and decided to make the jump.
After making all the necessary arrangements, we were on our way to rescue our beloved little lab. This four-month puppy was handed to us, and I couldn't help but feel the need to hold and protect this little, defenseless creature, not caring that she was covered in poop. Sharing a crate with her brother, one them went number two and both were covered. She was an animal that needed to be nurtured, and I wanted to give her just that.

During the car ride home, Zoey stayed well away from me in the back seat, frightened and confused. I slowly inched my hand in her direction. She looked at it and didn't turn away; I took that as a positive sign. When my hand finally reached her little snout, she gave me the smallest of licks. Yet another piece of that wall broke.

After going potty, getting fed, and cleaned up our little Zoey was completely and utterly exhausted! This was a lot of action for a puppy. We brought her to her new bed with a chew bone, and she quickly fell asleep with both my boyfriend and I laying near her. The wall that had slowly built up over the years crashed down into a pile of dust and it all came down to this one little girl, Zoey.

As the months went by, Zoey proved, and continues to prove, to be loving, friendly, loyal, and full of energy! I began treating her like a little kid. Showing her the difference between right and wrong. 'If you ask to go out, it's to go potty, not for leisure. Humans decide when we go out and play, not puppies. That is not a chew toy, this is. That is definitely not the bathroom area, this is.' And so on.

Now, almost three years living with Zoey, I can't imagine a day without her. Making us happy is the job she willingly took, and she has proved to be successful. She makes my husband and I smile and laugh multiple times a day with her silliness and her little quirks.

I leave with one last story: Our friends, who have a cat, doggie-sat for us. When Zoey's dinner was poured into her bowl, here comes kitty cat wanting that yummy and new food. And do you know what Zoey does? Does she snarl and growl and say 'back off, kitty, this is mine!'? Nope. She does the exact opposite! She slowly backs away, head slightly down and sits a fair distance away while this cat, who is half of her size, begins to eat her food. Now, of course, our friends remove their cat from Zoey's food, so she can eat in peace. But, tell me, how can you not love a dog like that?

Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

She is a beauty! We have a dog as well, so I can totally relate. Thank you for sharing. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you gali for reading and commenting! :D. Having a dog adds so much to many people's lives, and I am thankful that now I can fully appreciate them and understand why :character-grommit:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

Dogs make the world go 'round. I had three dogs when I met my husband; a black Lab, a Golden Retriever, and a black Pug. I lived in South Dakota and had a good-sized yard for them all to play in and everything was fine until I moved to Kansas City and into an apartment. I was able to keep my Pug and that was it. The big ones had to go. I was so heartbroken. I knew they would have adapted just fine but the landlord was adamantly against it. My Pug, Chet, liked being king and the two big dogs ultimately ended up on farms, which was good for them but I missed them terribly and hope they forgive me for letting them go.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

We have a dog named Rocky! He's a big baby. :) they give a kind of love that only they can give and it's sometimes the only thing you need to feel better.

Rocky is a boxer, pit, Rottweiler, rhodesian ridgeback and at 100 pounds he still thinks he's a lap dog lol made things interesting when I was pregnant and if wake up to have him sleeping half on top of my stomach. :lol:
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

khudecek, I agree - dogs do make the world go round! They are so sweet and lovable! I'm sorry that happened. It's so sad to let dogs go. I remember when my sister had a Shih Tzu, and she had to give him away. My mom is allergic. It was the hardest thing for her to do. Dogs are so forgiving though, so I'm sure they have forgiven you, especially if there are in another good home!

TrishaAnn92, I also agree - sometimes they are the only thing you need to feel better! Rocky is so silly! I've heard of big dogs acting like babies and it's just the funniest thing. :)

Thank you both for sharing! :D
Heidi

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for sharing Zoey's story and the sweet photos. I just love the last photo where she looks so happy!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

You're welcome! Thank you for getting my post up. I appreciate all your help! Aww...Zoey does love the beach. This is her favorite activity - :animals-dogrun:
Heidi

HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

Goodness, I can definitely relate to your initial feelings towards dogs! I'm slowly beginning to change my mind but I don't think I'll ever be getting a dog in the future. I think I'm more of a cat person. Very cute pup though and thank you for sharing the lovely pictures.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you reading and commenting, HalcyonFlower! Yes, I was very hesitant at first, but now I can't get enough of dogs! My husband and I walk around a lot, and I see at least one furry friend every time we do go out and I can't help but 'aw...' each time. :D

I understand about being more a cat person, though. I also enjoy their company, as well. To honest, if my husband was more of a cat person, then I would've given one a chance and probably love him/her similarly. :)
Heidi

MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Animals are wonderful and amazing. I know that because I'm a cat lady who loves dogs (but doesn't have one). I do get to meet up with my neighbors' dogs all the time--a couple of them will head up to my porch if they see that I'm outside, so we can say hello!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

You're right, MsMartha, animals are wonderful and amazing. They are so therapeutic and I can't help but smile and laugh at their little quirks. :) I think it's great having friends and/or neighbors who have other animals. We don't have a cat, but our closest friends do, and it's a joy to cuddle with him when we visit!
Heidi

Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Wow, I just loved reading your description of Man's best friend. Well done.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Vermont Reviews, for your kinds words. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)
Heidi

pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Post by pyb »

Very moving... I even teared up a little when I saw her puppy picture !
Thanks for sharing.
It wasn't until I was over 40 that I got my first dog. Never had one and never really wanted one. As you know, things can change very dramatically and I feel the same way you do now. And I also seem to be drawn to every dog I see on the street, whereas before I would just walk on by…
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Return to “Author Articles”