Book or Movie?

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
MadisonZiegler
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by MadisonZiegler »

The movie I felt was so disappointing. It left out so many key details from the book. The movie was boring and oh my gosh the ending was awful. In my overall opinion, it was my least favorite book by John green. And I am a huge fan of him...
Pwncess
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pwncess.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pwncess »

I have to say... I disliked both of them.
Last edited by Pwncess on 06 Feb 2016, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
Vallary
Currently Reading: Cornerstone
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallary.html

Post by Vallary »

Books over movie any day.
natalie6778
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie6778.html

Post by natalie6778 »

I watched the movie and read the book. Of course, I thought the book was better because it gave more detail and I could visualize the scenarios and how everything would happen in my imagination. A lot better in my opinion! 8)
Dyslexic-Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyslexic-superhero.html

Post by Dyslexic-Superhero »

This movie was a rare occurance where I like the movie a little more than the book. The movie had all the important details from the book to make squeal with glee when it came across the screen. The best part was how it ended. It had enough of a flavor of the ended to be considered staying true to the book, but it was done in a way I didn't feel cheated or hate her as much.
Juliana_Vale

Post by Juliana_Vale »

Book. Especially over movies that are based on books. I can't understand how they never get the movie right.
smoran16
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoran16.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by smoran16 »

Hands down, I think the books was 100X better than the movie. For one, I was not impressed by the casting choices made by the director. Don't get me wrong, I that they're good actors, just not for this movie. However, I think the movie gave me a clearer picture of Margo's hiding spot at the abandoned building.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I haven't watched the movie yet, but as I was checking out the book from the library, the librarian helping me and her friend were talking about how good the book and movie were, but that the ending of the movie left something to be desired. I wonder how much different it could be from the book ending, because that seemed to be wide open as well.
Felicity93
Currently Reading: Green
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity93.html

Post by Felicity93 »

The book was much better than the movie despite how hard they tried. Sadly I think books will always be better than the movies.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

I loved the book. The book spoke to me based on the clues and all the scavenger hunts around the town. And the poetry. And the fact that driving them in their quest was the threat of death. I was disappointed in the movie when the focus was taken off of the possibility of an impending death and placed more on growing up around this vacancy left by someone else's choices. John greens wit and excellent writing carried through from the book to the movie, though, and the characters never wavered from page to screen. It was a good movie, just not what I expected.
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
fsdred
Favorite Author: Rainbow Rowell
Currently Reading: Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1)
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fsdred.html
fav_author_id: 2837

Post by fsdred »

To be honest, I prefer the book to the movie.

I found the movie to be boring in the middle and seemed to get bored and not want to finish it. I felt as if it was missing something that was in the book but I can't put in words what it was. I did manage to make my way through it and did like how they made the ending. In my opinion I liked the start and end but did not like the in between. This is why I prefer the book.

Verdict: I think I'll read the book for the 2 hours instead.
sneakylikafox
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sneakylikafox.html

Post by sneakylikafox »

I think that this was one of the rare cases in 'Books that turn into Movies' where the movie actually did a really fine job representing the book. I was crazy about Paper Towns when I first read it that when I finished it the first time I just flipped back to the beginning and started again. I thought the characters in the movie were cast well and the producers did a great job depicting what it was John Green wanted the reader to see as they read the book.
itsmirissa
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by itsmirissa »

100% the book. I liked the movie, but I LOVED the book.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I am a huge fan of John Green and love basically all of the books he's written. I read the book before watching the movie and loved it. However, that being said, I still loved the movie and thought they did a good job in adapting it to be a movie.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
alyssamorgan-8
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssamorgan-8.html

Post by alyssamorgan-8 »

I always expect disappointment when going to see a movie based on a book I have read, but I was impressed with this one! I feel like they stayed as true to the book as possible and the characters were casted well! I hope that Looking For Alaska is the next John Green book made into a movie!

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”