Good Fantasy Authors - still living

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Good Fantasy Authors - still living

Post by Mika83 »

I'm always looking for good Fantasy books. Not Romance, but Fantasy of the Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Amber and Eternal Champion ilk.

So, if you're a fan of this genre, what authors have you found who are still living and producing books who are worth reading?

My list:
C.M. Gray
Jaq D. Hawkins
Lita Burke
Amanda Lloyd Jennings
Niel Gaiman
V.E. Schwab

I'll add as I remember or discover more.
Arkarian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arkarian »

Oh, I have to say Fantasy is my favorite genre! I will have to narrow down my list of favorite authors so that I don't drone on to long. I would start off first with Anne Bishop. She is truly great. It might be better for me to put this in list form also.

My list as follows:
Anne Bishop
Tamora Pierce
Pierce Anthony(I highly recommend him)
Kristen Britain
Terry Brooks

These are a good start and they have enough books between them that they could keep you busy for months! I hope you find something you like.
kl23
Currently Reading: The Rising
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kl23.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kl23 »

How about Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss and Ian Tregillis? They're all fantastic and come highly recommended. The first two are quite similar to Tolkien etc, although for something a little different Tregillis has more steampunk, and features clockwork mechanicals known as Clakkers. Hope this helps!
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

Lois McMaster Bujold..great reading
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

I have to recommend my have author Kelley Armstrong her Age Of Legends series is awesome. And Jay Kristoff's steampunk fantasy the lotus wars is the series I didn't even know I wanted.
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

Can't believe I left out Anne McCaffrey and Mary Stewart. Two of the best, ever!
AlyssaLuloff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssaluloff.html

Post by AlyssaLuloff »

I love fantasy! And knowing some of the best are still alive gives me hope! It's hard for me to find good books anymore because I've read so many!
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

My favorites that are still living are Terry Brooks and Eldon Thompson. I'm not sure if Thompson has written anything other than his one trilogy though, I haven't checked up on that lately.
DRigby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drigby.html

Post by DRigby »

I'm not sure if he's put out anything recently but I loved reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind when I was in high school.
Texas_Girl928
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-texas-girl928.html

Post by Texas_Girl928 »

I would have to recommend Brandon Sanderson. My brother introduced me to his Mistborn series and they're great books! Very unique and fast reads.
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

Patricia Briggs
Erin Morgenstern
Rick Riorden
hwong
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hwong.html
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson

Post by hwong »

Christopher Paolini- I liked his Inheritence cycle
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I agree with those who listed Brandon Sanderson! There is a thread about Sanderson in a different forum and some of his books are discussed. I personally have read the Mistborn Trilogy, WarBreaker, Elantris, and The Way of Kings. Sanderson builds interesting worlds and his characters have unique abilities of survival. Sanderson is definitely my favorite fantasy author.
holymarshland
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holymarshland.html

Post by holymarshland »

I'm a huge nerd for epic fantasy and Sarah J Maas has such a great take on the genre. I read her Throne of Glass series in a week and nearly cried when i realised i had to wait for the next book to come out, though when i realised she had another series out i devoured that as well. Her character are so well-formed and seductive and her books are littered with laugh-out-loud moments that don't take away from the seriousness of the plot. I would definitely recommend anything she's written!
Meagan Ashley
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meagan-ashley.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Meagan Ashley »

I have to agree with holymarshland as far as Sarah J. Maas is concerned. There is a romance involved in the Glass Throne series but it isn't the main focal point. C.L. Wilson is a WONDERFUL fantasy author who is entirely underrated. Don't judge the cheesy eBook cover but the Lord of the Fading Lands series is probably one of the best I've ever read. Swords, magic, war, powerful lead character, story development.... A diamond in the rough.

Return to “Discuss Authors”