To kill a mockingbird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raebaby112
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: To kill a mockingbird

Post by Raebaby112 »

My mom suggested it to me when I was prolly 13, and I loved it! Ive reread it several times and plan on doing so again soon.
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I haven't read the book but it's on my list!
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

Love this book, went out and bought it after I had to read it in school.
cap78
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by cap78 »

I can see why this book is used in school, as I had to read it myself...I read it again recently, and it did not have much impact on me still
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

I loved this book here is my review from (removed by mod):

In the book To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee we find ourselves in a sleepy Southern town and a crises of conscience. We find lots of different human behavior from innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos.

I recommend this book to teenagers and adults.

I remember reading this book and watching the movie in High school and not understanding any of it. I did not like it and walked away very confused. This time when I read it I really loved it. I even watched the movie recently with my husband and we both enjoyed it.

One of my favorite quotes from this book was:

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view…until you consider things from his point of view…until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”

I think this is why I love books so much because I literally do this every time I read a book I climb in and see their point of view I feel their skin turning into mine and I see things differently. Some would say this book is outdated and doesn’t have anything to teach us in these modern times. I have to disagree, you see the last three years I lived in Mexico. I have been in the States barely a week and the things I see on tv well it appears like our country is regressing. We all have different feelings on this, and we all are called to do different things and I think we all need to think about this quote, what our conscience tells us.

“They’re certainly entitled to think that, and they’re entitled to full respect for their opinions…but before I can live with other folks I’e got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.”

As a country we are really good at stereotyping people and we need to be careful. No one wants to be treated that way. You never know if the grumpy, racist Mrs. Dubose is fighting her own monsters or if Ewell is in fact trying to protect the last bit of honor he has, or why Aunt Alexandra is advocating for what she is. We may not have the same things in common, and we may not agree with their life style but we need to take time and get into their skin and understand them and grant them a little leeway, yes we can still stand up for what is right, but we can also love them and love them the way Jesus wants us to.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

"To Kill a Mocking Bird" has been my favorite book ever since I read it for the first time when I was about 14 years old. I have not read the recent follow up book that was released recently by Harper Lee just prior to her death. Having read about the controversy surrounding the new book I am not inclined to read it at this time. "To Kill a Mockingbird" is just too good of a novel to tarnish it's memory.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
bouwman_530
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by bouwman_530 »

I recently had to re-read this 'classic novel' as I began my student teaching. I know I had read it long ago and could remember very little. I wish it had stayed that way. As well as not thinking the plot is anything worth talking about, I firmly believe this book is not something we should be requiring our high schoolers to be reading. The verbage is out-of-date, the story is old, and the characters are becoming less and less relatable. While it merits some respect in the explanation of segregation, and the general metaphor for a mockingbird could be relevant, I believe it is not worth the agony.
Bobbylou Chandler

Post by Bobbylou Chandler »

I think "To Kill A Mockingbird" is definitely one of those books you would want to read and re-read. I received the book for my 16th birthday and read it at school, and I thought it was a shame the book wasn't a part of the curriculum. It was more pleasant to read than the Shakespeare I was trying in vain to decipher. (Not that I despised Shakespeare, but it was certainly different for someone who never encountered it before)
I wouldn't go as far to say that the book is obsolete. It was written some time ago, but I think the ideas in there are timeless- love, hate, racial issues, family, courage, justice, compassion, dignity, to name a few. The fact that we are still taught Shakespeare at school is not only because his language is beautiful (once you read it long enough), it is also because he touches on all the same universal themes that all humans deal with today. To Kill A Mockingbird is the same in that respect, and I think that ensures its place in literature.
Northern Reader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northern-reader.html

Post by Northern Reader »

Absolute classic. I have read it to the tune of 12 times between school and leisure. :tiphat:
AMKholer

Post by AMKholer »

How on earth did you get through high school without reading To Kill A Mockingbird??? You should find your English teachers and give them a VERY stern talking to!
elenaeffe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenaeffe.html

Post by elenaeffe »

(HOW I DISCOVERED THE BOOK)
I found this book by chance. I was in a book shop and I saw the last book of Harper Lee "Go set a watchman" at the first places in the ranking of best-selling books; I became curious. Usually, I don't pay attention to the rankings of the shops because they don't match my taste, but this time was different. I was not attracted by the cover, I found it not very catching, but from the author's name. It was so cut and it made me remember something. So I checked the others books from the same author. I discovered that the story starts from "to kill a mockingbird"; when I saw the cover of this book I understood immediately why it sounds known. It was the favourite book of my grandmother; she was using to keep it near her bed and every night, before to go to bed she was reading it to my grandfather. I was completely forgot about it, so I decided that I had to read it to discover which was the power of this book.
(LITTLE DESCRIPTION)
I read it in one breath.
I love the way the story is telling. It's written like a fairy tale. The author used the young eyes of two charachters Scout and Jem Finch, to tell a story that unfolds on a deep-seated racial prejudice. It's amazing the figure of the father, he is a very life teacher. He doesn't use to do long chats with his children but he always acts to teach them what it's right and what it's wrong. His great teaching is: when all the people think different from you, but you know that they do it just because they are driven by prejudice, you have to stay on your path helping the others to understand and never give up just because it's easier stay with the bigger group.
jokersw1ld
Currently Reading: Moby Dick
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jokersw1ld »

This was never assigned to read in my schools, I need to read this book.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I loved this book. One of the only required books from high school I really enjoyed. The movie was very interesting as well.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Joshiemic2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshiemic2.html

Post by Joshiemic2 »

Read this in high school and just recently picked up a copy to read again. I found this book a bear to get through! The plot was slow and uninteresting to me, I didn't quite connect with any of the characters and the lack of depth on Atticus really left something to be desired for me... needless to say, I shall pick up this classic maybe sometime later down the road.
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

I have read this book at least a dozen times. I love it and I even love the old black and white film adaptation. I first read it in high school and I loved it from the beginning.
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie

Return to “Classic Books”