Twilight or The Vampire Diaries?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashbrooke
Currently Reading: Soul Surfer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashbrooke.html

Twilight or The Vampire Diaries?

Post by ashbrooke »

I'm in love with both Twilight and The Vampire Diaries, but for the books, Twilight catches my eye more. It's a book I can pick up at any time and just read it. It's my go-to book. I take it everywhere, in case I just decide to read. It's such a beautiful book, with amazing characters. So beautifully written. When I start reading it, I can't put it down.

What do you think?
Wiseone2980
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wiseone2980.html

Post by Wiseone2980 »

i've had a long standing fascination with vampires....I read VD when i was a freshman in high school WAAAAYYYY back in the mid-1990s and LJ Smith was one of my favorite authors (hello, Secret Circle series?). I've also read most of the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles as well. However, I got sucked into the world of Twilight at the ripe old age of .... hah, you didn't think i'd really tell you how old i was.... but old enough to not be able to pass for a YA reader, lol! I love me some Edward Cullen. In fact, i was secretly hoping that when i was pregnant, before we found out we were having a girl, that if it was a boy, his name was going to be Cullen. It really has been a long time since i've read the VD books, but i do remember enjoying them - the focus was more on the vamp aspects rather than in Twilight were it's all from Bella's perspective.
kaykay1216
Currently Reading: Kept
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaykay1216.html

Post by kaykay1216 »

Although I love both series, I have to say that Vampire Diaries is my favorite. L. J. Smith is an amazing author, and I love every chance that I get to read one of her books. I could curl up on the porch in the sun with one of her books and read all day long if I was able to.
hannahjoy2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hannahjoy2 »

Lj smith will always be my favorite author. I read the Twilight series and it was pretty good, but i liked the host better. The vampire diaries, the secret circle, the forbidden game, Night World, and her other book which i have forgotten the name of will always be number one.
Mori
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mori.html

Post by Mori »

I agree with the Host and the forbidden game. However, I was a huge fan of the twilight books well before the movies came out (the movies to me didn't do justice to the books). The Vampire diaries, like many other books, kind of went on a little too much for my taste, but were really well written as well. Given the choice, i would re-read any of the twilight books before going back through vampire diaries.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

Twilight. I am one of those people who loved the Twilight series and hated the movies. I don't watch VD on TV, and I found the book quite uninteresting. However I loved L.J.Smith's Secret Circle series.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
shadowkissed14
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowkissed14.html

Post by shadowkissed14 »

For me i choose Twilight. There was something about the series that really captured my interest and got me hooked to the point that I read the first 3 books in two days.I heard about the Vampire Diaries but didn't read the book due to the mixed reviews that the series have gotten online.For the adaptation, it will be the Vampire Diaries for me because the movie for Twilight is a let down and not quite what I expected.
Somncrazy
Currently Reading: Love Letter to the Dead
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Somncrazy »

I loved the Twilight series when it came out, and Breaking Dawn is still in my top books to re-read. It was the unique take and mythology of the vampires that made it both interesting the first time you read it, and kind of flat afterwards because the is no downside to the 'losing your humanity' issue. All things considered though, the writing and the story are better developed and the story arc makes sense. I did not like the movies.
As for VD, the show is NOT good in many levels but successful with its target audience. I find that the books are somewhat boring an the series too drawn out for purely commercial reasons.
Ash22
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash22.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ash22 »

I love twilight and vampire diaries but book series wise I love twilight more when first read twilight it felt like I was in the book when I read vampire diaries I didn't really get that feeling it was a bad series but I definitely liked the twilight series more
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I agree with you. I would choose Twilight, for me the book was better written and I liked the plot better. I also agree with you that I could see myself rereading the Twilight series but not The Vampire Diaries series. :P
Ash22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash22.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ash22 »

Yeah I just couldn't get into vampire diaries like I did twilight and I agree the plot for twilight is better. :)
BookLover25
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover25.html

Post by BookLover25 »

Twilight is my go to reread to. I just connect with it more than The Vampire Diaries. I take Twilight with me most places I go if I want a quick read.
Alylynn317
Currently Reading: Every Last Word
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alylynn317.html

Post by Alylynn317 »

Twilight for books, Vampire Diaries for TV show.

I loved Twilight in book form. Stephanie Myer is an amazing writer. I wished she would write more books becuase The Host is my favorite book of all time. The movies though were not so good. They never really are but it is hard to caption Stephenies passion and deep emotion from her writing, in movie format, and that is what the movies are lacking.

For Vampire Diaries, I did read most the books, way back when, but if anyone has read the books and watched the TV show know they are vastly different! I'm pretty sure they just used some of the names and then created their own show. If you watch the first episode you see they are trying to take a little bit from the book for Damon's character but then completely forget about the crows and the fog in the next episodes. The TV show I think have much better plots than the books...surprisingly, that might be the only time you see me say that. I honestly am in love with the show (and Damon), so hands down TV show wins.
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

I think Twillight is better
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
CapriceM
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricem.html

Post by CapriceM »

The Vampire Diaries! I do love both, but VD wins in my opinion. I mean there's so much drama and unexpected happenings. I just love those jaw-dropping moments that it gives you. I really need to get the complete series..

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”