Strengths and Weaknesses

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Strengths and Weaknesses

Post by Scott »

Very early in Burn Zones, Mr. Newbery lists his 10 strengths and 10 weaknesses.

The lists are the same! I think this is really clever.

Do you think it is generally true that one's unique strengths and unique weaknesses are often each two sides of the same coin?

I think there is a lot of wisdom in that concept. Recognizing one's strengths and weaknesses as two sides of the same coin enables one to work on making use of their own unique characteristics rather than merely trying to change the relatively unchangeable. What do you think?

What are your strengths and weaknesses? Are they the same as each other?

---
View Burn Zones on Amazon | View Burn Zones on Bookshelves
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Unsa Malik
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsa-malik.html

Post by Unsa Malik »

I think weaknesses are the reflections of ones strengths. Because every strength comes with a weakness and every weakness is a strength . So a part of both Is a part of the other . PS I am very new to socializing :)
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

It's an interesting concept. I think that weaknesses and strengths form in reaction to each other. For example if you are strong in a certain area you may lapse in another or vice versa to form a type of balance.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Unsa Malik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsa-malik.html

Post by Unsa Malik »

Yeah that is true and quite interesting. How opposition surrounds every part of our life .
What is a strength for someone might be a weakness for someone elsr
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Talking from personal experience, I've sometimes had my strengths hold me back when trying new things. For example, when I was little I told my grandma, "No, I'm good at READING books, not writing them!" :lol:
I also thought that the fact that I had read so many books already would work against me, because I didn't want to plagiarize anything I had read from them.. Such a naive little child haha

On the other hand, I only ever see weaknesses as strengths when they take responsibilities off my shoulders. My mom knows exactly which presents are from me each Christmas because no matter how square the box, the wrapping always ends up looking lumpy and crumpled! Which is why I wrapped exactly one present this Christmas, and after my boyfriend saw it he wrapped the rest of our combined presents for me. :wink:
Moe_1984

Post by Moe_1984 »

I think strengths and weaknesses are the normal shapes of the human personality!thats essentially who we are,like in my case I always thought I can survive and live just fine with very limited human interaction with others!!now I'm getting older now and start realizing that thought was merely a weakness and silly one! :roll: :roll:
Paul2love

Post by Paul2love »

you are right moe very right..i felt that same way after i lost my wife 7 years ago but now things changed and i think i need someone again..i believe then i weak and now im regaining strenght..
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Paul2love, thank you for sharing that very personal detail of your life. I am glad that you are regaining strength and wish you the best.

For me, I also believe strengths and weaknesses go hand-in-hand. For example, I am a pretty shy person when I first meet someone. I typically don't approach anyone new in gatherings if I don't know. Even sometimes when I do know them, but don't feel 100% comfortable with them, I still don't approach them. I would consider this a weakness because most times, I become self-conscious, which who wants that at a party?

However, I can see it as a strength too because in turn I become attached to those I am comfortable with and will always be there for my friends no matter what. They also know that if they confide in me that it will stay between us.

Very good question!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
eunice2868
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice2868.html

Post by eunice2868 »

Strengths and weaknesses are often two sides of the same coin.

For example, a person that is success oriented, he may be motivated and committed. He will put in a lot of effort in order to succeed in his career. Such trait will be his strength. :)

On the other hand, he may become overzealous in achieving success whereby he worked non stop and does not have time for his family and exercise. Such trait will be his weakness then. :(

All in all, I suppose we should remind ourselves to strike a balance in everything we do. :text-lol:
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I like that the lists are the same. It conveys the idea that strength and weakness are not isolated cases, but they are connected. It's an important lesson to learn because so many people think that once they possess this trait, then they are invincible, but it actually has another avenue for vulnerability. Although the relation is not always cause and effect, the relationship between strengths and weaknesses are undeniable.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

I keep seeming to come up with new strengths.. and new weaknesses.

I do wonder at times if I can ever get the scales to balance in favour for extended periods..

It can be a lot easier to assess someone well -known to me, than myself. Although I am pretty self-aware.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

My strength is knowing my weaknesses and my weaknesses...well there are too many to count.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html

Post by CzechTigg »

I didn't like my former tennis coach shouting ' Strengths and weaknesses' at me when we were just establishing rhythm. But no one's perfect.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Unsa Malik wrote:I think weaknesses are the reflections of ones strengths. Because every strength comes with a weakness and every weakness is a strength . So a part of both Is a part of the other . PS I am very new to socializing :)
I really agree with this. I find I can turn my strength into a weakness and vise versa. Where a certain one attribute might be a strength somewhere else it is a weakness. For example I am very compassionate which I think is a strength but when it comes to having to reprimand an employee, I find it hard because then I feel bad about it. My written and verbal communication on the phone are a strength but in person it becomes a quick weakness. Like you said Unsa, there are always two sides to the coin.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

literarycat wrote:
Unsa Malik wrote:I think weaknesses are the reflections of ones strengths. Because every strength comes with a weakness and every weakness is a strength . So a part of both Is a part of the other . PS I am very new to socializing :)
I really agree with this. I find I can turn my strength into a weakness and vise versa. Where a certain one attribute might be a strength somewhere else it is a weakness. For example I am very compassionate which I think is a strength but when it comes to having to reprimand an employee, I find it hard because then I feel bad about it. My written and verbal communication on the phone are a strength but in person it becomes a quick weakness. Like you said Unsa, there are always two sides to the coin.

I agree completely!!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”