How do you discover new music?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

How do you discover new music?

Post by hannahbm13 »

I have had a very hard time finding new music lately! I've listened to the same bands for quite a while now and have been itching to hear some new stuff.

I've tried finding new music through browsing old records at flea markets, listening to pandora or other similar sites, and listening to what my friends like. Nothing seems to give me good results!

If anybody has any other ideas or suggestions, I would love to see what you have to say :)
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
EmilyMae
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilymae.html
Latest Review: "The Ritual" by Thadd Simpson

Post by EmilyMae »

Usually when I am looking to find new music I go to pandora! I know that sounds pretty basic, but it actually does help me. I like listening to the "Alternative Hits" station. Also, my boyfriend likes to make me mixtapes :)
Latest Review: "The Ritual" by Thadd Simpson
zjones99
Favorite Author: John Green
Currently Reading: Binge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjones99.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by zjones99 »

When I am bored I sometimes listen to Apple Radio on my phone and listen to a few stations to see if anything peaks my interest.
ksinev44
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ksinev44 »

I use i Tunes. I type in a band I already like, then it will list a bunch of bands that are similar. I've founds some good bands that way. I do a similar thing with youtube. I'll compile a list of songs I already like, then other types of videos will be suggested. Pandora works for that as well. I guess it depends on whether you want to listen to similar music to what you already buy or if you are just planning on branching out in a new direction entirely.
MissMinneapolis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missminneapolis.html

Post by MissMinneapolis »

I actually discover it either through Pandora or some friends. I highly recommend Pandora because it has such a variety of music but also sticks to a similar style to whatever artist you are listening to.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Well, listening to the radio when driving is one way I do it still. But also going on iTunes and browsing the new releases in the genres of music that I enjoy. They also usually have entire selected albums, both recent and older releases, for download for $5.99 in each genre as well. It works quite well for me. I hope it does for you too! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
dickens 100
Currently Reading: The Italian Wife
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickens-100.html

Post by dickens 100 »

Listening to the radio, however they play the same songs over again, which is tedious. Love bands like the Artic Monkeys,but
the charts are full of rubbish, so have started getting into classical musical, can't beat a bit of Chopin after a hard day!
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

dickens 100 wrote:classical musical, can't beat a bit of Chopin after a hard day!
Good choice! :)

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Threadend
Favorite Author: Sylvia Plath
Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-threadend.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 7000

Post by Threadend »

I use Spotify (mostly) to find new artists. I will browse the "stations" they have and if I come across a song I really like, I add it to my music and go back to the artist. I have found 94% of my new music this way. Especially after my music tastes drastically changed, I just had to dive in head first and try out a new bunch of bands and musicians.
foxyreader16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxyreader16.html

Post by foxyreader16 »

When I'm looking for new music, I actually go to Youtube to see what I can find since in my experience the suggested videos generated when you're watching a video can lead to new songs and artists. Also, just spending time with my friends helps because they have different tastes in music or seeing a band perform at a event helps me find new songs.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Jumping between radio stations and Youtube. I especially like one of the newer features on Youtube called "Youtube Mix". Pick a song you like then it generates an ongoing playlist of various songs it thinks you'll like. Some of which you may have heard before and some which may be entirely new to you but similar to your tastes.
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

I start with something I like on Youtube, then start browsing the recommendations. Pick one, listen, then pick a different rec. Repeat until you're listening to songs you've never heard before.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Tanaya wrote:Jumping between radio stations and Youtube. I especially like one of the newer features on Youtube called "Youtube Mix". Pick a song you like then it generates an ongoing playlist of various songs it thinks you'll like. Some of which you may have heard before and some which may be entirely new to you but similar to your tastes.
I never knew that they had that feature. Very cool! Thanks for letting us know about it! :D

elaineavila991

Post by elaineavila991 »

Visit my friends soundcloud account :)
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I use Pandora and YouTube. I also check the billboard occasionally.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi

Return to “Poetry & Music”