Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Discuss the May 2014 book of the month Splintered by A. G. Howard.

How do you rate Splintered?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
1%
2 stars - fair, okay
14%
3 stars - good, recommend it
58%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
26%

Total votes: 69

mkostecki11
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkostecki11.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Splintered

Post by mkostecki11 »

Thanks for the review! I love hearing that the book has all the mystical and romance aspects I'm such a sucker for. Sounds like a book I will absolutely love, can't wait to get my hands on it! Waiting for the whole series to come out before I start.
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

Overall I have mixed feelings about Splintered. The dark and disturbing imagery which Howard opens up with actually drew me into the story. I was intrigued by the idea of a sinister Alice in Wonderland. However, it did take a long time for the protagonist to reach Wonderland and once there, I felt the author was so wrapped up in the love triangle, that the story of Alice in Wonderland was somewhat lost. Nevertheless, we have to take into consideration the audience which the author is writing to. This is teen to young adult, coming of age, fantasy fiction and I think to this audience the complicated romance sections would be welcomed.

Nearing the end of the book, I felt the author regained focus and returned her attention to the world of wonderland and was able to tie everything together, but made it clear that there were some questions unanswered and a sequel was in the making.

I did enjoy reading the book, and I did get lost in the world that Howard created, but at times I wished that there was a little bit more story line. And frequently some of the connections in the story seemed forced or didn't fit. But Howard did have some really good ideas, a vivid imagination, and some skill at creating a fantastical yet disquieting Wonderland. I'm debating on whether or not I would like to read the sequel, Unhinged.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
lizj97
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

This was one of those books when I found it hard to get into it but once "in" I could not put it down. I really enjoyed the book and would give it a 3 rating.
BlameNargles
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blamenargles.html

Post by BlameNargles »

10 stars for Splintered by A. G. Howard. Can we please take a moment of silence to appreciate this majestic book of wonderfulness Don't assume you wont like it just because it warped our all-time classic YOU. WILL. LOVE. IT.

"Anita's idea of continuing on what happened after Alice was in Wonderland is pure genius." :!: :!: :!: :!:
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

Ohmysweetgoodness. I got to hear Ms. Howard talk, and she sent me a signed copy of her book, and I must say, that I have been devouring the series ever since it first came out. She gave a talk at my school, and my friend and I are the ultimate super fans of SPLINTERED, and she gave us copies to the novel, and the way she talked about UNHINGED and ENSNARED, oh good lord! I have my copy pre-ordered, and if those haven't read it, READ IT!
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I've been meaning to read this book since forever, but I just never got around to reading it. Now after reading all the positive comments, maybe I'll give it another try!
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I thought it was very interesting and a new take on something that is remade so often. I think I enjoyed it more than I expected to because I wasn't totally sure what to expect, and I've read a couple different retellings based (loosely) on Alice in Wonderland. Some were great, like this one, some are rather bizarre but still enjoyable. I haven't read the second book, Unhinged, yet but I am excited to. Its a bit farther down on my to read list right now because I forgot about them for a little while. I gave it a 3 of 4 star rating on here, and a 4 of 5 star rating on Goodreads. It was a very good book, and definitely made me interested in seeing how the story continues!
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

It took me a very long time to get into this book. After I did, I was hooked. It was intriguing and scary at times. I would give this a 3/4.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

I thought that this book looked really interesting and I've had it on my "to read" list for a while. I have not read it, but these opinions really make me want to even more!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

The idea oF Alice in Wonderland with a twist is quite appealing, hence I picked up this book. I wasn't disappointed but it could have been better. There were portions of the book which were brilliantly done and kept the me engaged, but I felt the pace too slow towards the end.
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

A magnificent book to read.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I thrive on an author's originality! This depiction of Alice in Wonderland was by far one of the best I've seen. The dark twist in this novel gave it an entirely different feel. Many times with these types of remakes, I get bored and lose interest really fast. I was not disappointed here.

I would recommend this book to all. It has an YA Theme. But everyone can enjoy it. The bug obsession, although creepy, was a way to stop the voices. I totally got that. Lots of twists in this plot which worked. I rate it a 3 out of 4.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

Not my particular taste, but I'll give it a shot after hearing your reviews!
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I hadn't heard of this book before reading the review. I have to say it has piqued my interest. I actually like trilogies if the characters are relatable. There have been many stand alone books that I wished were trilogies because I fell in love with the characters and wanted to know more.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
Jenie
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenie.html
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Post by Jenie »

I really enjoyed Splintered. It was a different side of the story Alice in Wonderland. It wasn't easily predictable compared to some YA novels. Most times that I predicted a path, I was proven wrong. Definitely a must read for a lot of teenagers, it opens the imagination and gives you a tour of this very peculiar world.
The Greatness of a man is in the quality of his personality and in the effectiveness of his influence ~ Chris O.
Latest Review: "Barnaby and Clare" by Derrick Alexander

Return to “"Splintered" by A. G. Howard”