Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
hermione3280
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you think Tris made the right faction choice?

Post by hermione3280 »

I think she chose the right faction because of what she does in future books. She needs the physical and mental training to fulfill her future role in the story.
jordyn21
Favorite Book: Of Mice and Men
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordyn21.html

Post by jordyn21 »

I think that she would have chose this faction (dauntless) no matter what her results would have been because she longed to be in that group. She admired them so much and wanted so badly to be a part of it you could tell by the way she talked about them.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
~Marilyn Monroe
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

No, I don't think she made the right choice. She would have been happier in her parent's faction. On the other hand, there would have been no story if she made that choice, so Dauntless it is the only other real choice.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
unicorny07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicorny07.html

Post by unicorny07 »

I think she would have been miserable if she had stayed Abnegation. Dauntless brought out who she really was. Her true self was just being restricted in Abnegation.
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

I think she did. She was very aware of her self and the only source of her struggles is her love and respect for her parents.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
Sarah10

Post by Sarah10 »

I think she was put into a situation where there was no right choice because really we all have a bit of every faction in us (and especially Tris, as she later discovers). I think she just picked a faction out of fear of being stuck with the fact that if she stayed with her family then she would always be wondering "what if"... but the fact is, she was a teenager and I don't think most people would be able to make "the right decision" at that age because no one really knows who they are or who they'll become at that age, even if they think they do.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I think so. Bravery and selflessness go typically hand in hand. Her handling of the erudite' hostile takeover was nothing short of brave.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I think she did. She is selfless, but in order for her to realize how selfless she is, she had to switch to a faction that helped her to realize that she is both selfless AND brave.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
pinkmoon6337

Post by pinkmoon6337 »

I think Tris did choose the right faction. She always admired the Dauntless and it was obvious that she would choose that faction. Dauntless made her stronger and braver, but more importantly it made her realize who she was. Abnegation advised it members to forget themselves, and by forgetting herself she never really knew what was important to her. Dauntless helped her realize that she was a revolutionary.
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

Tris did make the right choice. She became much stronger during initiation. I feel that her coming out of Abnegation gave her a better ability to relate to others and put others before herself. I think that is part of the reason she took it so hard when she shot Will. She KNEW he wasn't himself, yet she had no choice in the matter. Had she been selfless she would not have cared if she shot him or not. She struggled with that choice from that moment on. I believe she had exactly what was needed to be exactly who she was. Tris really couldn't have made any other choice.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

Tris wasn't right for Abnegation. Plus, Dauntless was in her blood. It was the only place she could fit in.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

I do think she made the right choice. She followed her heart. How can you go wrong. I know she was worried about leaving her family but I think she needed to chose her own path. As we read on we can see that she was made for this faction. She has some of her mother in her.
olyazhuk

Post by olyazhuk »

Yes! Tris became brave, confident and strong. When she was little she craved the freedom and never fit in her parents faction. The fact that she is divergent, her being in dauntless taught her to stay alive and protect her from those who hate divergent.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

I think that tris did make the right choice by picking dauntless. She chose to not stay in Her original faction even though that was the easier option. Dauntless was truly a great fit for her and it all worked out in the end. If I was in her position I would have done the same.
NothingOkGrey
Favorite Author: Daniel Handler
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Late Starters Orchestra
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nothingokgrey.html
fav_author_id: 3229

Post by NothingOkGrey »

I think she made the right choice in that she wouldn't have been satisfied in Abnegation. Dauntless also made for a more interesting read.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”