Stephenie Meyer - Twilight

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
atrixa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by atrixa »

I can't believe it's on recommended reading lists for schools now.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
xoxo

Post by xoxo »

but i don't get it :? she did really great ... the backgrounds of each character was fascinating and the character's really touched my heart.. and i really managed to imagine the plots and characters even though i lack in imagination :P c'mon guys give her some credit it was great especially breaking dawn where she described bella who tried the impossible to protect her daughter even though it almost kill her <<Literary.. i really loved them i got attached that i feel like i miss them now even though they're not real..
Shakeelah

Post by Shakeelah »

I guess I am just not a fan of the message it gives to kids. Fall in love with semi-abusive, stalker guy. Graduate. Marry guy just to have sex with him. Fall pregnant at the age of 19! Welcome to the rest of your life.
freckles

Post by freckles »

I agree with what so many others have said about this, I didn't enjoy her writing style, I wasn't a fan of the obsessive nature of their "love", and I also though the whole story line of Bella being in love with Jacob too was in contradiction with how much she supposedly loved Edward. My sister loved the books so I read them and wasn't nearly as impressed. I did read through them all because in the end I wanted to see what happened, but definately not favorites and not deserving of being compared to some of the great authors.
xoxo

Post by xoxo »

hmmm yup totally agree with u bout the msg it sends.. not the live i would chose feels like she's soo young and taking the wrong decisions, but I think what stephenie really wants us to get is that there are teenagers that really thinks maturely like Bella, I know a couple of girls which are so similar to her i even imagined them in her place while reading the book.. They do take wrong decisions they're still imature and teenagers but they don't take things lightly they think of them selves as grown ups it annoys me alot to think they're taking mature responsibilties.. they're missing all the fun -____-" and they shouldn't waste there times being serious :? but some ppl prefer being mature so.. But i really loved new moon when she was with Jacob.. she took things lightly as a normal teenager it was fun even she had fun.. But after the werewolf thingy i think even Jacob became more serious :( and Bella didn't choose Jacob she chose Edward she wanted to be with the mature vampire since jacob was the childish one compared to edward so she did want that life :? I don't know if you get it lol my conclusions are sloppy srry bout that it's just in the end Bella's a teenager but decides on things more seriously than she should i mean the wedding was just to make others happy..who would think of others in when taking a decision like that so i don't know in the end it's just what i think maybe i got it wrong so yah well sorry for the long post again :oops: LOL
jaytuk

Post by jaytuk »

Shakeelah wrote:I guess I am just not a fan of the message it gives to kids. Fall in love with semi-abusive, stalker guy. Graduate. Marry guy just to have sex with him. Fall pregnant at the age of 19! Welcome to the rest of your life.
I totally agree. So many teenage girls have read it and now have a distorted picture of their dream guy.
kennyg

Post by kennyg »

I'm quite surprised myself but that's what we call talent and luck combined together :)
sarascareermail

Post by sarascareermail »

I believe that the best writers are those who aren't really trying to write. Stephanie Meyers says that the entire Twilight series came from a dream that she had one night. The dream was of the meadown scene in which Edward shows Bella what his skin looks like in the sun. I have had some pretty amazing dreams that I think would make great books.
faustinblack

Post by faustinblack »

Have ya'll read any other YA fiction besides the Twilight books? There is worse stuff out there, with more violence, blood, and sex.
Try reading Valiant by Holly Black.
paulineee

Post by paulineee »

stephenie meyer is cool :)

i love the fact that edward cullen was named after edward rochester of jane eyre :)

yeah the writing is very elementary but the plot is awesome in my opinion ... i jus hated the ending :(

cullens should have died. lol.
Lovebird

Post by Lovebird »

byersl wrote: How did she come up with the idea/concept of a vampire love story?
Are you kidding? Have you heard of Buffy?
Dezire06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezire06.html

Post by Dezire06 »

I Loved twilight it was so good
WriterBLAlley

Post by WriterBLAlley »

As an author, I'm not yet qualified to judge (if ever I will be), but as a reader and movie goer I can't help feeling she took the idea for one teeny-bopper vampire novel and stretched it into a series simply to cash in on the LOTR and Harry Potter successes. There is a lot of repetition and boring filler to both the books and movies.
When I look through the new books coming out, half or more seem to be part of a series.
daniellewood94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniellewood94.html

Post by daniellewood94 »

Strangely enough, I only read the Twilight series in the past year or so. I really enjoyed them and am not making my other half watch the films with me haha
ebookfan

Post by ebookfan »

I personally love vampire stories but never been a fan of Twilight. I think 'The Vampire Diaries' by LJ Smith should have had more recognition.

~Devine Destinies~

Return to “Discuss Authors”