Romeo and Juliet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sissybear
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sissybear.html

Romeo and Juliet

Post by sissybear »

Right now am reading Romeo and Juliet in school for my LA (language arts) class, this is not my first time reading this book....Each time I read this book I feel like am reading it for the first time because it's such a good book and I think it also has to do with the different language in the book. I wanted to know if anyone else is or has read this book before and I also wanted to know of you liked it. Thanks for your time and let me know what you think.
lindyk93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindyk93.html

Post by lindyk93 »

Romeo and Juliet is one of my least favorite books. I detest a story about a three day romance between a thirteen year old and a seventeen year old. Now, part of the reason I do not like it is because of the hype it gets from middle/high school girls. That aside, it is well written (I mean it is Shakespeare) and is not a bad story. The lesson of the feuding families is very important for people to remember as well. Sometimes you just need to put your own feeling aside when love is blooming.
sissybear

Post by sissybear »

Yes I do agree with what your saying but the "not liking it is because of the hype it gets from middle/high school girls", I don't understand what you mean about that. You have to also understand that back then getting married and or falling in love in three days with someone older then you was normal.......
lindyk93

Post by lindyk93 »

Oh I understand that, I was just joking about how middle/high school girls compare their relationships to Romeo and Juliet.. only a joke.
sissybear

Post by sissybear »

You do know that not a single person ever compares their relationship to Romeo and Juliet because of what happened to them, right.......
lindyk93

Post by lindyk93 »

Actually, you would be very surprised at how many people do. Not that they should, but they do oddly enough.
sissybear

Post by sissybear »

I guess I could see why because Romeo and Juliet had a deep love but not in a good way, so I don't think people should but there's nothing we can do....
lindyk93

Post by lindyk93 »

They compare the hardships they have had to Romeo and Juliet's hardships. Now they can do whatever they want, but I just think it is a little silly to compare oneself to such a tragic love story. So, that is why I made a little joke.
sissybear

Post by sissybear »

That is true too......
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Probably my least favourite of the great man's plays - for me it just lacks the depth of, for example, The Merchant or Hamlet.
It has been done to death so I guess that may be why I have turned against it or maybe I'm just a tad cynical.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

One of my favorites. I adore Shakespeare, and his words sweep me off my feet. My favorite part is when Romeo and Juliet have just met and kiss for the first time, which included the metaphors pertaining to the pilgrim ships and whatnot. I fall in love with it again and again every time I read it.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

I'm another one who finds the language wonderful, because Shakespeare knew what he was doing, but am left underwhelmed by the story. The ending always strikes me as overdramatic, though it would be a definite letdown if one or the other developed a stiff upper lip to deal with the loss of the other.

That said, I have always meant to see the film version "Romeo + Juliet," for the cast.
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
Caz1+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

I was forced to read Romeo and Juliet at school and was never a fan. Reading this took so long and I never want to read it again if I have to.
sissybear

Post by sissybear »

Wow, I thought there would be a lot more people who liked Romeo and Juliet.......
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

Amongst my favourite Shakespeare's too. Surprised by the animosity, I don't know if school's ruined it for people...
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Return to “Classic Books”