Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
moonlesswhisperings3
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonlesswhisperings3.html

Re: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Post by moonlesswhisperings3 »

I absolutely love this book! I read it as a child and an adult, and hope my children will too. I actually read a biography of sorts about Alice Liddel, very interesting!
SneakyReviewer007
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sneakyreviewer007.html

Post by SneakyReviewer007 »

tinebutler wrote:I can remember reading Alice in Wonderland when I was a young child. I recently found a old version of the book and read it as an adult. As an adult I saw the story in the eyes of a adult and found myself in the same magical place as I had been when I was a child reading it.

I have to agree! It's quite a magical tale Once that transcends and will always be endeared :P
- Lewis Caroll you truly were amazing -
cheryl103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl103.html

Post by cheryl103 »

This is my all time favorite story.

And no, the story does not have to make sense for it to be good. But indeed the book does make sense. It makes sense in the way that it doesn't. What seems like nonsense and endless gibber-gabber are actually fairly universal ideals. For example, in this quote, to a child or a uninformed or misinformed adult, the dialogue seems like bantering.

Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don’t much care where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn’t matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"--so long as I get SOMEWHERE," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you’re sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

It is obvious to the educated and experienced person that this nonsense dialogue are facts of life. You realize the Cheshire Cat isn't as mad as you thought. (Or he is as mad as you thought, but you are just as mad as him.)

I believe this book really can teach you a whole lot. It is saddening to me that this story is being written off by some people because they simply don't understand it and don't care to take the time to read through the nonsense and make sense of it. KEEP ALICE ALIVE!!
standi69
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Mislaid
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standi69.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by standi69 »

I read this book a while back when I was in my teens and the other day I was sitting here talking to me daughter about her books and realized I am raising her right. When she was in Kindergarten she and I read Alice in Wonderland. It was a hit, her eyes lit up every time a new character presented itself and and their story, because lets face it ever character in Alice in wonderland had their own story. She easily got caught up in the small stores within the book and was so excited when Alice woke up. Children are unbelievable, read them the classics.
Ian
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ian.html

Post by Ian »

Its more than a children's book, if you study the book in detail lots of dark undercurrents.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Ian wrote:Its more than a children's book, if you study the book in detail lots of dark undercurrents.
Agree, as with Animal Farm, you can just read it as a children's story or delve deeper into the hidden meanings and allusions.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Chelsea_noel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsea-noel.html

Post by Chelsea_noel »

I don't believe this book is such of a children's book as many like to believe. The part I enjoyed most about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is that the reader can interpret it in an infinity of ways. It's confusing in the most wonderful way, I still question the happenings that occurred, and a book that has you thinking about it well after you have actually read it is something special indeed.
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

Wonderful book, remember reading this as a child and do still enjoy this book today.
imodelmichelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imodelmichelle.html

Post by imodelmichelle »

Once you start reading this books it captivates you in this world with alice. The word play is wonderful and elegantly written. I wish he would have written way more books. the original Alice Adventures in Wonderland was a book written by lewis carol called Alice Adventures Underground written for a young girl he knew named Alice. Soon he turned them into what they are now.
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

Through the Looking Glass is absolute literary gold. Heck, the whimsy of Jabberwocky alone is enough to make me ache for childhood.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
Galahadrik

Post by Galahadrik »

"Alice in Wonderland" is a literary masterpiece. Its ground breaking in the sense that the protagonist is not only female but a female /child/! Alice is a princess that needs no prince. She's completely independent throughout the book relying solely on herself. No damsel in distress here. This concept was unheard of during Lewis Carroll's time. What truly makes this work a masterpiece however is the fact that it makes sense in a nonsensical way. Carroll created an entirely new genre . Many have tried to mirror this work however they fall short of the original work.
Annabel_Krantz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabel-krantz.html

Post by Annabel_Krantz »

I love the imagination in this book - I think it reminds grown ups not to let go of their childish fancies, lest they become dull and lifeless...
sangeetha_nk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeetha-nk.html

Post by sangeetha_nk »

It's been a long time reading Alice in Wonderland. I read it first in my school. It was a part of the curriculum. I should also thank my teacher who made it much more beautiful by making each student a character in the book. It was a wonderful experience and I look forward to re-reading it
to become a Name even death can't kill
mandap24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

I agree with a lot of people how Alice in Wonderland can have different meanings to the child self and adult self.
Carroll has such a vivid imagination that just comes out of the page and draws the reader into a whole new world.
He's so clever with his words and one of my favorite characters will always be the Cheshire Cat he makes so much sense and none at all and I love his little riddles.
There is just so much to get out of this book. I was happy to get to read an older edition that had both books and I would love to reread them again as they are such a fast read.
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

I have read Alice in wonderland and I totally loved it! I had got a copy with illustrations so was fun to read!
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler

Return to “Classic Books”