What do you look for in a good book cover?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
WhiteLotus
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 1019
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitelotus.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What do you look for in a good book cover?

Post by WhiteLotus »

I agree that it has a little to do with genre. Sci-fi for instance tend to be more illustration based, so I look for something that has nice illustration in it. I find most Young Adult covers a little busy, though, the ones that have like the setting-scape and the person and then a background too... it's just too much going on for me.
Of course, good use of colors and space is attractive, good placing of the art used... but it really is a subconscious choice. it's not like I'm outright looking for something specific.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I have, in the last few days, erroneously bypassed an excellent book and later found out that it was amazing. I think the colors / tone of the cover should match the book. Choice of colors, and the title itself should be carefully selected to compliment the book.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I used to look for the book's intended scenery/setting in book covers when I was younger. I still do that now, but not so much. I'm also captured by bright colors and alluring fonts that look magical. Honestly, I'm captured by many things, it's hard to say I look for one thing in particular!

I like covers that seem "deep" -- a few words on the cover with a pretty bold color and maybe a few snowflakes. I don't know. One of the book covers that I really like, though, is from Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. It's extremely eye-catching to me.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Lgs1089 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 15:31 I'm curious to explore what others find most appealing in a book cover. What is eye-catching to you? Is it the art, font, color usage, or another detail that strikes your fancy?
For me, the most appealing thing is a cover that sells. I'd look at what the clients would like to buy then make that for them.

As for personal preferences, I like girly book covers. But that may not necessarily sell for everyone. So if you're asking about a cover that you can use to sell your book, I'd refer to my first point.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

WhiteLotus wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 06:45 I agree that it has a little to do with genre. Sci-fi for instance tend to be more illustration based, so I look for something that has nice illustration in it. I find most Young Adult covers a little busy, though, the ones that have like the setting-scape and the person and then a background too... it's just too much going on for me.
Of course, good use of colors and space is attractive, good placing of the art used... but it really is a subconscious choice. it's not like I'm outright looking for something specific.
I agree, the genre does has an influence.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

crediblereading2 wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 12:48 The title must be very bold and related to the contents of the book. Also, the artwork must be very attractive.
I agree with you.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 18:07 I have, in the last few days, erroneously bypassed an excellent book and later found out that it was amazing. I think the colors / tone of the cover should match the book. Choice of colors, and the title itself should be carefully selected to compliment the book.
Oh yes, certainly!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Nisha Ward wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 02:29 The colours and then the art. The font doesn't really matter to me, but the colours have to be eye-catching and complimentary before I look at anything else.
These are helpful points to note.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

I first look for a visually pleasing design. And the second thing is the book cover should reflect the part of the theme of the contents in the book.
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

I like covers that have an air of mystery. If I look at a book cover and it has too much going on then I won’t even consider picking it up. It needs to have just enough to catch the eye and make me think hmmm winder what this one is about
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Tamorie21 wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 05:02 I used to look for the book's intended scenery/setting in book covers when I was younger. I still do that now, but not so much. I'm also captured by bright colors and alluring fonts that look magical. Honestly, I'm captured by many things, it's hard to say I look for one thing in particular!

I like covers that seem "deep" -- a few words on the cover with a pretty bold color and maybe a few snowflakes. I don't know. One of the book covers that I really like, though, is from Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. It's extremely eye-catching to me.
This cover is amazing, but I truly detest when books are covered in award stickers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked that an author has been recognised for their work, but I think they really distract from what the cover is intending.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Mr_Wimbaum wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 16:26
Tamorie21 wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 05:02 I like covers that seem "deep" -- a few words on the cover with a pretty bold color and maybe a few snowflakes. I don't know. One of the book covers that I really like, though, is from Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. It's extremely eye-catching to me.
This cover is amazing, but I truly detest when books are covered in award stickers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked that an author has been recognised for their work, but I think they really distract from what the cover is intending.
I hear that! I feel the same way, mostly. If there's one reward, I think the cover can still be aesthetically pleasing. This one, though with 4 medals, still works in my opinion because of the color scheme and how the book already has that very literary feel.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

I always look for colours and creativity
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I like a cover that relates to the content of the story, but also is quite bold in color.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

for me it's everything.. everything just has to be perfect and in right proportion.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”