Official Interview: Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's chat with Sarah features Calix Leigh-Reign author of Opaque which will be book of the month in February of 2020.

To view the book on the bookshelves, click here.

To view the first official review by @TrishaAnn92, click here.

To view the second official review by @christinac_2585, click here.

To view the book on Amazon, click here.

To view the book of the month discussion, click here.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. Tell us a little about who you are and what you do outside of writing.

I’m a certified paralegal, CEO of a private corporation, founder of asoftware company, and an ambitious entrepreneur. Those titles haven’t
knocked the silly out of me, as most would think. I enjoy laughing too much to ever become rigid.

2. Who or what has been the biggest influence on you?

Life has been the biggest influence. Paying attention to more than myself and counting more than my own needs and wants has kept my heart gloriously tender and gracious.

3. Do you believe in writer's block?

I’m not a fan of labels really, but I do believe that a story that refuses to be forced will wait until it’s ready to be told.

4. Let's talk about your book, Opaque. In the novel, Adam starts to discover supernatural abilities, but he also finds out there are those that would stamp out anyone with these mutations. Why did you decide to write for young adults?

Adam is honestly his own creation. My contribution to him was censoring his swears and desiring the inclusion of troubled young adults and teens. Not everyone will be superficially likeable at first glance or meet. Real life happens in all sorts of ways and Adam is a prime example of that. I’m hoping that we all learn not to shun, shame, or alienate before we gain enough understanding to help someone who needs it.

5. Not being 16 yourself, how difficult was it to write these characters realistically? Did you get inspiration from anyone in real life?

It wasn’t difficult. I believe that we’re largely young at heart anyway. As far as realism, I believe that to be based on individual perception. Carly’s character is a composite of many strong women that I know and strong fictional characters that I’ve experienced. I even mention a few in Opaque.

6. There seems to be quite a bit of Russian ancestry included in the book. Can you tell us why you went in this direction?

The Russian dynamic was purely Adam’s manifestation. Many can’t believe that he largely wrote himself, but he truly did.

7. The second book in the series, Split Adam, has already been published. What's next in the series and when will it be released?

The next installment in the Scion Saga Series is Specular and it’s due to be released Winter 2019.

8. Do you have plans for books outside this series?

Oh gosh, yes! I’ve completed quite a few though I’m currently focusing on Specular. I love writing and reading so much.

9. Can you give any advice to those looking to write their own story?

The most important advice that an author can give another is to read. The more you read, the more you learn, grow, and become inspired. Don’t wait to start writing, but don’t rush the process. Allow your story to take on a mind of its own.

A few fun questions.

10. Which one literary character would you most want to be and why?

Honestly, growing up I yearned to be strong and fearless. I didn’t settle into wanting to be any one particular character until Carly was
created. I realized that I wouldn’t mind being her because she’s the product of strength and the epitome of strength.

11. Cheesecake or carrot cake?

Cheesecake, for sure.

12. TV or radio?

Radio

13. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as needed and wouldn’t chuck wood just because he could.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Calix's positive attitude is an inspiration. I am looking forward to reading her books. It looks like she has quite a few more in the works. Opaque and Split Adam will be on my list!
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I love the answer. It shows both creativity and simplicity:

13. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as needed and wouldn’t chuck wood just because he could.

I haven't begun the series yet. I'm debating whether I should wait for the last book to be released. This looks to be an exciting read that will difficult to put down once it's begun. I so enjoy a good weekend binge readfest.
📚 📖🐢
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Thanks Kandscreeley, Sarah and Reign for this interview. I really loved the story because it portraited the emotions I experienced, while I was at that age especially in the direction of anger and the author did true justice with his wording.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Nice interview. I have read opaque and was really impressed by her writing and choice of characters.

Return to “Author Interviews”