Official Review: The Search for the King's Staff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: The Search for the King's Staff

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Search for the King's Staff" by Sophia Davidson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"To make matters worse, I was pretty sure I had fleas now. That was the last time I’d ever pet a monkey."

The life of the chosen one is not always glamorous. Cierra has known since she was five years old that she would one day embark on a quest to save the realms. As Keeper of the Key, she is the only one who can open the portals to the spirit realm, retrieve the pieces of the map to the King’s Staff, and recover the mighty scepter that can prevent the darkness from entering the realm of man. With the magic of the key, she has abundant power backing her mission, but only if she can learn to control the magic without destroying everything around her. With enemies ready to kill or capture her to prevent the recovery of the staff, will Cierra have the courage to continue the quest with all the odds against her?

The Search for the King’s Staff is the first novel in Sophia Davidson’s fantasy adventure series. The book provides the groundwork for Cierra’s character, and the reader comes to know and love her before her quest begins. She is tiny, but tough, fierce, and always ready to compete with her cousin in their ongoing sibling-like rivalry.

The author provides a solid foundation for the world that Cierra lives in as well as the nature of the quest, a little insight into the magic, and even some of the cultural traditions of Asrial. Davidson also did an excellent job of making Cierra very realistic. Unlike other chosen heroes, who instantly know the secrets of their magic or have perfect control, Cierra makes mistakes and doesn’t move on from combat unscathed. Early in the book, she experiences a traumatic event that continues to haunt her thoughts as the quest continues. Part of her journey becomes an emotional process of overcoming her fear and the PTSD-like symptoms that plague her. Cierra seemed more realistic to me because she didn’t simply walk away like she was invincible, and later had to come to a point where she trusted others for help.

There was nothing in particular that I disliked about the plot of the story, and I eagerly look forward to the next book in the series. Though I noticed less than ten errors throughout the 31 chapters of the book, I did stumble across a few awkwardly chosen synonyms, but I did not find them distracting enough to take off a full star. Therefore, a gladly give 4 out of 4 stars to The Search for the King’s Staff.

With action violence, magic use, and dragons of various species, this book is sure to appeal to fantasy readers of all ages. There were fantasy curses like “Vipen’s spawn!” used in place of profanities and no sexual content whatsoever. As the first of a proposed five- to six-book series, this book established a well-written plot with a lot of room for more character growth and adventure in the future books.

The Search for the King's Staff
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

The book seems to have a good plot and would be enjoyable. Nice review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I love fantasy books, and finding stories where the protagonist has flaws and actually develops throughout the plot is not always an easy task. Thank you for your review, it certainly caught my attention.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems the beginning of a fantasy saga with a high potential for its plot and complex characters. I'll keep an eye on this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Ahhahaha! What a great, attention-grabbing opening! Is this suitable for mid-teens? It sounds like a really fun, well-written book. Thanks for your review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Cierra, keeper of the keys...
Her quest sound really intriguing.
I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.
Thanks for the review
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Look like very interesting book. Thak you for great review!
Erin Dydek
Currently Reading:

Post by Erin Dydek »

damis wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 07:08 I love fantasy books, and finding stories where the protagonist has flaws and actually develops throughout the plot is not always an easy task. Thank you for your review, it certainly caught my attention.
NetMassimo wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 10:38 This seems the beginning of a fantasy saga with a high potential for its plot and complex characters. I'll keep an eye on this series. Thank you for your great review!
Miraphery wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 05:05 The book seems to have a good plot and would be enjoyable. Nice review.
Thank you all for your kind words! I hope you have a chance to check out the series and enjoy the book!
Erin Dydek
Currently Reading:

Post by Erin Dydek »

Laura Lee wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 19:09 Ahhahaha! What a great, attention-grabbing opening! Is this suitable for mid-teens? It sounds like a really fun, well-written book. Thanks for your review!
Haha thank you! I thought I'd try something a little different with this review. And, yes, I think mid-teens would enjoy this. I can't think of anything other than some fighting scenes (martial arts and powerful magic), but they are not that different from something you would see in Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, or Lord of the Rings.
Erin Dydek
Currently Reading:

Post by Erin Dydek »

SunVixen wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 04:34 Look like very interesting book. Thak you for great review!
Dannyphery wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 20:17 Cierra, keeper of the keys...
Her quest sound really intriguing.
I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.
Thanks for the review
Cierra's journey is just beginning and it seems like there are many great things to come! Thanks for your comments!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

The book seems really appealing, and I already feel attached to Cierra. I appreciate the author for making her realistic. Thanks for the great review!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Realms and keys, magic and monkeys?! That first quote legitimately had me laughing out loud, so thank you for the flea-ridden forewarning. Sounds like this was a good one, and I'm gonna start using some fantasy curses like "Vipen's spawn" the next time some tricky moment calls for it! Lovely review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I sure hope she DOESN'T have fleas. :) This sounds like a fun book with a dose of humor thrown in, which would be perfect for me. I'm always on the lookout for books to add to my list! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a fascinating fantasy series. It sounds like the author has a wonderful ability to bring his world to life. Thanks for the well-written and interesting review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love fantasy. They let me to escape from this everyday world and travel into a whole new one. Thanks for the detailed review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”