Official Review: The Invisible Stroke by Veronica Woods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: The Invisible Stroke by Veronica Woods

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Invisible Stroke" by Veronica Woods.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Stroke is a serious, overwhelming, and life-changing event” that can dramatically alter your personal and professional life. In her book, Veronica Woods gives the readers a personal account of how this disease made her life painful and stressful. Her career as a general practitioner (GP) at the National Health Service for the past 22 years was about to change, and there was nothing much she could do to alter the situation. The stroke came without warning and mercilessly shifted her status from doctor to patient. The Invisible Stroke highlights how this medical condition can have a major impact on every aspect of a person’s being.

Four months after experiencing a brain hemorrhage, the MRI scans reveal yet another shocking finding about Veronica’s neurological health. The frontal and parietal regions of her brain were slowly shutting down due to the ischemic changes caused by the stroke. And since the frontal lobe is the center of cognition, damage to this area can lead to impulsive traits that may manifest as criminal behavior. She is forced to go through the excruciating pain of brain surgery and the risks that come with it. A long recovery process and changes in her personality await her. Moreover, she is troubled by thoughts about the loss of her career and marriage.

Reading about the author’s struggles, I could better understand how difficult it is for stroke survivors to cope with social norms after the tormenting ordeal. Woods’s writing skillfully expresses the behavior changes and the life modifications required that are psychologically draining for both patient and family. This non-fiction book gave me the chance to vicariously experience her personal story and also to learn some basic information about strokes. Post-stroke patients often suffer from several limitations, so the home has to be redesigned to suit the victim’s recovery process. For instance, smart devices may be installed in certain sections of the house to monitor personal safety. The author has emphasized various treatment solutions, such as regular exercise, cognitive behavioral therapy, and other psychological treatments that can help stroke patients recover faster.

I would recommend this read to stroke survivors, caregivers, and general health practitioners. Friends and family members of stroke victims can gain a better understanding of their loved one’s experience, thus enabling them to be in a better position to help.

There were only two minor aspects that I liked least. The “Racism in Psychiatry” chapter seemed underdeveloped and somewhat out of place. Secondly, due to the lack of a signature and the mixed point of view from third to the first person, I couldn’t quite discern who wrote the foreword. However, I consider that these slight hiccups were not substantial enough issues to affect the book’s perfect score.

The editing seemed flawless as I did not notice any errors. Plus, co-author Stephen Waititu Kamau’s deft organizational skills made this book extremely easy to read. As such, I am giving The Invisible Stroke 4 out of 4-stars for its informative material and inspiring story.

The Invisible Stroke
View: on Bookshelves
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

This review gives me the feeling that the author did go through intense pain and difficulty during the time she was ill. I feel bad for all stroke victims and I hope this book will be of great help to them. Thanks for reviewing!
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Most people have a vague idea about stroke and what it entails. I always concentrated on what the disease was about and not on how life is for the person after suffering it. You did a great job reviewing the book. Thank you for your review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Does the author's linguistic techniques evoke empathy like your review did? If yes, then I'll read this book.
Great review!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Stroke is a devastating incident for anyone who goes through it as well as for the family members. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like an amazing book that gives us better insight and understanding of stroke survivors. As a health practitioner, I'm even more intrested to read this book. Thanks for the great review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 16:15 This review gives me the feeling that the author did go through intense pain and difficulty during the time she was ill. I feel bad for all stroke victims and I hope this book will be of great help to them. Thanks for reviewing!
Yes, the author shares her struggles with the stroke's outcome. Thanks for your sympathetic comment, Cynthia!
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

khaulah wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 20:15 Most people have a vague idea about stroke and what it entails. I always concentrated on what the disease was about and not on how life is for the person after suffering it. You did a great job reviewing the book. Thank you for your review!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, khaulah! My view was exactly the reverse of yours - I witness the consequence of a stroke, but I knew close to nothing regarding what this attack involved and how it functions.
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 22:45 Does the author's linguistic techniques evoke empathy like your review did? If yes, then I'll read this book.
Great review!
Thank you, Kanda! I would say is split between the warmth of her personal experience and the medical information about stroke with professional influences.
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 20:07 Stroke is a devastating incident for anyone who goes through it as well as for the family members. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 👍👍
Thanks for taking the time to read my review, Sushan!
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 04:15 This seems like an amazing book that gives us better insight and understanding of stroke survivors. As a health practitioner, I'm even more intrested to read this book. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for your kind words, SomeoneInTheWorld! If you have a chance to read it, please do come back and share your thoughts. I would love to hear a health practitioner's opinion.
~Tayma Tameem
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

One of my relatives was a victim of stroke. Most times we find it hard to know how exactly we could help alleviate the pain he went through, therefore I can totally relate with the author. It's a good thing that she thought it wise to tell us her own side of the story and how she survived.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

praise+anyi wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 16:14 One of my relatives was a victim of a stroke. Most times we find it hard to know how exactly we could help alleviate the pain he went through, therefore I can totally relate with the author. It's a good thing that she thought it wise to tell us her own side of the story and how she survived.
I know what you mean as I also had a member family who suffered a stroke, and yes, if I knew what I know now most probably the recovery process would have been easier.
~Tayma Tameem
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Stroke is truly invisible thus unplanned for. The recovery heavily impacts both the patient and the caregiver/family. I like that the book gives more insight on the recovery process.

Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I might give this book a try. While I haven't experienced this with anyone close to me, I still think it is a good resource. Thank you for your review.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”