Official Review: STAZR The World Of Z: The Dawn Of Athir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: STAZR The World Of Z: The Dawn Of Athir

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "STAZR The World Of Z: The Dawn Of Athir" by Dr. Anay Ayarovu.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reminiscent of classical fairy tales, STAZR The World Of Z: The Dawn Of Athir by Dr. Anay Ayarovu is an exceptionally imaginative story that takes place on Stazr, a planet suffused by magical dust. Upon learning about his heroic destiny, an introspective writer named Lael must venture further out into the world than he ever has before, with the aim of opening the Stazr Gates to allow travel to other worlds.

Right away, I was struck by how vivid and unusual this book's world was. From dust volcanoes to giant trees, there are fascinating environments that feel lived-in and well-developed, with plenty of mystery and otherworldly flavor. The characters' culture is just as intriguing, with a highly stratified class system and language dialects that are easily distinguishable but still readable. There are a handful of made-up words that further flesh out the book's language, and there are always footnotes defining them, so readers won't be confused if they forget a term or two.

Lael himself is a very engaging protagonist. His sheltered but well-read upbringing gives him a unique view of life, and this also means that he's often judgemental. It's fun to watch him discover the world he's only really read about, though, and he's empathetic enough that his lack of social experience usually doesn't make him hard to like. The supporting characters are just as colorful, too, and even Lael's allies' goals often oppose his own, leading to interesting conflicts.

I have to say, though, the story is much darker than I initially expected. For example, Lael outright kills someone to accomplish his goals, and the problem of racial inequality is portrayed very starkly, with "lower" races literally being harvested for their body parts. For the most part, I rather liked the gritty edge this provided, though some parts were just unnecessary, like when a monster inexplicably stops mauling a woman to force its genitals into her face. It should go without saying, but despite its seemingly whimsical premise, this is not a book for children.

Overall, despite a few issues, I still rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The problems I found were quite minor, and the imaginative worldbuilding and character design make it truly unique. The writing is also well-edited; I was only able to find a few errors. I'd recommend it to adult readers who like books with esoteric alien and fantasy worlds. Fans of well-developed fictional cultures will also find something to enjoy here, as long as they aren't too squeamish.

STAZR The World Of Z: The Dawn Of Athir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Your review has said it all, "this is not a book for children". This book must really be a dark one! Thanks for reviewing.
Aquilis
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aquilis.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Aquilis »

Certainly sounds interesting! I do like a story with a depth of world building, will have to check it out.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a great novel judging from your remarks about the worldbuilding and characters. It's quite crude in some moments, but overall something I'd like to read. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

This book really has a dark theme. I shuddered when you talked about some races that were harvested for their body parts. Wow! Meanwhile it's seems interesting and I'll love to check it out.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”