Official Review: The Daughters of the Dove by M. G. Hall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: The Daughters of the Dove by M. G. Hall

Post by T_stone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Daughters of the Dove" by M. G. Hall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Daughters Of The Dove: The Last Generation is the first book in a three-book sci-fi fantasy series by M. G. Hall. It's a book that blends fantasy with Christianity. The story is told by a woman who survived years of grand trials between 2029AD and 2036AD. This fictional memoir is divided into three sections: “Innocent,” “Awakening,” and “Dark And Light.” The scenes move into the future of human existence through time, revealing the dark mysteries of past SyFy, the termed used for “events” in this book. It's quite a lengthy book with 516 pages.

Miriam first met Joshua Dylan after a soccer game when they were both 12 years old, following an attack by a strange tall man on Joshua's mum, Martha. With a supernatural fast run, Joshua helped saved his mother by knocking out her attacker. That was the first of many supernatural things Miriam would notice about Joshua. While Miriam was the only child of her parents, Joshua–the first child of his parents, Don and Martha–had three siblings: Mary, Mart, and Phoebe. When Phoebe was three months old, Sarah, Martha's mother, revealed a family secret about strange abilities the seventh-generation female child will inherit as prophesied in the Family Diaries. As Joshua and Phoebe grew older, their special abilities couldn't remain a secret anymore, which got the attention of AZ (Adonti Zedek), the Archbishop of Satan, and his mother, Hatshep, the high priestess of the underworld, who ruled on Earth from the Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut in Egypt around 1500BC.

The author spins a creative narrative by revolving the story around the End Times as recorded in the Scriptures. I like his ability to balance scientific and medical advances with the more abstract concepts of supernatural beings and dark mystery. I also appreciate that the book is well-researched as it contains in-depth information regarding the stages of childbirth. The author’s description of scenes and events are vivid. Readers who love the first installment of the series will be eager to check out future sequels.

The characterization of this book is admirable. Sarah and her granddaughter, Phoebe, are peaceful, prayerful, and confident, which added to the book's plot. Joshua’s accomplishments include the development of a DNA synthesis process (The Active Nanobots Technology), a mind-controlling virus AZ wishes to lay his hands on to make Hatshep immortal, and for other selfish reasons. In addition, Miriam portrays a supportive figure for Josh and Phoebe. I also like how she was willing to share the pain, the joy, and the secrets of her friends.

This story traverses themes like love, hope, and faith. There’s nothing I disliked about this book. Although it's a long read, it's fast-paced and very enjoyable with an unpredictable plot. It contains only one instance of profanity and just a few intimate scenes. However, I found the numerous characters a challenge initially, but once I got immersed in the book, I got used to it.

I'm glad to rate The Daughters Of The Dove: The Last Generation four out of four stars. I recommend it primarily to Christian readers, but fantasy and sci-fi lovers may find it appealing. It is professionally edited and well-written as I noticed no errors in it.

The Daughters of the Dove
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I am captivated by books that mix christianity with fantasy. I Also appreciate that the book is error-free, which is why I'll add it to my shelf.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I have not read a book combining Christianity with fantasy so this would be the first. I love that the family here share their joy and challenges. What a wonderful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel might not be for me if it's heavily Christian-oriented, but it seems well developed, so I'll keep an eye on this series. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I am not a fan of science fiction and this book is christian-oriented. So I will pass this one. Anyway, your review was great!
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

With all you've said I'm already in for a read. The theme of this captivating thriller is truly inspiring. I hope to find out more on what happened to Joshua, Phoebe and the other characters.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The mixture of people of faith with supernatural abilities seems like an interesting concept. There would be a strong temptation to misuse these powers. You have written an interesting review that makes this seem like an intriguing series. Thanks for the recommendation!
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 21:46 I am captivated by books that mix christianity with fantasy. I Also appreciate that the book is error-free, which is why I'll add it to my shelf.
I appreciate your comment. Thank you.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Miraphery wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 00:49 I have not read a book combining Christianity with fantasy so this would be the first. I love that the family here share their joy and challenges. What a wonderful review.
Thanks for the comment. :tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Salma_asa wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 11:12 I am not a fan of science fiction and this book is christian-oriented. So I will pass this one. Anyway, your review was great!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. :tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

praise+anyi wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 17:28 With all you've said I'm already in for a read. The theme of this captivating thriller is truly inspiring. I hope to find out more on what happened to Joshua, Phoebe and the other characters.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the thrills.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

kdstrack wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 08:02 The mixture of people of faith with supernatural abilities seems like an interesting concept. There would be a strong temptation to misuse these powers. You have written an interesting review that makes this seem like an intriguing series. Thanks for the recommendation!
I appreciate your comment. Thanks
Dav987
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dav987 »

It's quite a capturing story along with the theme, i'm already in for it. Also more curious to see how deep it goes on the bibical aspect.
T_stone
Currently Reading:

Post by T_stone »

Dav987 wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 09:14 It's quite a capturing story along with the theme, i'm already in for it. Also more curious to see how deep it goes on the bibical aspect.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Thanks for your comment.
Nafreezy
Currently Reading: HBR Guide to Project Management
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nafreezy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nafreezy »

I'm looking forward to enjoying my first of christian-fantasy books.
Thanks for a captivating review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”