Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by gali »

Mandy32345 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 14:47 •1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?

epub

2. What device are using to try to open it?

My laptop

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?

No

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

I went into MS Word to try and find it.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

I would like to read this on my computer where I would think the print would be larger.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?

I did not receive an error message.

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.

The only selections were epub or mobi. I would like to read this on my computer.
You can try to convert it to PDF via the free Calibre App. It may enable you to read it on your PC.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
cheletta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheletta.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by cheletta »

1. PDF document
2. Chromebook
3. Yes
4. Highlight the file and then select open
5. File is opened
Only shows page 1/1
3.3 MB PDF document
gali

Post by gali »

cheletta wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 08:38 1. PDF document
2. Chromebook
3. Yes
5. File is opened
Only shows page 1/1
3.3 MB PDF document
You should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Maryah Kamau
Favorite Book: Fix
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryah-kamau.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by Maryah Kamau »

1. epub
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I tried downloading Barnes and Noble but the app isn't available in my country, i also tried kindle app but still couldn't open.
5. I was able to download it but it couldn't open because there is no app to open the file.
6. Yes. No application is available to open this file.
7. Barnes and noble and kindle app.
gali

Post by gali »

Maryah Kamau wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 15:58 1. epub
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I tried downloading Barnes and Noble but the app isn't available in my country, i also tried kindle app but still couldn't open.
5. I was able to download it but it couldn't open because there is no app to open the file.
6. Yes. No application is available to open this file.
7. Barnes and noble and kindle app.
You need to convert the file to MOBI via the free Calibre App to read it on kindle. If it doesn't work, you will have to quit the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Kem 5
Currently Reading: The Presence of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kem 5 »

1. PDF
2 . Kindle of Android
3 . Yes
4 . download the file then click on the complete downloaded file, it opens automatically but this book is showing can open file.
gali

Post by gali »

Kem 5 wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 03:52 1. PDF
2 . Kindle of Android
3 . Yes
4 . download the file then click on the complete downloaded file, it opens automatically but this book is showing can open file.
You need to convert it to Mobi.
A retired Admin/Mod

cheletta
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheletta.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by cheletta »

gali wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 08:42
cheletta wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 08:38 1. PDF document
2. Chromebook
3. Yes
5. File is opened
Only shows page 1/1
3.3 MB PDF document
Thank you for the reply. I apologize for not responding sooner, still trying to figure things out here. :)
teresamarie574

Post by teresamarie574 »

1. In what file format is the ebook? EPUB

2. What device are using to try to open it? iPhone

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? Not that I am aware of. I’m fairly new to this.

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file. I went through all the instructions, the recommended download format, hit download and it downloaded to Dropbox, but only the first page. I also downloaded the Barnes and Noble app, which I thought would be able to open the download but maybe I read it wrong? I also have a Samsung tablet and Amazon tablet I could try, if they have had better results.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type? I’ve never opened this type of file before, that I am aware of.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message? No.

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps. Yes. I tried the Barnes and Noble app.
Kem 5
Currently Reading: The Presence of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kem 5 »

1.Mobi

2.infinix smartphone

3.Yes

4.i have never opened a file in the mobi format on this device because the first time I downloaded the e-book from here but it failed to which is the same case with this second time after downloading another e-book from the same site for review and they don't open on my phone.

But other files I downloaded from other sites do open .

Plz help me out.
gali

Post by gali »

teresamarie574 wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:54 1. In what file format is the ebook? EPUB

2. What device are using to try to open it? iPhone

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? Not that I am aware of. I’m fairly new to this.

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file. I went through all the instructions, the recommended download format, hit download and it downloaded to Dropbox, but only the first page. I also downloaded the Barnes and Noble app, which I thought would be able to open the download but maybe I read it wrong? I also have a Samsung tablet and Amazon tablet I could try, if they have had better results.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type? I’ve never opened this type of file before, that I am aware of.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message? No.

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps. Yes. I tried the Barnes and Noble app.
You should be able to read it on Barnes and Noble app. If it doesn't open, you should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

Kem 5 wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 02:44 1.Mobi

2.infinix smartphone

3.Yes

4.i have never opened a file in the mobi format on this device because the first time I downloaded the e-book from here but it failed to which is the same case with this second time after downloading another e-book from the same site for review and they don't open on my phone.

But other files I downloaded from other sites do open .

Plz help me out.
You need to download the Kindle app to be able to read it.
A retired Admin/Mod

srna807

Post by srna807 »

1. PDF
2. Computer
3. Yes I have opened PDF's consistently on this device, however, this is the first review I am performing.
4. I usually just have to open the downloaded file. All that shows is the book cover, nothing else. I even downloaded the Kindle App.
5. I run into trouble with this PDF only not others. Like I said above, there is only 1 page in the entire download and that is the cover page.
6. No
7. Yes, I tried the Kindle App
gali

Post by gali »

srna807 wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 12:19 1. PDF
2. Computer
3. Yes I have opened PDF's consistently on this device, however, this is the first review I am performing.
4. I usually just have to open the downloaded file. All that shows is the book cover, nothing else. I even downloaded the Kindle App.
5. I run into trouble with this PDF only not others. Like I said above, there is only 1 page in the entire download and that is the cover page.
6. No
A retired Admin/Mod

ananya_rukku

Post by ananya_rukku »

1. PDF
2. Computer
6. No

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”