Official Review: Gone Too Far by Carter Hill

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Gone Too Far by Carter Hill

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gone Too Far" by Carter Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randi has decided to break up with her boyfriend, Major Gregory Pizanno, because she has discovered he has a fiancée. However, he gets in a car accident and is critically injured. Gregory requests that she come to see him and informs her that someone tried to kill him. He pleads with her not to trust anyone and to keep “it” safe. He then falls asleep due to pain medications. Having no idea what he was talking about and puzzled, she goes home. Weirdly, a man Randi noticed outside Gregory’s hospital room follows her out to the parking lot. Later that night, someone tries to break into her home, setting off her alarm, which startles him away. However, when viewing her home security system with the police, they notice there is an unusual tattoo on the man’s wrist. She soon finds out that Gregory died, evidently from a drug overdose.

Randi volunteers at a homeless shelter. While she is hauling the garbage out, someone tries to kidnap her. She gets away but notices he has the same tattoo on his wrist.

Frightened and convinced that this is no coincidence and probably has something to do with Gregory's death, Randi tries to reach her brother, who is a Delta Force soldier. However, he has been deployed to Afghanistan, so his friend Logan, also a Delta Force soldier, comes to her aid. Unknown to Randi, Logan has secretly been in love with her for years. When he shows up, sparks fly between them, and it doesn’t take long for her to start falling for him. However, someone is determined to kidnap Randi. Can Logan keep her safe?

Gone Too Far by Carter Hill is equally spicy romance and a nail-biting thriller. This is the first book in the Saving America series. The story starts with a prologue in which the reader experiences what it is like to be an elite Delta Force soldier on a mission in Afghanistan. Then, we meet Randi and learn about her ex-boyfriend. Next, we jump right into the mystery with someone trying to break into her house and the attempt to kidnap Randi later at the homeless shelter. The plot is intriguing, the writing is descriptive, and the action is very suspenseful. The plot is written in a linear time fashion with all but one of the salient questions answered by the end. I’m not certain if that question will be answered in the second book. However, in spite of that, the plot was my favorite aspect of the book.

The characters in the story are well developed. One of the things I loved about the author’s writing is when something happened and the characters responded in a questionable way, their reasons were explained. I didn’t merely scratch my head in puzzlement. Randi is an artist but has been taught basic ways to protect herself by her brother and her uncle. She can be stubborn. She has a sixth sense that can sometimes warn her when something is amiss. Instead of just depending on Logan to keep her from harm, I do wish she had played a bigger role in her own safety. Logan is strong and heroic; however, he is easily frightened when it comes to Randi and can act irrationally. Their attraction feels electric. There are numerous explicit, steamy sex scenes. Readers who don’t enjoy erotica might want to bypass this book. Honestly, it was a little too frequent for my taste, and there were times when I wished we could get on with the plot. However, others may appreciate that.

Regrettably, I discovered too many grammatical, punctuation, and formatting errors in the story. It could use a professional editor. This was my least favorite aspect of the book.

Because I love the suspense and the character development in the story, Gone Too Far achieves a rating of three out of four stars. One star is taken away due to the errors. Because of the explicit sex scenes and some profanity, this is recommended for those 18 years old and older. I heartily recommend it to readers who enjoy mysteries, thrillers, and graphic sex scenes.

Gone Too Far
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Despite the grammatical errors, I love the mystery you've presented. I'm intrigued, and I'm ready to pick it up! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The book appears to hold a promising plot line, coupled up with the actions present in the book.
I enjoyed your review.💫
Bet on Me! :idea:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 19:10 Despite the grammatical errors, I love the mystery you've presented. I'm intrigued, and I'm ready to pick it up! Thanks.
I think you will enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 06:12 The book appears to hold a promising plot line, coupled up with the actions present in the book.
I enjoyed your review.💫
Thanks so much for your kind comments! I hope you get a chance to read it.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It's too bad about the poor editing, but this sounds like an intriguing combination of thriller and romance that should appeal to fans of page-turners. Thanks for the review!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I was quite intrigued by your review! This one sounds like a book that has a lot to offer in terms of both character and plot development. Great work!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tomah wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 13:43 It's too bad about the poor editing, but this sounds like an intriguing combination of thriller and romance that should appeal to fans of page-turners. Thanks for the review!
It should indeed! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

espo wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 05:21 I was quite intrigued by your review! This one sounds like a book that has a lot to offer in terms of both character and plot development. Great work!
Yes, it does! I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for the comments!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

The storyline of this book sounds great. Also with well-developed characters, it seems like a great read despite the shortcomings you indictaed. Thanks.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

This sounds like an exciting start to a new series. I love mystery and suspense and despite the romance being a bit of a distraction from the main plot, the story is very intriguing! The Delta Force experience sounds awesome! Great review!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Homeless shelters, attempted kidnappings, developing intrigue, AND mysterious tattoos?! What a fascinating collection of adrenaline-spiked themes. Lovely review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

What a suspenseful review summary. Randi's story sounds intriguing and thrilling too. Will Logan protect her from her enemies? I would love to read the book and find out. Lovely review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nkoo wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 08:38 The storyline of this book sounds great. Also with well-developed characters, it seems like a great read despite the shortcomings you indictaed. Thanks.
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 08:46 This sounds like an exciting start to a new series. I love mystery and suspense and despite the romance being a bit of a distraction from the main plot, the story is very intriguing! The Delta Force experience sounds awesome! Great review!
Thanks so much for the kind comments! I hope you get a chance to read it!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”