Fanfiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Re: Fanfiction

Post by Helga_ »

Oh I have read fanfiction. There was def. a time period when I realized its addictive nature :techie-studyinggray:
I had a good time, ain't no shame about it :D
Being a fan itself involves writing a chapter or two in your mind, if not an entire story, right? :mrgreen: I'm thankful to the authors for verbalizing some of the fantasies on behalf of other fans :)
Well, one thing for sure, I'd prefer "adult contemporary" fanfic writers. (if there's a term like this). Teenagers' writing would be cute and fun enough to peep through, but...I wouldn't be able to keep on reading.

P.S. Come to think of it, I haven't read any for years!
(This thread is making me go right ahead and look for some lol)
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

During the last decade for some time I wrote some Buffy and Angel fanfiction even if I was in my 30s. Nothing erotic because they weren't about my erotic fantasies, I just felt a sort of need to continue the story after those shows ended. Later some comics were published so I lost interest in writing more of them. I did it for fun, I never thought I was writing great literature, probably reading them again today I might wonder why I published them on the Internet and be grateful that probably now no one will find them. :mrgreen:
Ciao :)
Massimo
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I think of fanfiction as the wish-fulfillment genre. Reading and writing it is fun because you already know and love the characters, and it allows you to explore different scenarios that are incredibly unlikely (or impossible, if it's about fictional characters). I think fanfiction is good practice for beginner writers, but probably not where you should look if you're a serious reader. In the end, it's just a bit of fun and wild imagination (sometimes closure, especially with shows and series).
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I am not into them at all. I did try reading a few back in high school but I couldn't get into them.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

It really depends on the quality, just like normal books. Many books are considered fanfictions out there, aside from those submitted online. Myths and folklores, famous words like Sherlock Holmes and Alice in Wonderland also have many "re-interpreted" versions out there.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

People say fanfiction is a hit or miss, and that's certainly true! It's not curated the way traditionally published books tend to be, because anyone is free to post them. I've read really good fanfictions, though, and I believe those authors do deserve to be called authors because they take their craft just as seriously. It's derivative and therefore it cannot be sold without reinvention, though, and I would like to see less fanfictions published traditionally. It takes something out of the reading experience, as fanfiction has its own brand of charm that doesn't translate if the author distorts it to make sure they don't get sued.
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

Oh. I like fanfiction. For me, it's a world of its own with its own language. Some fanfics are definitely wish fulfillment (and unrestrained writer self-inserts), but there are also those that are amazingly written with good grasp or even a different view of the characters. And, yes, it is often a romance.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

I think of it as my guilty pleasure. I think due to the vast quantity of readily available fanfiction online, the genre has earned itself an unfair reputation of being low-quality, self-insert fantasies, BUT. I always keep in mind that the writers created the fanfics out of love for the original content / person, and there have been a few fanfics that, personally, I thought were exceptionally written.

I think of fanfic as its own "classification" of book that can have any other genre (ie. fantasy, romance, mystery, horror), and I have read some fics that I've really enjoyed.
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

leximutia wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 20:21 I think of it as my guilty pleasure. I think due to the vast quantity of readily available fanfiction online, the genre has earned itself an unfair reputation of being low-quality, self-insert fantasies, BUT. I always keep in mind that the writers created the fanfics out of love for the original content / person, and there have been a few fanfics that, personally, I thought were exceptionally written.

I think of fanfic as its own "classification" of book that can have any other genre (ie. fantasy, romance, mystery, horror), and I have read some fics that I've really enjoyed.
True! There are some that I even wanted to be canon.
What do you read? :D I mean, your fandom and fanfics?
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Ms Vinkel wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 09:31
leximutia wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 20:21 I think of it as my guilty pleasure. I think due to the vast quantity of readily available fanfiction online, the genre has earned itself an unfair reputation of being low-quality, self-insert fantasies, BUT. I always keep in mind that the writers created the fanfics out of love for the original content / person, and there have been a few fanfics that, personally, I thought were exceptionally written.

True! There are some that I even wanted to be canon.
What do you read? :D I mean, your fandom and fanfics?
Well, there are a lot for sure! Haha

I've gotten into fanfiction mostly from videogames (ie. Undertale, Detroit Become Human, Some obscure Japanese visual novels) and some animes / mangas. I've even given writing fanfiction a shot, but out of embarrassment, I usually don't let other people know what fanfics I like/read/write. And I stay anonymous (or under some pseudonym) whenever posting anything.

How about your fandoms and fanfics? :)
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

I've read more fanfaction than I have regular books in the last few years. Fanfictions have simply been more convenient for me to read because they're usually shorter and easier to jump into because you already know the characters. Not to mention they're very easy to access.

There's certainly plenty of poor quality facfiction, but there are also many fics I've read that are better written than most novels. The nice thing about fanfiction is that you can easily bypass any fics that seem poorly written or that don't seem to your taste, whereas there's much more of an obligation to read a book if you've actually bought it. I'm so appreciative to all fanfiction writers because they allow me to read such great stories for free.

Most fanfictions I read are spinoffs of shows that I enjoy, though recently I have also begun reading some about comic book characters. Some fics I read are wish-fulfillment and more lighthearted alternate realities, but many are just as (or more) tragic than the original story was. In general, I look for stories about characters that I really enjoyed within the show. And yes, sometimes this includes fics about couples that never become canon who I just wish would get together.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I've been reading fanfiction since middle school and I have found some fantastic stories. Some have even been in a complete alternate universe with the characters acting differently than they do in the original stories. It makes me wonder why the writers choose to write fanfiction and not their own original stories. I think it has to do with there being a bigger platform for fanfiction than for originals and anyone can publish it.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

I have not read fanfiction in years! When I tried it, I had trouble finding any that were well written. I've been spoiled by amazing authors who have exceptional writing abilities and limitless creativity. I suppose I could give it a try sometime, however I am a bit hesitant due to past experience.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I agree, a lot of fanfiction seems to be ramblings of teenage fans. They quite often take an erotic direction due to crushes on characters, which break character to fulfil fantasties. These fanfics, I can't support. Some are worth the exception.

If you look at comic books, you could argue that nothing is canon. Every artist or writer passing through has their own interpretation. Such is the same with TV. A show gets a contract, screenwriters and directors come on for 1 or 2 episodes. The important thing is to stay true to the characters. If you betray what's already there, then it doesn't go down well.

I am planning to write some fanfic myself. I've never done it before because it felt wrong. In this case, I felt something had to be done about the Alien movies. The 3rd and 4th films were terrible. I want to roll it back and give Aliens a sequel it deserved.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”