Book Review Vs Proofreading Vs Editing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.

Book Review Vs Proofreading Vs Editing

Book Review
56%
Proofreading
28%
Editing
16%

Total votes: 25

Balazon2000
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Awaken You Wonderful We
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Re: Book Review Vs Proofreading Vs Editing

Post by Balazon2000 »

What are some resources to look into to get higher rated reviews? Always thought I was pretty good at this kind of thing but guess not. I don't want to give up but also want to get better.
raylenejanice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raylenejanice.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by raylenejanice »

I'm definitely enjoying reviewing better than editing and proofreading. My editing and proofreading skills seem to have diminished with age, but my opinions seem to have sharpened with age. :D
davidvan1973
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by davidvan1973 »

It's not a choice for me. Definitely reviewing. And that's if I get a choice. If the choice is made for me then it would still be reviewing. I'm terrible at proof reading and editing. Just ask the editors that have looked at my writings. Lol
Bookgirl91
Favorite Author: Gregory Maguire
Currently Reading: Kill Creek
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3091

Post by Bookgirl91 »

I'm currently trying to start a freelance proofreading business, so of course, I chose proofreading. I think all 3 are incredibly important mediums with their own purpose. However, I hear so many people say they don't need proofreaders which is disheartening.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I like editing. I have read lot of books that had the potential to be great books but could not because of bad editing. I wish I had edited those books so that they could be liked and read by all.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Book review. You get to have a voice about the book. You can get constructive criticism across on your own words. Proofreading can be very tricky because you have to take into account specific writing styles or regional elements. Editing, as far as I can see, is probably the easiest one.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!

Return to “Writing Discussion”