Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Post by Gemma_15 »

I think immortality would be terrible. While the initial ideas of not having to fear death or not having the time to enjoy your life to the fullest would be exciting, I don't think the losses and pain would be worth it. You could never get close to another person, since they would die and you would have to deal with their loss. What would be the point in living forever if you couldn't create lasting and memorable relationships? I know some people would be able to deal with that, but I just couldn't. It would be cool to see all of the many changes in the world through the years, but I don't think the repetitiveness of history would be that great in the long run.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I don't think immortality is a good thing because I believe that it eventually corrupts the soul. Having a limitless amount of time, let's one believe that you are invincible and that you can basically do whatever you want. Possibly some people would not be corrupted by this power, but I think it unlikely.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

This is a difficult question. From fastidiously religious Hindus, there is not much choice there. The soul is believed to be immortal whether one wants it to be or not. But if religion was kept aside, I wouldn't want to roam this planet for ever.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

I think it depends from person to person. For some, it might be good as I see it is in a way that if I were immortal, I would be able to research more about the earth and the universe. As if there was someone who was immortal since the starting of the earth then we would know how did this all began and what is the truth behind religions as well as God.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

You know, sometimes when I see the homeless elders wandering on the street, I find myself wondering why they must cling to life? They have no home, no money, no family or friends who would care for them. They're too old to think of an aim like a job or earning cash. They don't seem happy or healthy either, just drag on aimlessly. In that state, is immortal a gift or a curse?
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

The concept of being an immortal is an interesting one. You would basically have all the time in the world to do anything you like. Just endless amounts of knowledge just waiting to be unlocked. However, I've read and watched enough stories to tell anyone that immortality isn't worth any kind of knowledge or really anything at all. To never die as you watch as everyone you love passes away due to age is something I never want to have to experience over all kinds of lifetimes.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Like anything else, if in the hands of a good person, immortality can be good. Immortality itself is neutral.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Wasif Ahmed wrote: 02 Feb 2017, 03:52 The posts on this forum show that many people would like to become immortal while some don't. Is immortality, according to you, a good or a bad thing?
Please share your thoughts on this topic.
This is a hard question to answer because deep down, we all, or the majority of us would want to live forever but in another way, if we do. We lack the value life gives to us. Time, emotions become irrelevant over time.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

Quit a difficult question , anyways i feel like it depends on if every one else is immortal so u don't have to watch your friends and loved once passing away and leaving you behind. Is going to be really truamatizing .
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I think a an immortality-compatible world run on entirely different set of rules would be needed for immortality to fun, otherwise, if people are not dying its gonna be a huge disaster.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”