Official Review: Fyra by Sunny Nicolette

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Fyra by Sunny Nicolette

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fyra" by Sunny Nicolette.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would life be like 175 years from now with an evil entity threatening to rule the world? Sunny Nicolette has her version of a possible answer to that question in her young adult fantasy novel, Fyra: Welcome to the Mutiny.

Reed Stryker, a 19-year-old, whose mother and father are both gone from his life, finds himself in a terrible situation. His Uncle Boris treats Reed and his brother Boone worse than animals. Having to make ends meet and not inheriting their father’s land make Reed very angry. He has a truck accident, ends up in a coma, and wakes up to the future in another body. Everything seems to be tied to a special object that gives mental and physical powers. The evil Draconics have some of its power but want all of it to control the world.

The people who are brave enough to fight against the Draconics have formed a group called “The Mutiny.” Reed starts his new journey by going to The Mutiny’s training center and becoming part of a team called “Fyra.” There, Reed learns more about his special powers, and for the first time in a long time feels accepted and part of something good. Reed tries to accept his new life and makes new relationships.

There was not anything that I did not like about the book. However, there was one episode where it was not clear on which characters were fighting and who had died. This could cause a little confusion for the readers.

The description of the future life Reed woke up to was very creative and unexpected. The author wrote in such a way as for readers to be able to clearly visualize the environment, situations, and people. Another strength of the book was that the characters were developed very well. Even though there were many characters in the story, it was easy to keep track of them all. I best liked the descriptions of each of the six Fyra team members. Each member had a unique personality, a specific power, and a fighting weapon. This showed that teamwork would be needed to fight the Draconics. Though Reed had some weaknesses, I liked Reed’s loyalty, integrity, and sense of duty.

There is a lot of mystery and intrigue to this story. Through Reed’s experiences in this new life, will he come to know who he is and be able to develop a good self-image, after years of abuse from his uncle? How will Reed get control of his anger and fight for good? Will evil overcome him? What powers will he discover? Will he find his true love?

I rate Fyra: Welcome to the Mutiny by Sunny Nicolette 3 out of 4 stars. One star was deducted because of the more than ten errors found. The plenty of action and a good story plot with well-developed characters deserve no less than a three-star rating. However, the book would deserve a four-star rating if it would undergo editing and the grammar and spelling errors were corrected. The book ended in such a way as to make me want to read the second book, which is coming soon.

This young adult science fiction book would interest not only teenagers but also adults, as there is a lot of action and adventure. There are some romance elements, but they are very clean and decent. I would not recommend this book to young children because of the complex plot, many characters, fighting, killing, and reincarnation.

Fyra
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This seems to be a complicated plot. Does it develop the relationship between Reed and his uncle before launching into the future? Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love looking at the future through someone else's eyes. I enjoy seeing how they envision it. This one sounds right up my alley, as I enjoy young adult books as well. I might have to look more into this one and see what becomes of Reed. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I like the flash to the future that you described and I also like the idea of the team. It sounds like the author did a great job developing each of the members of the team and I'd like to read about how they work together and use their strengths to fight the enemy. Despite the errors, I think this would be a book I'd enjoy reading! Thanks for the review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a really fun adventure, though I am curious about what happens to Reed's brother, Boone. I will have to keep an eye out for this book.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I do like a good science fiction book and this sounds interesting. I have to wonder what caused the time jump and why.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Letora wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 10:21 This seems to be a complicated plot. Does it develop the relationship between Reed and his uncle before launching into the future? Thank you for your review!
Yes, Reed's life with his uncle on the farm is described very well. Thanks for your comment.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I hope the evil Draconics can be defeated in the classic good vs evil battle. Thanks for your wonderful review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is intriguing! I'm wondering if Reed ever goes back? Does he ever get to see Boone again? I'm curious to whether these events are resolved by the end. Maybe there will be a sequel! Interesting review. Thanks.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Oh wow, sounds like a good read. I did not expect that twist, I wonder his it would affect the villain, his uncle. Also, nice review.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

This sounds like a book I could enjoy. I wasn't a big fan of sci-fi books, but then I read Scott Westerfield's Ugly series and found it's something I could get behind. There's nothing like a well-written novel, is there? I hope I get to read this one. Great review.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I’m really curious about this now! How does he somehow get to the future? What else happens to his brother and uncle? Great review.
~Roxie~
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

Good review! It sounds very interesting from what you’ve described, and I’m a sucker for time travel and action books.
sunflower_ssph
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunflower-ssph.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by sunflower_ssph »

The book seems extremely intersting and I cant wait to read it. Big part of my decision is thanks to your descriptive review of it. Thanks for the great work!
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

This sounds like a really fun read. I am curious about whether Reed ever goes back and what happens to his brother, Boone. I will keep an eye out for this book. Thank you for the great review 😊.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”