Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Re: Terry

Post by mama_ash »

It is sad that neither of them seemed to "care" much about it, but I don't think there was much in the storyline to carry on with it. It seemed to be something to give us insight into Adam.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

After reading the scene when Adam kidnaps Terry, I almost gave up reading the book. It was too much, too soon. Besides, I couldn't understand Adam's nonchalance with respect to Terry's death or Carly's passive behavior. She doesn't only accept what he did, but she also covers his tracks by burning the Den.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 05:06 After reading the scene when Adam kidnaps Terry, I almost gave up reading the book. It was too much, too soon. Besides, I couldn't understand Adam's nonchalance with respect to Terry's death or Carly's passive behavior. She doesn't only accept what he did, but she also covers his tracks by burning the Den.
That was big issue I had with this book too!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

mama_ash wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 19:20 It is sad that neither of them seemed to "care" much about it, but I don't think there was much in the storyline to carry on with it. It seemed to be something to give us insight into Adam.
Yeah, I thought it was a shame that Terry's death was purely used to demonstrate how bad Adam is pre-Carly... then the whole thing is just wiped clean by Carly and that is that!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

writestuff wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 13:38 The death of Terry doesn't really make sense, unless if it's used in a later book. Do feel that if my boyfriend killed a girl in a place that mixed Saw with saucy, I would have a few questions.
Right? Instead, she just says that she's not perfect either and he deserves a "fresh start"
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

nfdoughe wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:35 I found this part of the book to be extremely negative and puzzling. I realize Adam is gripped by this terrible force or whatever, but wouldn't it show itself again? Wouldn't, in all of 16 years, there be other incidents? And it's never truly explained. Why is he so strange just because he isn't around other Descendants? It took a lot for the book to get better after Terry, and mostly it only did that with space. Thinking about it again, it's pretty unforgivable. The writing makes it seem like it's actually Terry's fault for her death which is ridiculous. Carly doesn't question it, and Adam explains it away because really he was going to let her go. If either of them are supposed to be heroes, this completely eliminates that notion.
After a while I kinda felt like Terry's death was something that happened TO Adam, not because of it... It was just something that happened to him because he didn't know his past and now that he knows, they just chalk it up to ignorance?
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

I too hated the fact that Terry did not get justice, the decision by the author to leave that story line hanging did not sit well with me. I hope with the power they have they will be able to bring her back to life in the following books.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 16:40 I was really upset that Terry was never found for her family. I would have liked for Adam for face justice for what he did, but I would have really wanted for Terry’s family time put her to rest.

This part of the plot was a huge turnoff for me in this book. Not only was it upsetting, it was a loose end that was never tied up. We never find out what happened to her after she died. We just know that she ended up dead and that the only thing that was left in the room was a hair barrette of some kind.

I hope that in subsequent books Terry’s fate is addressed. To be honest, I am not hopeful, considering how other things in the book were handled.
Terry's fate should definitely come to haunt Adam in the series. Young Adults should be made to learn consequences for their actions.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 05:06 After reading the scene when Adam kidnaps Terry, I almost gave up reading the book. It was too much, too soon. Besides, I couldn't understand Adam's nonchalance with respect to Terry's death or Carly's passive behavior. She doesn't only accept what he did, but she also covers his tracks by burning the Den.
At this point of the book, I entirely believed that Adam was the villain in this book.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:57
mama_ash wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 19:20 It is sad that neither of them seemed to "care" much about it, but I don't think there was much in the storyline to carry on with it. It seemed to be something to give us insight into Adam.
Yeah, I thought it was a shame that Terry's death was purely used to demonstrate how bad Adam is pre-Carly... then the whole thing is just wiped clean by Carly and that is that!
Terry's death proved how unstable Adam emotionally is. The entire story afterwards is something that is not convincible that Adam is maturing.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

Every relationship, regardless of the tightness of the bond, has a secret or two that's better left to fade with time. Terry's death and the circumstances surrounding it makes me see Adam as a scared young man who wouldn't want his mess to destroy a beautiful romance.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

That_Reviewer wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 04:24 Every relationship, regardless of the tightness of the bond, has a secret or two that's better left to fade with time. Terry's death and the circumstances surrounding it makes me see Adam as a scared young man who wouldn't want his mess to destroy a beautiful romance.
HE KIDNAPPED AND INTENDED TO RAPE A GIRL WHICH LED TO HER DEATH!! That is NOT a secret that should be "left to fade with time"!

Terry's death was 100% Adams fault and it was premeditated! I have absolutely no sympathy for Adam. Terry's death was not something that happened TO Adam, it happened BECAUSE of him. And the last word I would use to describe him as scared.

In my opinion, it is ridiculous to paint Adam as the victim or cultivate any type of sympathy for him.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by That Reviewer »

Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 09:48
That_Reviewer wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 04:24 Every relationship, regardless of the tightness of the bond, has a secret or two that's better left to fade with time. Terry's death and the circumstances surrounding it makes me see Adam as a scared young man who wouldn't want his mess to destroy a beautiful romance.
HE KIDNAPPED AND INTENDED TO RAPE A GIRL WHICH LED TO HER DEATH!! That is NOT a secret that should be "left to fade with time"!

Terry's death was 100% Adams fault and it was premeditated! I have absolutely no sympathy for Adam. Terry's death was not something that happened TO Adam, it happened BECAUSE of him. And the last word I would use to describe him as scared.

In my opinion, it is ridiculous to paint Adam as the victim or cultivate any type of sympathy for him.
Truth is, the author had a choice two choices: follow the trend and Adam becomes a villain to the end or take a different angle to elicit discussions like this.

However, I've seen a couple things in my life to believe that there's nothing that can't be swept over, provided the parties involved agree to keep it so.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

That_Reviewer wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 10:47

Truth is, the author had a choice two choices: follow the trend and Adam becomes a villain to the end or take a different angle to elicit discussions like this.

However, I've seen a couple things in my life to believe that there's nothing that can't be swept over, provided the parties involved agree to keep it so.
I don't think that there are just two choices...There are no limits to one's imagination!

And I am sorry, but I have to disagree and I am quite shocked to believe that anyone would put what happened to Terry in the category of things that can be "swept over"... and find it quite unsettling that you do...

I am all for second chances, but if I found out that someone I just met had such a violent and disturbing secret, I would not be able to just get over it... I mean, we all have things that we have done in our past we don't feel proud of but that's more than a little extreme...
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by That Reviewer »

Nym182 wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 11:01
That_Reviewer wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 10:47

I don't think that there are just two choices...There are no limits to one's imagination!

And I am sorry, but I have to disagree and I am quite shocked to believe that anyone would put what happened to Terry in the category of things that can be "swept over"... and find it quite unsettling that you do...

I am all for second chances, but if I found out that someone I just met had such a violent and disturbing secret, I would not be able to just get over it... I mean, we all have things that we have done in our past we don't feel proud of but that's more than a little extreme...
Don't get me wrong. I don't tolerate people doing bad stuff intentionally neither do I make excuses for them. However, things happen in this life that will make you open minded, just as an emotional cushion.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”