father

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Re: father

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Howlan wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 09:19
Nym182 wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 13:55
ciecheesemeister wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 19:39 Mark seemed like a weak character (his cheating and gaslighting his wife) but I thought his death was a bit harsh. Perhaps it was supposed to illustrate that Adam had gained the ability to feel remorse, even about the death of a person whom he had a contentious relationship with.
I also felt that his death/character was treated very harshly... Especially considering he wasn't involved with the bond between Jo and Adam... That really could have made him feel left out, (which Adams distaste for him didn't help) which could have lead to his cheating... (obviously I am not condoning what he did) I just kinda felt his character was created just for adam to hate and that's it... his character could have been developed a bit more... I think it would have been interesting if Adam had a decent relationship with him That would have caused more turmoil within adam after finding out that he cheating on his mom. Instead, his cheating just proved Adam right.
Yes, when finally Adam came to his senses and thought that he needs to deal properly with his father, he was killed off. The author wasted a huge subplot to carelessly killing Adam's father.
I think the author took the easy way out with this one instead of finding a way to develop Mark and Adam’s relationship.

On the one hand Dauma says he was worth saving and then suddenly she’s out of control and kills him? I don’t think that happened at all. I think she saw they were losing and felt there was no other choice.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

In the book, Carly did say something about her mother not having to use that much energy or whatnot. Dauma's line is something like "Your mother is not a dumb woman", so we're left to believe there is some reason for it all. At the same time, it was said that if Adam's father hadn't been standing, he would have survived. So it's his fault? I don't know, I wasn't thrilled with the whole situation. It seems off.
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by mama_ash »

It does seem like a bit of a selfish move - she's so powerful that I think she could have saved him and still completed her mission. But, maybe his death was something the author wanted to incorporate in such a way.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

In a twisted way, I guess Adam's father's death was a form of punishment for the fact that he cheated on Jo. However, it came out of nowhere and was not in accordance with what we knew of Dauma's great power.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 10:06

I also felt that his death/character was treated very harshly... Especially considering he wasn't involved with the bond between Jo and Adam... That really could have made him feel left out, (which Adams distaste for him didn't help) which could have lead to his cheating... (obviously I am not condoning what he did) I just kinda felt his character was created just for adam to hate and that's it... his character could have been developed a bit more... I think it would have been interesting if Adam had a decent relationship with him That would have caused more turmoil within adam after finding out that he cheating on his mom. Instead, his cheating just proved Adam right.
Yes, when finally Adam came to his senses and thought that he needs to deal properly with his father, he was killed off. The author wasted a huge subplot to carelessly killing Adam's father.
I think the author took the easy way out with this one instead of finding a way to develop Mark and Adam’s relationship.

On the one hand Dauma says he was worth saving and then suddenly she’s out of control and kills him? I don’t think that happened at all. I think she saw they were losing and felt there was no other choice.
Yes, considering the fact that their next meeting could force some great questions for Adam, it was a waste of a character.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 05:16 In a twisted way, I guess Adam's father's death was a form of punishment for the fact that he cheated on Jo. However, it came out of nowhere and was not in accordance with what we knew of Dauma's great power.
I think that was too harsh a punishment for adultry. And from what it looked like, he loved his son even if Adam did not love him back.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

nfdoughe wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 11:29 In the book, Carly did say something about her mother not having to use that much energy or whatnot. Dauma's line is something like "Your mother is not a dumb woman", so we're left to believe there is some reason for it all. At the same time, it was said that if Adam's father hadn't been standing, he would have survived. So it's his fault? I don't know, I wasn't thrilled with the whole situation. It seems off.
Yes, "Your mother is not a dumb woman" is a kind of tagline for Dauma, and she lived maintaining that for most of the time except at the end when the loss of her mother hits her emotionally and she makes some bad judgements.
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I don't believe Dauma was selfish. I think it could have been stopped, but in the chaos of war, Dauma might have lost control of her powers. With Dauma seemingly having the most experience with using and controlling her abilities, I found that a bit odd, but it wasn't a selfish move.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

rbrochhausen wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 17:26 I don't believe Dauma was selfish. I think it could have been stopped, but in the chaos of war, Dauma might have lost control of her powers. With Dauma seemingly having the most experience with using and controlling her abilities, I found that a bit odd, but it wasn't a selfish move.
I get your point, I don't think that she did it with her full consciousness. She was laden with grief and the actions she took was totally not in her right state of mind.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I am wondering at what point Dauma realized that the captive was Adam's father?? Everyone just accepted her word (that the captive was Adam's father) when the only evidence was a skeleton on the truck.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

kdstrack wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 23:39 I am wondering at what point Dauma realized that the captive was Adam's father?? Everyone just accepted her word (that the captive was Adam's father) when the only evidence was a skeleton on the truck.
That's a really interesting point!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It was actually Jocelyn (Eastman's) comment about the author "taking the easy way out," that made me consider this possibility. After all, most of the characters seem to have some kind of power. Jo was "given" a special ability. Is there something we don't know - yet - about Adam's father?? (Thank you Jocelyn for that insight!!)
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 16:00 I thought that her lack of control made her a more interesting character - it's nice to know that someone perceived as being so powerful and being a leader could have flaws too!
I agree with this. Dauma was a badass, that's for sure. And her lack of control added a bit of dimension to her character.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 19:39 Mark seemed like a weak character (his cheating and gaslighting his wife) but I thought his death was a bit harsh. Perhaps it was supposed to illustrate that Adam had gained the ability to feel remorse, even about the death of a person whom he had a contentious relationship with.
Man, with all of the sh*t that was going on in the book, I entirely forgot that Adam's dad cheated on his mom. There was a lot of crazy sh*t going on in that book.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

That's a good point. There was a chance for Adam to develop as a character, and that opportunity was essentially stolen from him.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”