Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by Gigareads »

I thought the series started out strong and I loved learning about the world it takes place in. I also liked most of the characters and thought the books had great character development. But as the books went on I didn't enjoy it as much. I would still recommend it to a friend but suggest maybe skipping the last book or at least warn them to have a box of tissues nearby when reading it.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I really liked Divergent and give it a 3 out of 4 stars rating. The characters being a little too simplistic was a little off-putting.
Mtaew18
Currently Reading: Blue Sky Lightning
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Mtaew18 »

I found this book interesting, but it got confusing fast to the point that it was hard to understand what was happening. Even after reading the second half of the book multiple times, I still have no clue what happened.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

This book was disappointing to me because I assumed it would be a rebuilding effort. Instead everyone seems to be OK with the one group still coming into their areas and killing whoever they wish. There was just a lot of death. The whole thing just didn't seem realistic, showing a very jaded idea of how people are.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I think this is a really successful YA book, its fun, tense and exciting
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I would recommend it to many people interested in a YA novel because it was an interesting book; I found the whole simulation serum and the five different factions thought-provoking and understandably flawed. I thought it was done well, and it was good, but not great. While it's not the best YA out there, I found the characters and the plot fun and appealing.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Didn't enjoy this very much unfortunately. I read The Hunger Games first and to me it just seems like another of the countless books that THG inspired, none of them quite as good as THG. Funnily enough, one of my friends read Divergent before THG and said she thought THG was worse and too similar to Divergent.
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

I did find it interesting, I liked the idea of different factions and the combinations of different mind sets. The fight scenes really allow your imagination to run wild and the author's style of writing was something I really liked but I felt that the relationship between Tobias and Tris was way too predictable and happened too fast . I wouldn't watch the movie because I've seen many movies based on books I have read, got excited about it and then found that my imagination is better.
+SeptemberMak
Currently Reading: History Is All You Left Me
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by +SeptemberMak »

For me it was a 1.5 of 4.

I was recommended to read Divergent by a friend before the movies came out.
Being the very first YA Novel I would read, I was excited, but ended up honestly disappointed.

I just couldn't relate to the main character, Tris. Most dialogues were her inner thoughts and she just kept changing her mind about her choices on every chapter. I also found the secondary characters were somewhat generic "friends", "love interest" and "villain", with only one having a meaningful impact to the overall story, but quickly forgotten over.

The world building was truly interesting, but somewhat hard to believe it'd be able to sustain itself for so long.

On a brighter note the book handled action well, keeping things exciting on the final chapters.
Whelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Whelly »

Divergent was number 1 book to read for MONTHS. I loved the idea of the five factions and the main characters personality. Not to say it better than other books, but i do recommend it! Although i do regret reading the last few chapters of the 3rd book in the series, Allegiant
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

I haven't read this one nor have I seen the movie. I thought this might be something of a goldilocks mix of tropes - it'll be a hit-or-miss depending on when you read it - and I was wary of reading it just right after my YA dystopia has been sated by Hunger Games and Maze Runner. Anyway, I'll come back to this after reading/watching the series. It's been recommended a lot to me after all.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I really liked it. To be quite honest, I didn't expect that much from a story that became comercial so easily, but then again, not because something is popular it means it is bad, and Divergent was a pleasing surprise on the matter. I think it is a pretty decent description of a few things going on in our current society, like the way either consciously or not,we tend to hyperfocus in the status quo we are assigned, and separate from people we don't really consider part of our group, and the dangers such behaviour entails.
Erth3r
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Erth3r »

Divergent has forever changed how I act and think about everything. You can see how much This grows throughout the book, and how certain things that her old faction restricted about come free. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I like the whole dystopian environment. But the world ends up being much more interesting than the main character. After all, my favorite part of the series is when you discover that origin of the factions. It is a book more suitable for a young audience, but it is a good one. I would rate it a 3 out of 5.
banevius
Currently Reading: Bones and the Treasure Map
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banevius.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by banevius »

I absolutely loved Divergent! For me, this was the best book in the series. I especially love the start of a new series like this in which there are rules to be learned such as all the different factions and what they mean. These simple elements help to make this book stand out among the rest. Over the course of the series, I felt that each book got slightly worse with the 4th book being the worst in the series. The movies didn't help either.

Tris' character was both very believable and relatable. Four was believable, but I don't think he was as relatable as Tris. I loved Eric's character as one of the main antagonists.

I would definitely recommend Divergent to anyone who enjoyed other Young Adult books like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner. I think the exciting plot and the rules of the different factions would be most interesting to those who love the other series I've mentioned.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”