Official Review: The Will to Die by Joe Pulizzi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: The Will to Die by Joe Pulizzi

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Will to Die" by Joe Pulizzi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will, who owned PT Marketing with his partner and friend Robby, was in an important business meeting when he got the message that his father, Abe, had passed away. Abe owned a funeral home in Sandusky, Ohio. After going home, Will finds out from his sister that something had not been right with their father for some time, and she didn’t believe he died naturally.

Will inherited the funeral home, and while examining the books, he noticed the business had dropped off significantly over the last two years. He discovered his father had taken a life settlement to help keep the business afloat. A life settlement is when someone sells their life insurance policy to a third party at a significantly reduced price to cover their bills. When that person dies, the third party makes a huge profit from the transaction. One of the funeral home’s customers, whose father had recently died, mentioned that her father also had a life settlement policy.

Will has a gambling problem, and while at a Gamblers Anonymous meeting, he encountered a man who was an insurance salesman. When asked about life settlements, he decided to investigate. He found that many life settlements were being bought in Sandusky and about half were bought from minorities. Robby, who is black, came to visit Will for emotional support. Robby pointed out to him that almost no minorities were seen anywhere they went.

Will finds clues that lead him to believe there is a dark conspiracy going on in Sandusky. Seeking the truth will put Will, his family, and friends in danger.

The Will to Die by Joe Pulizzi is a mystery/crime drama told from Will’s point of view. Each chapter has a heading that hints at what is coming in that chapter. Because the author has owned a marketing company and is knowledgeable about it, he makes the story believable. Having written several business books previously, this is his first mystery. I think he did a magnificent job with this novel.

The beginning was slow as the groundwork was laid for the story and the funeral took place. If I had to select something that could be improved, it would be the beginning, which perhaps had a little too much information about the funeral. This was a minor issue, though, and did not significantly interfere with my enjoyment of the book. Then, about halfway through the story, the action picks up, and the novel roars to a suspenseful finish. The thrilling action in the second half of the book is my favorite aspect.

The writing is easy to understand, plausible, and flows smoothly from one point to the next. All the questions are answered by the end.

Since the story is depicted from Will’s point of view, we get to perceive how he thinks and feels, and this makes it easy to bond with him. His character is well developed. He struggles with weaknesses, especially of being an addicted gambler. However, Will is brave and tries to utilize his ability to think swiftly on his feet in order to survive. He is likable and credible.

I only detected a few minor errors, mostly with missing commas. Therefore, I believe this book is professionally edited.

This mystery is eloquently written and has a suspenseful second half. I found it difficult to put down. Because it is also well edited, The Will to Die achieves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Readers who like crime dramas and suspense novels would appreciate this book. A few profanities were seen; therefore, it is not appropriate for young children.

The Will to Die
View: on Bookshelves
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

Thanks for explaining about a life settlement, as I wouldn't have known what it meant otherwise.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Amy747 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 01:52 Thanks for explaining about a life settlement, as I wouldn't have known what it meant otherwise.
You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

This book sounds very interesting and something I would like. I had never heard of life settlements before. Thank you for your review.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

The beginning of a novel is vital in engaging the reader and laying the foundation. I agree with you that it needs to be improved. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Shabram22 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 23:52 This book sounds very interesting and something I would like. I had never heard of life settlements before. Thank you for your review.
It was new to me as well. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Julius_ wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 07:04 The beginning of a novel is vital in engaging the reader and laying the foundation. I agree with you that it needs to be improved. Thanks for the review.
Yes, you are right. I had trouble really getting into the novel in the beginning. However, it made up for it later. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Julius!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent, insightful review! I am glad you loved the book despite the slow start. It's very creative that the author gave a hint of things to come in the title of each chapter!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Thanks for the heads up on the slower start to the book. I think it’s awesome that the author was able to use personal experience to make the book believable and exciting, though! And thanks for another fun and informative review :)
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

Thanks to your review I am very interested in this book. I definitely want to put it on my to-read list! The life settlement part gets me intrigued for sure.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I didn't know life insurance policy can be sold to a third-party. But something seems fishy with Abe's case. Despite the slow-pace at the beginning of the story, I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. I might consider the book. Thanks for the review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I’m eager to learn how life settlements work and how Will gets to manage the funeral home given he is a gambler. Thanks for the review
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

bookowlie wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 12:10 Excellent, insightful review! I am glad you loved the book despite the slow start. It's very creative that the author gave a hint of things to come in the title of each chapter!
Yes, it is. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 13:22 Thanks for the heads up on the slower start to the book. I think it’s awesome that the author was able to use personal experience to make the book believable and exciting, though! And thanks for another fun and informative review :)
Thanks, my friend, for stopping by and reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Sydney Lee wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 18:48 Thanks to your review I am very interested in this book. I definitely want to put it on my to-read list! The life settlement part gets me intrigued for sure.
I think you will enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”