Better as an adult book

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Re: Better as an adult book

Post by nfdoughe »

While I was reading it, I didn't give a thought to it being YA. It is absolutely not material for the youngest levels of that age group. It would make a much better book if it was aimed at older audiences. That being said, it would still have to improve exponentially before it was a great book.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

I think if this had been written with a more adult audience in mind, it could have been much more than it is. There was a lot of potential to this book that i think was wasted. The author could have explored mental illness and psychopathic behaviour, but didn't. This could easily have been a really dark book but was probably held back for the sake of the intended audience.
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by mama_ash »

This is something I hadn't thought about until reading this, but you're right - it is a bit exotic for a YA audience.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

It's definitely not a good option for teenagers, especially considering Adam's vulgar language, his aggressive attitude, Terry's kidnapping and death, or the characters' often abnormal sexual behavior. The novel is perhaps too much for an YA book and too little for a sci-fi thriller. With changes, it could have worked better both ways.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

This is the same reaction I had to The Thornbirds. Although it was about young adults the shock value places it more in the adult theater.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

nfdoughe wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 11:11 While I was reading it, I didn't give a thought to it being YA. It is absolutely not material for the youngest levels of that age group. It would make a much better book if it was aimed at older audiences. That being said, it would still have to improve exponentially before it was a great book.
I agree on both counts! Within the first page I was like... THIS IS FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS?!

Personally, I felt like the author had a great concept but let things get away from her as she focused on Adam + Carly. It also kinda felt like two stories she kinda mushed together.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 14:43 I think if this had been written with a more adult audience in mind, it could have been much more than it is. There was a lot of potential to this book that i think was wasted. The author could have explored mental illness and psychopathic behaviour, but didn't. This could easily have been a really dark book but was probably held back for the sake of the intended audience.
I felt the same way! I really wanted to see the author lean into the dark and grittiness she is obviously capable of... just not in a book for teenagers. A lot of missed opportunities.

Someone else made the point that the branding could have had a vast impact on things which is a shame... I mean, I understand... you want your book to make some money and YA is a popular genre. But writing a gritty book and chopping it up to fit YA guidelines just didn't work.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

mama_ash wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 19:16 This is something I hadn't thought about until reading this, but you're right - it is a bit exotic for a YA audience.
There were quite a few bizarre sexual hints that really threw me off... like Adam watching Carly shower and her just not acknowledging it? ~shudders~
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 05:12 It's definitely not a good option for teenagers, especially considering Adam's vulgar language, his aggressive attitude, Terry's kidnapping and death, or the characters' often abnormal sexual behavior. The novel is perhaps too much for an YA book and too little for a sci-fi thriller. With changes, it could have worked better both ways.
Exactly! It's like the author couldn't decide which genre she wanted to do.
Nym182

Post by Nym182 »

djr6090 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 09:34 This is the same reaction I had to The Thornbirds. Although it was about young adults the shock value places it more in the adult theater.
Hmm the Thornbirds? I don't think I've heard of that one! Do you recommend it? (I am no stranger to dark subject matter)
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Tan TR wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 18:01 The dark and creepy parts of the book would have been great if the author would have really dug deep into them. The fact that the book was for young adults made me cringe as I read it, because some aspects of it definitely did not feel ideal for impressionable readers. It made the whole thing feel off for me, which made me enjoy it less. HOWEVER, a completely dark and creepy book without any holding back, with the same fantasy aspect of it, would be great!
Yes, the author wanted to mix two different aspects but the result could have been a lot better.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 10:32
djr6090 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 09:34 This is the same reaction I had to The Thornbirds. Although it was about young adults the shock value places it more in the adult theater.
Hmm the Thornbirds? I don't think I've heard of that one! Do you recommend it? (I am no stranger to dark subject matter)
Colleen McCollough's novel about an Australia orphan who has an affair with a Catholic priest. A hefty dose of dark pathos.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

There are some YA books that get quite dark and do it well, using the darkness to juxtapose innocence (or lack of it) in young characters. However, I do think that the sexual nature of some of the scenes was a little much for a book featuring high school students. It always makes me feel a little weird to think about adults reading a book about high school students in sexual situations.
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

You are right. This is really a dark tale. Too dark for teens. It would be better for adults. The author might have had a good intention, but I don't think this genre is a good fit for the book.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I think the YA classification is appropriate because of the permissiveness of today's society compared to older generations. Besides Sci-fi is mostly read by the YA readership than any other category. Just my thinking.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”