one word or two

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

one word or two

Post by Diana Lowery »

I am writing a review and want to use the word "leathersmith." It comes up as one word on various websites, but several grammar checkers flag it that way. I would like to have a clarification before I submit my review, and I don't want to just choose another word to use instead. I would appreciate your input.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

If it appears that way in at least one reputable dictionary, you may use it. Tip: You can include a note in the list of errors about the source of your spelling. The editor will appreciate it. Unnecessary rechecks are a waste of valuable time for both reviewer and editor, not counting the stress. Good luck!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 23:45 If it appears that way in at least one reputable dictionary, you may use it. Tip: You can include a note in the list of errors about the source of your spelling. The editor will appreciate it. Unnecessary rechecks are a waste of valuable time for both reviewer and editor, not counting the stress. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I did not know it was possible to include notes in the list of errors.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

diana lowery wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 08:51
Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 23:45 If it appears that way in at least one reputable dictionary, you may use it. Tip: You can include a note in the list of errors about the source of your spelling. The editor will appreciate it. Unnecessary rechecks are a waste of valuable time for both reviewer and editor, not counting the stress. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I did not know it was possible to include notes in the list of errors.
Well, I do it myself, so I guess it can be done, especially if it will save all concerned time and effort. I suppose that word appears in the book too, so it would be relevant to the list. Just make sure your note is clearly not part of the list of counted errors. (I hope I am not confusing you.)
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 09:07
diana lowery wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 08:51
Well, I do it myself, so I guess it can be done, especially if it will save all concerned time and effort. I suppose that word appears in the book too, so it would be relevant to the list. Just make sure your note is clearly not part of the list of counted errors. (I hope I am not confusing you.)
Confusion is my normal state, but you have not contributed to it. I appreciate the advice.

Return to “International Grammar”